Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluffy is getting on my tits

Borg Warner EFR 6258 well that would be my next choice of turbo. Far more advanced than any garrett unit on sale at the moment. Only trouble is they can be hard to source from what I've read and price tag of 1k+ maybe next year for me.

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/...hp-p-4850.html
    Last edited by Logg; 19-04-2013 at 07:29.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have thought even as big as a .86 would spool late. I get full boost by 4k with a .86 rear(can't really go into detail about wheel sizes and trim etc... As I don't know) on a b18ft so with the extra capacity and better flowing head you should get full boost a fair bit earlier.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

be one of these
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTX

this one for faster response

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GRT+ billet compressor wheel

or this one for out right power, without toooo much lag

you've got the cams / head / exhaust system for it

perfect

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Borg Warner EFR 6258 well that would be my next choice of turbo. Far more advanced than any garrett unit on sale at the moment. Only trouble is they can be hard to source from what I've read and price tag of 1k+ maybe next year for me.

although the borgwarners do look really good, and have many more gret features as logg has mentioned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post

Looks like the kiddy to me , but 1K - my car's not worth 1K

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    be one of these
    http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTX

this one for faster response

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GRT+ billet compressor wheel

or this one for out right power, without toooo much lag

you've got the cams / head / exhaust system for it

perfect
    Are you mad, I have a 1.4C1J .86 AR, I think you've lost it. That said, I think you know more about this than I do.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what power you want and the engine can handle and what you want the car to do there is no point in having a turbo that is massive and laggy but gives you massive power if you want a fast street car or the other way round you want a drag car and run a tiny turbo and it runs out of steam by 5000rpm. Txt me what kind of drive you are after and power and I will run through some bits and I can look at some compressor maps and come up with a few turbos at different budgets for you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    It really depends on what power you want and the engine can handle and what you want the car to do there is no point in having a turbo that is massive and laggy but gives you massive power if you want a fast street car or the other way round you want a drag car and run a tiny turbo and it runs out of steam by 5000rpm. Txt me what kind of drive you are after and power and I will run through some bits and I can look at some compressor maps and come up with a few turbos at different budgets for you
    Can we do it on here JP, and give some idea of how best to look at this so it's usefull to others and also a permanent reference for myself? Possibly do a write up on turbo sizing for Sparkies LOL under the Tech section. I'll kick it off if you like?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Are you mad, I have a 1.4C1J .86 AR, I think you've lost it. That said, I think you know more about this than I do.

look again andy.......the first turbo is only running a 53.86 turbine wheel with a 76 trim , thats about the same size your running now but this has a bigger trim ,so should flow a lot better,aided by a 11 billet blade compressor wheel for maxium airflow, your piss poor turbine is about the same size, but with a much smaller trim , ie your exhaust gases are backing up /reversion/choking your engine, as it cant get rid of the gases quick enough top end, hence your not getting the magic 230 bhp you keep asking /trying to get

you have to purchase the ar turbine housing yourself(exhaust side) prob a .63 in your case.

the second turbo is running a 56mm turbine wheel , hardly world shattering sizes here.... again you can choose your own ar turbine housing, this maybe a bit bigger laggier than your use to, but you did say rosses was about this size, so please dont **** yourself, if you want bigger whp then you need to pump more air, the turbo is the pump the bigger the turbo the more you flow ,the more you get at expense of lag, but as i said both of the above are well within your limits, the turbo logg mentioned had a 58mm turbine, which is bigger than both of the above i mentioned you think my turbo's big ... it will prob push around 450 maybe absolute max 500bhp on my engine, without pushing stupid boost and stupidly high air intake temps, to put things into prospective for you

also a certain very high powered c1j , was running the same turbo as mine, probabley with a smaller ar. turbine housing, and lot of other mods and managed 405bhp before hitting the wall so to speak, so in relation, the turbo's ive mentioned are well within your scope, stop ****ing around with everything else on your engine, and change the one thing that has been repeated to you, over and over ,for the past 12 months

