Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: renault trafic t1000 (pic heavy)

this is fantastic!

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

well after looking into the loss of power last night there were a few leaks in the boost system, aswell as the bleed valve and t peice to try to raise the boost so i sorted that out to work as it should and adjusted some pipes, which held the pressure better but then resulted in making only 2psi on the road although did feel better off boost. i've adjusted the clutch a bit which has improved slow starts slightly too.
    so this evening i've swapped the actuator for a t34 version, set with no preload to start with.

and the bleed T's back into the inlet pipe

i never bothered adapting the throttle switch to the 2ltr throttle as i wasn't keeping it so fitted a std one back in situ and as i didn't want to use the samco's in the first place adjusted the boost run to suit. more oe looking now.

what a difference! throttle response doesn't seem as sudden, or aggressive so doesnt rev up as quick but is so much smoother now the tps is plugged in. its also drastically improved clutch judder when pulling off. although it feels like its lost acceleration boost is back up to 7psi.

i have been looking for a while for a heater matrix part which i've yet to source so i've glued the old bits back together in the hope to get some heaters working again now its started getting chilly, so will give that a try tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Winner! How long before we see a pulsar turbo and 20lb boost? I know the thought has crossed your mind

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

I had, but I sold all the bits to Markey mark to stop me. I want to try and keep the low down grunt to help get the van moving but I don't think the gearbox would like the high revs too much. The main thing was to improve the economy over the carb'd 1700 but some extra poke for when needed, the plan is still 1bar on std injectors. Should make 160+bhp.

Post Thanks / Like

The sensible option still 160hp in a van should make it plenty fun enough for a work horse.

However i know what your like, I had presumed the thought had crossed your mind at some point, reasons you gave above seem plausable in the fact that you don't want to get to serious with it.

Save the funds and time and make the 11 the insane one

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i had decided that the engine had to come out at some point to do various jobs but after a couple of extra noises and loss of the clutch pedal its had to come out earlier than planned

its managed to rip apart one of the engine mounts

and i've broken the release bearing

along with wearing out the input shaft and bellhousing nose

the clutch seems fine, alot better than i was expecting with the way it operated

but the input shaft has also worn its way into the crank

after speaking to a local old skool gearbox place i have a few problems. the cause is that the volvo lump doesnt have a spigot bearing, something i hadn't considered as didnt notice it on the the old engine and assumed it would just line up as it appears no longer than a gtt input shaft, infact i think its shorter now as wasn't binding to start with. the other is a common box problem, the input shaft can work its way out from the main drive cluster, renault tried various options with the last design using a reworked input shaft and locking cluster. basically its worked its way out and spun off centre.
    i doubt i'll even find this type as there's so little i've found on the net so far but the guy is confident that he can machine the bellhousing and replace the nose like new and has a kit he used to supply to keep the shaft in place and supply the spigot bearing. i've got to pop in with the box to discuss repairs and other options like strengthening and ratios. i'll have to get the crank machined too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch thats a bit of a pain mate, looks bit nasty on the end of the crank

If you need spare crank to have machined up i have one lying here doing nothing, might be worth drive down if you after few more bits (flywheels, etc)

Having a read above with the tuning issues you've had i might look into all that again with my mates 5, still got slight issue with the idle. Akways comes in handy reading these threads

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

yup, kicking myself for overlooking it ! at least its happened now rather than after i've changed the clutch and it makes me do a few more bits that i wanted to do anyway.
    i guess i should pop over when you can spare a few hours to go through the bits, starting to get a little pile here for you too. actually its good to go back to basics and have a re cap on fine tuning, mating older/newer bits, looms etc for a change. should actually get an up to date b18ft conversion guide with fault finding/diagnostics/mods etc in the files section.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a similar problem using a gtt crank in a mk1 5 - the old non gordini box 5speed needs an spigot bearing, but the gtt gearbox doesnt. - i had had gearbox oil spraying all over the plate, due to the input shaft wobbling around. - i had to get a tube made up to act as a bearing!

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

I've yet to look at the original engine to see what is used, ideally I'd like to get something that sits in the flywheel to save machining the crank as the input shaft shouldn't touch if it stays in the box!

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted ! that has made a mess! On the flip side it explains why the clutch was harsher than expected! Are you going to be able to find another box or will go with the repair?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the harshness was to do with the the larger 2ltr throttle and no tps as it drastically improved when put back to std. i could almost pull away normally.
    think it makes sense to stick with this box assuming its all ok inside. if i can find another it will more than likely need modifying too.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry HAZ ive only just seen this thread . unfurtunatly you found the weak point in the box ...dam input shaft. if i had seen this thread earlier i would have said to you about it ...it is a know prob and ren tryed differnt things to solve .. the last was a clip on shaft using a locking ring rather than just a circlip. im sure you will find away to hold the shaft back and stop it riding foward

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i did notice that the shaft pulled out when i took the old engine out but just assumed that it would only come out so far once bolted together. the gearbox place tells me they have their own solution from doing trafic ambulances back in the day
    here's the main problem that i missed as was too interested in what was wrong with the old clutch

which simply pops out and with a little more effort goes into the volvo flywheel, but wants replacing too.

now as the bearing doesnt go all the way into the flywheel i cant see how the shaft would move forward unless it pushes the bearing further in? maybe a spacer behind it would be another solution. off to the gearbox place to see what they can do tomorrow.

also been looking at the gearlever before it came out, looks like there can be some adjustment on the pivot point too as i dont imagine there's a quick shift for it

