Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat rate membership fee

How about £25 for new members and £15 for existing but improve the welcome packs?

As penfold said clio sport do a nice keyring etc but I joined and never renewed because its not great, whereas here the membership is worth the money!!

It's maybe just getting more people through the door and hoping a high percentage don't leave after one year! Lets face it we all can be swayed with a free gift etc! I know I've been swayed with magazine subscriptions just on the better gift!

I'm sure revised membership pack appealing to new and old renault turbos could be done and at £25 you have £10 to play with?

As for events living on the Isle of Man means £180+ before I even get to the mainland so unfortunately can't attend events! Maybe one day!!

Steve

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    My point was.... There is a potential of 5000 people seeing a club that caters for turbo charged renaults, it may help with potential members to aid the club.
    Ian, thanks for that, if the club wants to implode and moan about it then so be it....
    That chap at the Enfield show deserves a medal.
    I agree. But the event's co-ordinator doesn't have time or interest and has repeatedly strongly said that events like this have no worth, and no-one else cares enough to get up and do something about it. I don't have a Renault or I'd have taken it to the Enfield show.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is the events cordinator if the aint got time or intrest then isnt that considerd abit of a problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    That was also in relation to FB, and with your seemingly negative stance ( just how it reads) we won't get anywhere
    I'd be less negative if there were people wanting to join the committee and actually properly do stuff, have initiative, use it.

These threads are usually the same, a few people kick around some suggestions, often good ones, then go away. The few of people working for the club every day can't do any more than they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Join me up

Post Thanks / Like

I pmd i think it was big steve asking why we cant go to more events as a club and if it was a lack of money or if it was a lack of man power because i was willing to help

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not turn this into a witch hunt about who did or didn't do what... Lets move on from here

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    I agree. But the event's co-ordinator doesn't have time or interest and has repeatedly strongly said that events like this have no worth, and no-one else cares enough to get up and do something about it. I don't have a Renault or I'd have taken it to the Enfield show.
    Hmmmmm I wonder why we have low numbers.....
    The Enfield show was great even if we only had 6 cars on stand everyone had a great day.
    We had loads of interest and met some great people,the sun was shining what more do you want. I will be arranging it again this year and obviously would want the clubs support and not neg feedback,but it will go ahead regardless. I think with dwindling members it's time to be a CLUB.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not turn this into a witch hunt about who did or didn't do what... Lets move on from here
    It aint like that at all i am trying to say i am willing to help him if he wants a hand thats it mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post
    Hmmmmm I wonder why we have low numbers.....
    The Enfield show was great even if we only had 6 cars on stand everyone had a great day.
    We had loads of interest and met some great people,the sun was shining what more do you want. I will be arranging it again this year and obviously would want the clubs support and not neg feedback,but it will go ahead regardless. I think with dwindling members it's time to be a CLUB.
    Brap CLUB for the win, back in Bruce's day it was strong as ever! The old guard FTW. No offence to current people running the club... But things can be learnt maybe,

Post Thanks / Like

Brap CLUB for the win, back in Bruce's day it was strong as ever! The old guard FTW. No offence to current people running the club... But things can be learnt maybe,
    Not intended to give anybody the needle by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Just say that one day a hacker finds a way into vB 3.7, it's not supported any more and then it stops working as everyone was expected to be on or near their latest version.

18 months ago we had to get quite a bit of the 'under pinning' re-done so it would work with this LAMP server we're on, as the site was more or less non working on the previous server and fairly slow and faulty on the one before that.

Alas, someone, not me, deleted the original and only copy before the work was complete and deleted members profile photos and left some problems that have not been repairable.

People want mobile facilities that this version doesn't have. They want features this version can't have.
    On the mobile front I can now load onto my profile from my iPhone but I can't seem to load in a post.. Or am I just not doing it write? People say copy and paste but it won't transfer

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy to say.

Branch out to where?

Who's going to do this branching out? It's not going to be me. So anyone who will please let us know
    Surely we're just talking a simple case of contacting administrators on various other renault turbo orientated forums no?

Letting them know about what RTOC offers (ND being the jewell in the crown!) and asking them to promote us and get involved. Maybe I'm being naive or not seeing the bigger picture though.

The idea of raffling t shirts and memberships is a good one too.

I'd happily contact all relevant forums on behalf of RTOC but being a noob and not really known by anyone here I don't think it would be right or appreciated.

The offer is most deffinately there though.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

What positions are available on the committee? What is the club looking for? What will it need from people?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    What positions are available on the committee? What is the club looking for? What will it need from people?
    Good question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    Surely we're just talking a simple case of contacting administrators on various other renault turbo orientated forums no?

Letting them know about what RTOC offers (ND being the jewell in the crown!) and asking them to promote us and get involved. Maybe I'm being naive or not seeing the bigger picture though.