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No need for the .63/64 rear housing.. Mine only ran a .49 rear and that made good power.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave, what turbo did you run , and what power did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

look again andy.......the first turbo is only running a 53.86 turbine wheel with a 76 trim , thats about the same size your running now but this has a bigger trim ,so should flow a lot better,aided by a 11 billet blade compressor wheel for maxium airflow, your piss poor turbine is about the same size, but with a much smaller trim , ie your exhaust gases are backing up /reversion/choking your engine, as it cant get rid of the gases quick enough top end, hence your not getting the magic 230 bhp you keep asking /trying to get

you have to purchase the ar turbine housing yourself(exhaust side) prob a .63 in your case.

the second turbo is running a 56mm turbine wheel , hardly world shattering sizes here.... again you can choose your own ar turbine housing, this maybe a bit bigger laggier than your use to, but you did say rosses was about this size, so please dont **** yourself, if you want bigger whp then you need to pump more air, the turbo is the pump the bigger the turbo the more you flow ,the more you get at expense of lag, but as i said both of the above are well within your limits, the turbo logg mentioned had a 58mm turbine, which is bigger than both of the above i mentioned you think my turbo's big ... it will prob push around 450 maybe absolute max 500bhp on my engine, without pushing stupid boost and stupidly high air intake temps, to put things into prospective for you

also a certain very high powered c1j , was running the same turbo as mine, probabley with a smaller ar. turbine housing, and lot of other mods and managed 405bhp before hitting the wall so to speak, so in relation, the turbo's ive mentioned are well within your scope, stop ****ing around with everything else on your engine, and change the one thing that has been repeated to you, over and over ,for the past 12 months
    Cheers for that Andy - I thought that the trim was the A/R when I read it LOL. what you're saying makes sense, but if I'm gonna spunk £££ I wasnt to do this by calculation rather than, this should do this and this should do that. I need to get in Ross's also to get some idea of the Laggy nature.

I am pretty sure that what you're saying is right now, and it's just a case of getting the right info together now and I should be upto the 230 mark which really is as far as I would like to go on stock internals. I might be pushing it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    No need for the .63/64 rear housing.. Mine only ran a .49 rear and that made good power.
    What power where you getting without Nos D? And what trim etc you got on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh bollox - just **** me self.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for that Andy - I thought that the trim was the A/R when I read it LOL. what you're saying makes sense, but if I'm gonna spunk £££ I wasnt to do this by calculation rather than, this should do this and this should do that. I need to get in Ross's also to get some idea of the Laggy nature.

I am pretty sure that what you're saying is right now, and it's just a case of getting the right info together now and I should be upto the 230 mark which really is as far as I would like to go on stock internals. I might be pushing it at that.

punching figures ito a calculator and plotting on a compressor map etc will only give you rough figures and will not give you the exact anwsers your looking for only a "rough ball park figure" if your happy with the results ross has had with his , then get the turbine wheel dimesions/compressor wheel dimensions/ air ratio of his housings, and go from there

any of those two turbos will give you great results, more so than what ross will get out of the unit he is running at present, no slating intended, just facts, the gtx roller unit is going to outflow, out preform an, old skool journal unit, in everyway

as dave mentioned , maybe drop the turbine down to a .49 , to help keep lag to a minimum.

as regards to engine, you've got 285 cam and springs/12.9 headbolts, a decent front mount, and free flowing exhaust.... your fine , you need nothing more apart from a decent blower and some boost, and you will get the numbers and more

forgot to add full stand alone ecu, and fuel injection, fully ported head............yours should be better than most other c1j engines with that little lot in place
    and unless your reving to 7500rpm plus , your valve train will be fine also
    Last edited by HAndy; 21-04-2013 at 19:27.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave, what turbo did you run , and what power did you get?
    Aka blyton rollers last year and it made 279 at 1.5/6 bar of boost..(perhaps they were out???) should find out soon when Jesus gets it up and running on scoffs rollers..

Unfortunately I don't know the wheel sizes, but the front housing was a/r 80 and rear .49..
    Was a t28 also with a bb core..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks dave

i wonder if it was the gt28rs

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was the same turbo that Stuart Clarke used to run.. Well that's what my friend at turbo dynamics said

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry dont do face book, so cant relly make out the detail, but great results

im sure your new f7 engine will out preform those results

andy will be a drooling mess in the corner, once he gets his pies on those graphs

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry dont do face book, so cant relly make out the detail, but great results

im sure your new f7 engine will out preform those results

andy will be a drooling mess in the corner, once he gets his pies on those graphs
    Haha bless him

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a drooling mess

Wowzzers - not much else I can say really is there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

in fairness andy , i ****ed up the first time and fitted way to smaller unit for my goals aspirations to my swbc, and paid the price litrally

oli was going to do the same, but after pestering him, and showing him my orginal poor results, it clicked , and he has the makings of powerful f7 also

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a drooling mess

Wowzzers - not much else I can say really is there.
    Nope... Just stop being a tight arse northerner n get ya wallet out!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave , you now know what TNT ANDY stands for....
    tight northern tuning......

