Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gearbox choices for Renault 5 GTT

Greetings

Some little help is needed.
    I struggle to find now rebuilt/recon gearbox for my 5 GTT. I contacted one Gearbox UK repairing company
    as they have advertisement at Ebay that they can rebuild and sell recon gearboxes. I contacted there and made order and they said everything is ok and they will sort this for you.
    Well now i got suddenly ignored after waiting some time and no messages for details for when it will be ready and getting delivery like they promised.
    Would be nice to know some reliable and good gearbox company in UK or merchant who can also sell abroad.

So Renault 5 GTT is JB3 with electronic speedo cable, so is there any other direct fit like some JC5 or Volvo Turbo M54 with electric speedo?
    Or is there some easy converting kit/plug mechanical cable example clio gearbox to electrical r5 speedo?

BR
    Juha

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gearbox choices for Renault 5 GTT

A Clio phase 1 172 gearbox will fit the C1J engine, also has electronic speedo.
    Likes G21TNA liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Is there any performance issues like example accelerating, i guess Clio's Gearbox have little different ratios?

Juha

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Can i use r5 gtt electronic speed cable which is attached gearbox or do i need to get clio electronic cable?

Or do i need some adapter between those two if different signal?

regards
    Juha

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Early Clio 172's phase 1 gearbox has slightly taller gear ratio's as they made them shorter when phase 2 came out. I believe the ratio's on the 172 phase 1 gearbox will be taller than the R5GTT gearbox. Also, I think you'll need to use the Clio 172 speedo cable/sensor as the speedo cable/sensor on the R5GTT gearbox is different.

I know a mate of mine fitted a 172 phase 1 gearbox in his 5 no problem however he was not running original speedo.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When we looked into this 15 years or so ago, I seem to recall that we found the longest ratios of any of the JB3 or JB5 boxes was the R5GTT. Unless a longer one was missed.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    When we looked into this 15 years or so ago, I seem to recall that we found the longest ratios of any of the JB3 or JB5 boxes was the R5GTT. Unless a longer one was missed.
    Mk2 Clio dci use much longer gearing, a gtt does 70mph at 3250rpm in 5th, the clio box does 70mph at 2750rpm in 5th, it's a jc5 box so direct fit but the speedo drive isn't there hence why I started making speedo ring gears to go on the end of a drive shaft instead
    Likes Ian S, Matt Cole liked this post

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like