Post Thanks / Like

brand new turbo on a rebuilt engine?

Im sure ive read on the forum that you should not run a brand new turbo on a new rebuilt engine?

Is this correct?

Would you be ok to run a new turbo if you had a filtered oil line to the turbo?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: brand new turbo on a rebuilt engine?

was gonna say, most people fit an inline filter into the turbo oil feed line....dont want any swarf killing your nice new turbo after afew hundred miles !!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

filter it for sure. I can't recommend those bailey in-line (ford) type filters enough. Check the filter after even 100 miles, you'll be amazed at the crap it collects.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say just to be sure, make sure you fit new oil, air and fuel filters. Better safe than sorry! Not forgetting fresh engine oil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    filter it for sure. I can't recommend those bailey in-line (ford) type filters enough. Check the filter after even 100 miles, you'll be amazed at the crap it collects.
    i fitted one and i have collected some fairly heavy swarf. engine sounded and run great. should i pull it apart and see whats lost the swarf or could this have been floating around the oil for years?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this any good? if not can anyone recomend a decent one?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-GT-T...3A1%7C294%3A50

So has long as i do this it will be ok Just dont want to spend all the money on a brand new turbo and ruin it within a few 100 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c5 swh View Post
    Is this any good? if not can anyone recomend a decent one?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-GT-T...3A1%7C294%3A50

So has long as i do this it will be ok Just dont want to spend all the money on a brand new turbo and ruin it within a few 100 miles

Hi Shane,

A friend of mine got one of these but found the fit a little hit and miss, after initially fitting it felt a little flimsy due to it being made from alloy and you have to be carefull to not overtighten. It did weep a little so he took it off and had a mate machine it down and fitted it with a copper washer and so far so good. It is truewhat everyone says, the gunk collected in the filter is suprising to say the least. I'll be fitting afilter of some type once I'm up and running again.

Scoff - is the Ford one a different type to the one as detailed in the e-bay ad?

AS

Post Thanks / Like

Also - Change the filter regular or it'll eat it'self for other reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help. As anyone got any links to a filter thats worth getting do you just add it in line with the hoses or does it come with the hoses?

Post Thanks / Like

i have the mocal one from think auto, its full of swarf and nothing got through it so imo its well worth buying.

Post Thanks / Like

if an engine build has been dun propperly there should be no swarf .. end of.. i thank you .......

Post Thanks / Like

the pre filter that hose solutions sell saves alot of faffing around trying to get a hose made up, im sure all pre turbo filters need a custom hose made up.!?

Post Thanks / Like

i've seen stacks of hybrids and standard turbo's come in with swarf nested in the cores because people have rebuilt engines. I've been recommending them to customers for a long time now. Most, unfortunatley don't listen, especially when they run expensive rollerbearings...

I went and bought one myself, but at £55 for the setup I bought, it's not cheap. It will however save you well over £200 in rebuild costs.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE MASTER View Post
    if an engine build has been dun propperly there should be no swarf .. end of.. i thank you .......
    well yes, but define properly. I build my engines in my garage, clean and as dust free as the next tidy garage, but still, I collect small amounts of crap on a new build! even if it's a little bit of silicone that's come from the sump - not always metal particles

The hose-solutions one doesn't list how tight the filter is, so I couldn't comment on how good it is. The Bailey one is 25 micron and looks exactly right for the job. It comes with 1/8 npt female and male fittings so requires that you have a line made up with a 1/8npt break in it. Demon tweeks used to sell them for 30quid, I've had mine for years, never had a smokey turbo since I started using it. Sure, killed LOTS of thrust bearings, but never a smokey turbo - because there's been no swarf to score stuff. Bearing ware through use is easilly repaired, oil contamination needs the pro's to work their magic.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Hose Solutions line and filter and it's been fine. I recently cleaned the filter out having done a rebuild and a few oil flushes and there was a surprising amount of swarf in it (looked a like black flakes of paint?) My rebuild we done very carefully aswell!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I have the Hose Solutions line and filter and it's been fine. I recently cleaned the filter out having done a rebuild and a few oil flushes and there was a surprising amount of swarf in it (looked a like black flakes of paint?) My rebuild we done very carefully aswell!
    my hose solutions one has been fine too, although ive not found any swarf in it. im proper anal when it comes to cleanliness when rebuilding an engine

Post Thanks / Like

you can actually turn the standard OE one way valve into a pre filter.
    which is nice...