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was working out what size you need next and I personally think this on your car would make good numbers

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...PT118-CEA®/329

Be good for around 2000bhp for track days and then you could turn the boost up to make almost 3000bhp for showing off

Post Thanks / Like

Ok on a more serious note what are your power goals and do you want to future proof it in case you want more also do you want to run lower boost levels ie use a bigger turbo and have some lag or do you want to run a higher boost level and still have it very responsive with as small a unit you can get away with also what spec turbo do you currently have and I would like compressor size and turbine size I can work all the trims out with that info and it gives us a good base to work from plus also we know what turbos work on the c1j we can compare them to what you have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    Ok on a more serious note what are your power goals and do you want to future proof it in case you want more also do you want to run lower boost levels ie use a bigger turbo and have some lag or do you want to run a higher boost level and still have it very responsive with as small a unit you can get away with also what spec turbo do you currently have and I would like compressor size and turbine size I can work all the trims out with that info and it gives us a good base to work from plus also we know what turbos work on the c1j we can compare them to what you have
    Jp continue this here

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=28903

Post Thanks / Like

Arrrrgghhhhhh

I have everything to get Fluffy back on the road good n proper, about 3 hours work, but I am being dogged by 'other stuff'. I've been trying to squeeze time on it since Thursday last week but don't get the opportunity. I thought I might get on it tonight, but the Mrs Cooper has just spat a wheel bearing FFS, got a carpet being fitted Saturday and I need to finish decorating that room! Just can't catch a break.

Is this just me, or does it seem like the world is against you sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just you, saved up a little bit of money and sold some bits and bobs so I could do some work on mine, fence blew down, bye bye money

Saw a bank advert on tv, you may have seen it, the mustang fund, I laughed as it's so true

Post Thanks / Like

Well there we have it, back on the road again now with no issues. Big thanks to scoff and the lads @ Adaptronic, best customer service I've ever had from them both. The only trouble now, is that I spent most of yesterday out in a 300bhp VX220, and now my 5 feels slow.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger turbo, 35 psi and nitrous... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Arrrrgghhhhhh

I have everything to get Fluffy back on the road good n proper, about 3 hours work, but I am being dogged by 'other stuff'. I've been trying to squeeze time on it since Thursday last week but don't get the opportunity. I thought I might get on it tonight, but the Mrs Cooper has just spat a wheel bearing FFS, got a carpet being fitted Saturday and I need to finish decorating that room! Just can't catch a break.

At least mini wheel bearings are easy fella, £30 and a 20min job to replace the whole lot unbolts from the hub :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Bigger turbo, 35 psi and nitrous... lol
    LOL - definitely bigger turbo on the cards (later this year) 35psi, what do you think my name is? Jesus? LOL, and nitrous is for cheats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    At least mini wheel bearings are easy fella, £30 and a 20min job to replace the whole lot unbolts from the hub :-)
    Yeh , looks easy don't it. But when you realise that 4 out of 4 bolts are not accessible and are really badly corroded due to 93,000 miles exposed to the worst, then you find out the bolts are imperial sized (half inch) just after you've rounded them off because you have used metric tools, yeh a piece of piss

That said, it's done now.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah bad times, I've done a couple but must have got lucky by the sounds of it, used a 13mm without even thinking it could have been imperial, a wobble extension helped too as they were nicely tucked behind everything

At least u got it done tho. Back onto fluffy now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    Ah bad times, I've done a couple but must have got lucky by the sounds of it, used a 13mm without even thinking it could have been imperial, a wobble extension helped too as they were nicely tucked behind everything

At least u got it done tho. Back onto fluffy now?
    yup - new ecu in and running well, but interestingly enough, I've been looking at a comparable map on my turbo and it looks like I'm well of the scale when it comes to running above 16 psi. assuming I've done my calculations right. I can only run 16psi, anything above that and I'm just pushing hot air in.

