Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any advice please guys

Hi there, just a bit of advice or help if anyone is clued up with electrics! I've just changed the starter motor on the car, it wouldn't turn over so I thought the solanoid needed nipping up abit more and like a moron I hit the live with the spanner! Rushing I forgot to take the terminal if the battry, there was a few sparks and now I have no electrics whatsoever, so does anyone know what I might of done? Or blown, I've checked the fuses and canot see any damaged ones so just wounder what it could be not very clued up so just thought if try here cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any advice please guys

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebagmagic View Post
    Hi there, just a bit of advice or help if anyone is clued up with electrics! I've just changed the starter motor on the car, it wouldn't turn over so I thought the solanoid needed nipping up abit more and like a moron I hit the live with the spanner! Rushing I forgot to take the terminal if the battry, there was a few sparks and now I have no electrics whatsoever, so does anyone know what I might of done? Or blown, I've checked the fuses and canot see any damaged ones so just wounder what it could be not very clued up so just thought if try here cheers
    Potentially you could have fcukered quite a lot fella. Feel lucky you've not set anything alight. Sparks and fuel.... Kaaabbooooom.

Probably fried the earth strap and ****ed the battery mate at least. Maybe your Aei too. Check all of your harness in the engine bay, you're starter loom will probably be knackered :/

Check the earth strap though as they get hammered, also your battery wiring.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply mate!

Shit didn't think it would be that bad, no quick fix then, shit I litruly have no way to lock the car, ill get a new battry 1st see what happens, I'm no were near clued up for this to be fair, but appritiate ur help, is there a main fuse it would blow? Located somewhere others then the fuse box?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebagmagic View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate!

Shit didn't think it would be that bad, no quick fix then, shit I litruly have no way to lock the car, ill get a new battry 1st see what happens, I'm no were near clued up for this to be fair, but appritiate ur help, is there a main fuse it would blow? Located somewhere others then the fuse box?
    Not that I'm aware of fella. Id guess that your earth strap would have taken the most flack. Try connecting a jump lead from the negative battery to the engine (somewhere that's a good earth) you might be lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Check the earth strap though as they get hammered, also your battery wiring.

Generally the ring terminal overheats and cracks, give all cables a wiggle

Post Thanks / Like

What ever you do ! Dont just put a battrey on if two wires have melted together it could short all over again blowing the battrey in your face it can be dangerous you need to find what melted mate get car on stands and look at starter wireing carefully If your struggling I will pm you my number and will try talk you through it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    What ever you do ! Dont just put a battrey on if two wires have melted together it could short all over again blowing the battrey in your face it can be dangerous you need to find what melted mate get car on stands and look at starter wireing carefully If your struggling I will pm you my number and will try talk you through it
    ^^^

Totally agree here - don't bang anything on yet until you have checked the wiring associated with the starting circuit and also the charging circuit. If you've melted a couple of wires together somewhere, this will toast another good battery and possibly start a fire as described in post #2.

sorry buddy - get wiggling.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys thanks for help, Chris that would be great if I could call you to explain properly what happend then if u can guide me I would be very great full, I'm in right shit street need the car to run as moving by the end if month and my mrs has the other car so need for work aswell, I have most if tomorrow to guess my way through to a degree, if all outs fail might have to break it

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not drastic enough to break up mate....

Keep the faith and sort it out tomorrow

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The tip of the spanner touched the part on the starter motor were the tiny braided line is, and next to that u have the bolt for the terminal which was the bolt I was trying to nip, it has a little O ring that u bolt down! Just to give a clearer picture of what happend

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol I know but to be fair mate since I had the car I had nout but problems and people rip me off, first the car wouldn't go above 50 mph and jolted backfired and would not go no more, so I got diff engine had a garge **** it up putting it in and I been trying ever since to get I right, spent loads n loads on the car and still haven't been able to drive the car after six months tax also runs out end of month, not many options left or money in the pot to take it somewhere and after the garage incident I dnt really trust them, now I gone and ****ed this up and time against me, wouldn't mind but this is my daily car too which has turned into a project, and now mrs is back at work I liturly have tomorrow, if anyone happens to be driving into Bedworth near coventry tomorrow who loves r5 problems n wants to help Id gladly appritiate it lol

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the fuse near the alternator. If you literally just touched the terminal briefly I doubt you've done too much damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Check the fuse near the alternator. If you literally just touched the terminal briefly I doubt you've done too much damage.
    Likewise, I thought the spanner was on there for a good while, if it was less than arty half a second I wouldn't be that worried.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really appritiate the help and concern, 15 quid well spend joining this some decent guys out there! Right I've took everything of now, just waiting for a mate with new battry and starter motor, it was liturly for a second it touched it but now in removing everything like a ****ing pleb I never even put what I believe is the alternator terminat on the bolt along with the battry terminal with the loops on the end, so would this only of fryed the battry and maybe earth cable as it was the only the battry terminal conected to the starter!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Changed the starter checked cables new battry and boom we have electric, all cables on now :-) turns over, just need it to fire up think timing is out!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all help and Info guys

Post Thanks / Like

Have you got the HT leads routed correctly?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep there all on ok, got spark aswell can smell the petrol getting in have played with air feul screw, had backfire which not a hundred percent sure is from the carb, but then I turn screw and it sounds like its out the exhorst, Had a tiny bit of white smoke that looked like was from the carb could of been the oil breather but on my own and a class under novice don't even think rookie comes into it, I dnt really know, gunna try and look at the ignition timing tomorrow touch wood

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car did turn over befor I took the head of and had it skimmed, I haven't toched the dizzie or bottom pulley! Put all back together and won't fire

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I mean are the HT leads running from the correct ports on the distributor to the correct spark plugs? Having the leads on the wrong plugs can cause this kind of thing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Sorry, I mean are the HT leads running from the correct ports on the distributor to the correct spark plugs? Having the leads on the wrong plugs can cause this kind of thing.
    Agree with this check leads and also check that plugs are not wet. Remember number 1 is flywheel end and the distributor port closest to the front of the car.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes there all on the right way, I've just heard the trimming might be out due to head skim, does anyone know what a standard head actually measures? Carnt find it in the book only permitted warp and permitted skim

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ow I did change the top of the dizzie as refitting the old one cracked when screwing it down

Post Thanks / Like

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be dizzy was 180 degrees out, - done that before lol and then there's starter motors.. ahem Think you're sorted now mate and will unhook the battery in future at any given opportunity

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yep I defo will be, suppose it take a mistake to rectify one lol and another one I did was following a shit picture of one on google swapped leads over in right order and got car fired up oil change and pressurised the system ran to temp cools down nicely,just needs a good tune up feels flat to be fair, thanks for help and info,

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one.

Did it turn out to be the leads were mixed up, the dizzy was on the wrong way round, or both?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It was the leads in the end lol I had a picture off google and then notice this r5 dnt have a turbo so I check ones on with a turbo and changed them and it fired up second or third turn! Not sure if the firing order on a campus is diffrent but the guy who's engine I looked at will have a shock when it dnt turn lol I burnt out a starter because of the wrong order lol sounds really nice aswell, I'm going to try and upload a vid on the club utube channel for people to see,