The idea of raffling t shirts and memberships is a good one too.

I'd happily contact all relevant forums on behalf of RTOC but being a noob and not really known by anyone here I don't think it would be right or appreciated.

The offer is most deffinately there though.

Ross
    top lad Ross. Good to see some forward thinking. The way I see it is we need the help from these other clubs lets offer them something in return of their support! I would hope That we may also strike up a reasonable relationship in which we could attend some of their events and vice versa.

I'm talking Renault turbos by the way and not Clio sport unless we really have to.

Post Thanks / Like

But things can be learnt
    Jon there were several, or many, times as many 5GTT's back then and about 1200 members. The club took about £15,000 per year. There were elections for club positions. The fastest ¼ miles were the 13's and that gave people something to aim at. There were loads of car mags, shows, tuners, and petrol was comparatively cheap. It was a different world.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon there were several, or many, times as many 5GTT's back then and about 1200 members. The club took about £15,000 per year. There were elections for club positions. The fastest ¼ miles were the 13's and that gave people something to aim at. There were loads of car mags, shows, tuners, and petrol was comparatively cheap. It was a different world.
    Lol somthing to aim at iv just done 15s we are still aiming for 13s.. 13s would be cool about now I think I'm starting to see what's up.. Is it that its all been done before? Think we need to get to other shows and reintroduce the Renault turbos to the scene.. Or should I just say I need to start going to different shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for offers to help out

Every year people have been in touch with many or all of these other clubs, even if just to try and get them to the RTOC ND.

We've already mentioned the smaller clubs a few posts up.

I think the Megane sport club caters for non turbo'd cars too, so they have a further advantage in numbers.

What others are there and what does RTOC have to offer them and they us, apart from people at events?

The RTOC ND of 2011 and 2010 were bolstered by some BMW M3's and some MX5's amongst others. But I wasn't there and it should really be the people who were that are taking part in this thread here at this point. I'm just chatting about it like other people here.

We were hoping Blunty was going to do this role of interfacing with other clubs and promoting the RTOC in the press.

• Right now we need someone to create an advert for us to go in PFC tomorrow. Failing that, next month. Miller was great at this kind of thing, coral draw, etc, so can any of you do this? He just came up with the finished ads, flyers, leaflets, etc, on his own, and they were good so we used them. I've been placing the ads in the mags for the past few years as we've never had a press officer who actually did it. I was trying to feed the mags with cars for features too, but didn't get much co-operation from members. I got a few in there, mainly 'Readers yard' in PPC. Different to how it seems, I'm badly dyslexic and very very slow at text, so I'm not the person for that type of thing.

• We could really do with someone to organise the area reps since Lomo left and Dawn left.

• Also someone to organise small meetings that Steve can't do. Find them, create entries in the RTOC events calender, promote them, get members to want to go to them. Organise the banners, signs, tents, to be at each as appropriate. Be there at the venues and organise the clubs stand, maybe give out leaflets and promote the club, sign people up maybe.

Or is that all from a decade ago and no longer happening?

I know of a few classic cars shows that RTOC cars could have been at, I went to the one in Harpenden in a Morgan Aero 8 and returned in an original nearly new condition mini cooper apparently worth £15k, it was just like I was in the 1970's again, a weird experience, but kind of nice.

• We could do with someone to edit the club Contacts section. Dawn was originally here to do that but I don't think she ever went through the whole lot and 'weeded' them. She got some new ones but not for some time.

• We could do with someone going through the articles section and doing some major fixing of links and stuff.

• We could do with someone writing a new articles section really. That probably means in PHP code.

Post Thanks / Like

And? Stop giving up and start believing.

Lomo and dawn gone, and now roles are up for grabs??

If the club needs help it should post up "help needed"

Or do we just plod along until its beyond repair.

Ask Ian ask! Rather than sound bitter

Again not a dig, maybe we need to fill spots and get in house help before branching out again

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'd be more than willing to sort the smaller events side out for the club so long as I had the blessing of the right people.

There's a lot of new blood in the club now and maybe it's time they were let in on helping out and joining the comitee. (I'm not referring to myself here btw)

It's honestly the best club I've belonged to and last national day really sold it to me. A lot has changed since I was last a member 11 or 12 years ago but let's get it stepping in the right direction if that can be found.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

1 offer of help.. Spot on, I'm sure plenty will help if aware it's needed.. And no need for name tags by the user name. We are all just members.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be willing to contact other clubs and so on if thats whats needed to be done

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be viable to give every member 5-10!flyers? And on seeing a Renault turbo leave it under the wiper or something ? Just a silly idea, no idea of price etc

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be viable to give every member 5-10!flyers?
    And on seeing a Renault turbo leave it under the wiper or something ? send them out with member packs. Possibly member packs/flyers to event organisers?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=soapymech;310400]
    Would it be viable to give every member 5-10!flyers? And on seeing a Renault turbo leave it under the wiper or something ? send them out with member packs. Possibly member packs/flyers to event organisers?
    Yea that works thats how i joined the starlett owners club i found a leaflet under my wiper

Post Thanks / Like

Who can make a leaflet and all that's then left is...