I saw JP last week and we're going to have a look at some options, the 2552 spec which has been mentioned before seems to fit the bill perfectly. I'll write up about looking at maps etc on my 'Turbo spec' topic.

I got 210bhp @ 24psi from this blower, no wonder Scoff couldn't get any more out of it. It looks like the turbo I had custom made for 200bhp did what I asked but outside it's natural limits and inefficiently also.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh , looks easy don't it. But when you realise that 4 out of 4 bolts are not accessible and are really badly corroded due to 93,000 miles exposed to the worst, then you find out the bolts are imperial sized (half inch) just after you've rounded them off because you have used metric tools, yeh a piece of piss

That said, it's done now.
    New style mini? Bottom ball join comes undone really easy pop shaft out gun bolts clean hub pop the new one on, easiest wheel bearing ever. Unless you try and do it with the shaft in situ...... Then it's a hitch

Post Thanks / Like

Everytime I see the title of this thread, I have a little giggle. . . .

. . . "Fluffy".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    New style mini? Bottom ball join comes undone really easy pop shaft out gun bolts clean hub pop the new one on, easiest wheel bearing ever. Unless you try and do it with the shaft in situ...... Then it's a hitch
    LOL - Thats exacly what I did

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at maps etc (I know I need to get back to this in the other thread) I have identified that @ 21 psi, I'm pushing the turbo I have way beyond it's limit. Looking at a similar map from a similar turbo, the max I can really push on this turbo is about 16 psi.
    So that's what I've been doing this morning. I set it up for 16 psi and when for a blat.

is an understatement - it when very well, not as brutal as 21 psi, but cleaner, more solid and my charge cooler temps are in check now as I'm not simply shoving supper heated air into my engine. So 16 psi, is max for this set-up. I will get another turbo sorted for Fluff, but not this season as I'm too close to events now to be faffing around with her and tbh, I'm happy as she is. Later on this year and after a bit of experiment and hopefully if one or 2 of the members with bigger spec turbo's will take me out on national day and a good bit of chin wagging here and there, I should be able to get the right turbo for my needs.

I'll get some video up later.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    sounds good.
    it really was, I'm so suprised at how good 16psi felt.

still need a bigger turbo though

Post Thanks / Like

Not the most inspiring of vids as it was done on phone.

http://db.tt/Ofidqeka

Hope that works.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

you running a dv on that andy?

check what psi its breaking at, as you might find its loosing you precious boost, some if not all come with low rating psi springs in them, and crack way to early when on it, above 8 psi normaly
    yes i know youve got vac line against it 99% of the time but its just a thought , yours maybe fine , i static checked all of mine (6 in total, including the tial 50mm) and all apart from the 2x rubber diaphram forge items and the fse recirc leaked past 14psi, even with springs correctly rated, i was well pissed of, as the tial was money too

Post Thanks / Like

you running a dv on that andy?

check what psi its breaking at, as you might find its loosing you precious boost, some if not all come with low rating psi springs in them, and crack way to early when on it, above 8 psi normaly
    yes i know youve got vac line against it 99% of the time but its just a thought , yours maybe fine , i static checked all of mine (6 in total, including the tial 50mm) and all apart from the 2x rubber diaphram forge items and the fse recirc leaked past 14psi, even with springs correctly rated, i was well pissed of, as the tial was money too
    i have a vac pump, and I have a compressor - Shouldn't be to difficult. Thanks Handy

Post Thanks / Like

i have a vac pump, and I have a compressor - Shouldn't be to difficult. Thanks Handy
    No leeks

Post Thanks / Like

And in a stupidly timed event, I've decided to chop the bottom half of my primary silencer off to try to get me the ground clearance I would like. I'm fed up with hitting speed bumpsThis is going to give me about 25mm height.

So I've got the middle bit folded in, but it's now too late to cut through the end flanges. Another day perhaps.

Also I've ordered some Yellow stuff pads to see how I get on with those.

BTW moderator - can you move this to projects section please, as it's never going to end.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW moderator - can you move this to projects section please, as it's never going to end.

Done

Post Thanks / Like

Also I've ordered some Yellow stuff pads to see how I get on with those

Note to self: Make sure Andy isn't following me at any point next weekend...