A decent printing firm

Funds, I'd imagine it won't brake the bank, not if say 10 new people join??

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and who distributes them, I'll help how ever people see fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Theres bound to be someone that works in printing on here can get us a deal

Post Thanks / Like

Has the club thought about maybe having some carefully picked advertising on the site?
    If we had a few relevant companies who paid the rtoc to have a banner or advert appear at certain times on the site this could bring some much needed revenue back into the club.
    Passion Ford for example uses large amounts of advertising and utilises a good idea imo that once a paid member logs in a large proportion of the adverts are not shown to that person.
    If we also said that any company that paid to advertise through rtoc did the same for us to there customers it may spread the word a bit more.
    Im not suggesting covering the site in crap banners akin to a tv shopping channel but its just an idea to bring some much needed funds into the club

Post Thanks / Like

There are some great and really achievable ideas here.

But I've seen too many threads where people offer help and nothing happens, either because they were not that keen after all, or the committee were too busy to organise what it was they wanted from those that offered.

Some of the suggestions do not cost more than time and effort, at least in the first instance (designing flyers, contacting other clubs, investigating attendance at smaller/specialist events etc etc).

So why don't people stop waiting for a royal blessing from the committee and just go ahead and start something! Start your own thread to tell the club what you're doing, ask for input if you want but just do something and then tell someone you've done it!

If you want on the committee, or if you want to assist someone who already is, just get PM'ing the most appropriate person: https://www.rtoc.org/club/?show=committee

I'd also like to say Ian, that I had no idea you were dyslexic. You are one of the most articulate and well written people in this club. I'd have never guessed. Hats off to you sir.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=chris;310401]
    Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post

Yea that works thats how i joined the starlett owners club i found a leaflet under my wiper
    Or even just design the flyer and upload it on the forum so we can print them off at home?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    So why don't people stop waiting for a royal blessing from the committee and just go ahead and start something! Start your own thread to tell the club what you're doing, ask for input if you want but just do something and then tell someone you've done it!

If you want on the committee, or if you want to assist someone who already is, just get PM'ing the most appropriate person: https://www.rtoc.org/club/?show=committee
    Yes Trev's right, this isn't communism guys ; we'd welcome if members started threads & took ownership of arranging things they want the club to do? That's how the various Ring, and now Sangliers trips started, those of us who wanted to go arranged the trips & hotels etc.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Fishey;310421]
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post

Or even just design the flyer and upload it on the forum so we can print them off at home?
    Something like this...

Post Thanks / Like

Great. There is only one problem with that, it needs the link at the bottom changing and the last sentence removing (for flyer purposes).

Please, can someone (anyone with the requisite skill), change www.gtturbo.org/join to https://www.rtoc.org/club/?show=join , delete the last sentence, repost the updated image on here (or a new thread), and then get the membership secretary to send it out as an attachment to every RTOC member via email such that those who have access to a printer can then print them off at will and leave them under any car wiper that they see fit.

For those members reading and taking part in this thread, once the flyer has been updated, you can simply right click on the image, go 'copy image', open Microsoft Paint (or whatever art package you have on your PC, everyone with a PC at least has MS Paint), then 'ctrl-v'. Save the file. You then have something to print out.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 23-01-2013 at 11:18.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Yes Trev's right, this isn't communism guys ; we'd welcome if members started threads & took ownership of arranging things they want the club to do? That's how the various Ring, and now Sangliers trips started, those of us who wanted to go arranged the trips & hotels etc.
    And so I have started

Please see here:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31609

And jump on board if it tickles your fancy!

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell I've had an idea taken seriously lol, we'll just pm me with anything I can go do we need a printing firm? The idea of printing at home is good

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flyers

Regarding these flyers, it's not a new idea, it's one of a list of frustrations that have been stalled for along time.

Miller did a great job to create those flyers. I've asked him a few time to modify them in the way mentioned but he never did. He's been just about to do it for years. so we wait, nothing happens, then he appears or I speak to him and he's just about to do it......

I think he did them in Coral Draw. I and the other committee have been unable to edit these.

That's one thing that needs doing, then they can be given out as suggested.

People could do print them off now and just cross off the wrong address and enter the correct one. Or just cross it off and let them visit rtoc.org and find their way from there.

Here's side two, only really for people paying by cash or cheque. That might be at events: https://www.rtoc.org/files/Club%20fil...r%20Side_2.jpg this also has a non working phone number and may soon have the wrong fees.

https://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Club%20files/Forms/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    And so I have started

Please see here:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31609

And jump on board if it tickles your fancy!

Ross
    Good stuff Ross

I seem to recall that the RTOC Pod Friday was sometimes booked to precede the Retro show so members could stay over for that.

Clubs stands at the Pod were the norm under Rachel Heads leadership of this club but pretty much fell away when she left.

There's some weirdness going on though as all the other events are 2012. I've not been to the events calendar in a long while. Clearly there should be a 2013 one or the 2012 should all be archived. I no longer recall the procedure for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear your frustration Ian. Best to look for different options then now and not let any more time waste.

There are some excellent Photoshop skills in this group. Even if that file is flattened and the layers can't be picked apart, most of that work can be salvaged, put into Photoshop, altered and re-saved, both as a layered file and as a jpg which is small enough to email...

Anyone volunteering?

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear your frustration Ian. Best to look for different options then now and not let any more time waste.

There are some excellent Photoshop skills in this group. Even if that file is flattened and the layers can't be picked apart, most of that work can be salvaged, put into Photoshop, altered and re-saved, both as a layered file and as a jpg which is small enough to email...

Anyone volunteering?
    Should ask Millie (Big Steve's Missus) if she can work her photoshop magic...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    Has the club thought about maybe having some carefully picked advertising on the site?
    Yes, it's been discussed many times.
    If we had a few relevant companies who paid the rtoc to have a banner or advert appear at certain times on the site this could bring some much needed revenue back into the club.
    This was talked about in a thread very recently. We're probably not big enough for people to earn back the cost of their ads, even though 21T OC do have a few paying ads. I set up deal over the years with companies who gave is discount and a commission per sale, rather than pay us. We never got any commission as the sales didn't happen. We felt it was better to have 200 companies offering us discount rather than perhaps three paying us a small fee until their sales per click data showed it wasn't worth doing.
    Passion Ford for example uses large amounts of advertising and utilises a good idea imo that once a paid member logs in a large proportion of the adverts are not shown to that person.
    If we also said that any company that paid to advertise through rtoc did the same for us to there customers it may spread the word a bit more.
    Im not suggesting covering the site in crap banners akin to a tv shopping channel but its just an idea to bring some much needed funds into the club
    Wasn't it the case the Passion Ford was sold to a USA company just so they could use the site to advertise their clients? Ford is a LOT bigger than RTOC.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flyers

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    So all this time a leading committee members wife could do this? You can perhaps sense my and other's frustration.

I've just asked PFC if they can alter the ad they used last year so as to use it for this July's RTOC ND.

I and other's have been asking for years with no input at all.

Really, I'd prefer it if we could establish the use of a professional design and print service rather than rely on anyone from the club or committee or someone's Mrs or pal's pal. That's why were in this mess. Together with the fact that no-one in the committee has had the time or interest to sort this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Have you PM'd Big Steve, Penfold? What's all this 'should' business?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flyers and other printed material and digital ad's and photos.

We can't be reliant on Steve's Mrs.

When we need edits and new material we need to be able to make a call, during office hours, and get a prompt professional resolution with no insults and emotionally overwrought histrionics. And if their service is sh1t, tell then to FO and we go elsewhere.

Miller already had all this in hand and done. Used a printer near him. But years have gone by and someone needs to establish another.

• The club / committee apparently needs some to do this for us, ie, get stuff designed and printed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events

This was the idea of the events calendar 6 years, or whatever, ago, but I guess those people left and new people didn't realise and no-one told them or led them or properly introduced them to the club and it's features.
    I'd also like to say Ian, that I had no idea you were dyslexic. You are one of the most articulate and well written people in this club. I'd have never guessed. Hats off to you sir.
    That Trev. I make a of of effort and take a lot of time over text work to try and get it right. If it weren't for the spell checker my posts would be near unreadable!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This IS communism

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    communism
    is where people work together as a team, sharing the work and benefits. This IS communism! As in community.

You mean this isn't Autocracy or Plutocracy (a dictatorship).

Communism, as in USSR, is an Autocracy or / and Plutocracy.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read through your posts ian. It comes across that the clubs failing because of a failing commitee.. great

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's how it is Jon. We've been saying this for long time. How could you not have noticed!

A lot of committee have left over the last years and some not been replaced. The few people who are working for the club every day have been under some strain for some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, it would be great to have stable, secure, reliable structure in place for everything that the club does (and it should be that way for as much of the fundamental admin as possible), but we know that folk wax and wane, especially in RTOC. I think at times it's about motivating whoever is enthusiastic at the time to get things achieved.

In Penfold suggesting Steve's Mrs he wasn't then suggesting that we then rely on her for all the image-based content of the club. Just as we shouldn't have been reliant on Miller for the updating of this one flyer image.

Maybe in the future, for things outside of website maintenance and the club finances, there should be more open requesting of specific help from the membership base?