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been over to the gearbox place today to see what needs replacing, forgot to get pics tho!
    to start with both drains were in solid and split through being over tightened and i had to chisel them out,
    the breather pipes are starting to perish,
    the release bearing which was destroyed,
    the spigot bearing as had seen better days,
    the nose is going to be machined out with a new sleeve put in,
    the input shaft will be replaced and like a brass top hat fitted to keep it in place,
    and i've smashed the 3rd/4th fork off so one of those with springs,
    with a set of gaskets and seals.
    on the plus side, although he's not found the peice off the fork yet as it was a quick look over to order parts, its not done any further damage but there is alot of swarf so it may have come off a while ago. the design of the fork stops it dropping out of place so it still engages gears, it just pulls lobsided so will replace any syncro's if needed.
    the casing also a nice thick greasey film like the oil's hardly been changed through its life, and has got hot, so about time it had a refurn anyway.
    cant do much with the gearing but he seems to think its an earlier version so should have taller gears but shorter diff compared to the later models so could still be an option if i can find the correct gearbox. if anyone hears of possibility at a local breakers etc please let me know (has to be f block not j block version) thanks.
    should have it back sometime next week as some parts had to be ordered but got a few other bits to keep me going.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

You could easy extend that top bracket up to move the pivot! Might be easier to make a new gear lever in round bar than chopping up and bending the existing.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Recon I could chop a 2" piece from inside the cab and fit just below the pivot, with a matching 2" angle iron in the centre of the bracket. May want more but recon that's the limit without adjusting the floor or like you say, making a new lever.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

made a bit more progress this week. while waiting on the gearbox ive replaced the thermostat as the centre had been removed for the rear rad setup

and replaced the waterpump as the old one was leaking through the bearing

bit of a service on the front calipers, freeing off the pistons, clean up of the discs and replaced the pads, suprisingly the nipples still work too!

i've got the gearbox back too, the delay was getting the correct bits from renault. fully refurbed with added bush to keep the shaft in situ

so got it back in this evenin

also finished off the fuel pump tray, some polycarbonate, u clamps and rubber bobbins

as i ripped the other engine mounts i thought i'd get some more, and if they're good enough for a gtt they'll do for the van, so got some v8 mounts

just waiting on a couple more bits before the engine goes back in.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

not wanting to waste a day and be roped into household chores i thought i'd find something else to do on the van. so i made a start and wrapped the downpipe

then decided that the crank seal isnt weaping to badly so it can wait until the next time the engine comes out. the paddle clutch has been sent off for some new pads and looking like it could be the middle of jan before i get it back so reverted back to the the valeo 215mm clutch and got the engine back in

and the mounts looking pretty std too

i've shortened the air intake run to take up less space

and i've re done the intercooler run to take this modified frontera cooler

few more bits to finish it off and then try to re work the grille around it.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

got round to the gearstick just before christmas

chopped it about and moved the pivot point 7cm higher than std, had to enlarge the floor but the travel from 1st to second has improved from about 20cm to about 10 and feels alot closer.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

little more progress, the weather has finally been nice enough for another tinker. got the gear box oil in and a few other checks before firing it up again. all was fine, tried selecting gears, nothing. adjusted the clutch further and further with no avail. resorted to shiming the engine and box and has reseloved the problem, so its either the new shaft has a different spline length, not fully in the box with the new brass collar or the std valeo clutch has a wider centre than the paddle and oe van. also the crank seal weep is more apparent now flicking oil onto the exhaust, not severve but needs sorting, so the engine is going to have to come out. . .again.
    had a little test drive to check things over so i can tootle about until i'm waiting for parts,

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psd7c2f70d.mp4

Post Thanks / Like

I love this so much

Post Thanks / Like

Any recent progress on this ?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

actually there has been biggs, but very little pics as some look the same, i'd just forgotten to update the thread a while back.
    the engine wasn't running as smooth as it could be, and with the previously mentioned niggles the engine was removed again.
    i figured it was time to pull the engine apart.

as you can see the cams are quite different even at a glance, the E cam that came in the engine and the std that was a spare. the std cam allows to be a tooth out either way and the E cam can only be timed up correctly. my concern was that i had noticed the belt wasn't as tight as it should be when i bought the engine back, but as i hadn't ran it wasn't an issue.

so the head was removed

and a closer inspection revealed some slight rubbing on all pistons

and one very slightly bent valve

it turns out that the engine had been ran by the previous owner after the cam and belt had been professionally fitted

so the head was replaced with a decent spare and i used the std cam, since the rest of the set up was std and there is no reason for the van to rev higher than std.

the sump was removed to give it a clean out and a fresh bead of sealant and a washer

and finally bothered to replace the crank seal

the spigot bearing has been wacked further into the crank and the engine has been fitted back into place and finally runs nice, and without any leaks!

i've trimmed the grille to sit round the frontera cooler for the oe look, yes i know i've damaged the no. plate from getting under and out of the van!

and i have added a couple of pmt gauges to see what things are doing.

i have a couple more little jobs to do like upping the boost, painting the plastics then it will be up for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

and it can fit all this in too brigsy

Post Thanks / Like

i think videos are needed, just for ****s and giggles, bet its a right laugh

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

there is adey, follow the thread back

ah, there's one outside scoff's, loooks like a poor quality side of van pic, the other is just a link on a post

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psd7c2f70d.mp4

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the plan was to carpet the rear and finish a few bits and sell it early next year . . . . except it got stolen off my drive last night. I suspect it'll be for a ram raid and then burnt out or stripped and weighed in for scrap. I don't thing anyone on here will hear/see anything but if you do, please let me know, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

what the ****, gutting

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Christ! The scumbags will have had a shock when they put their foot down.

Here's to hoping they have their hands aputated.

Post Thanks / Like

****ers, it's the time and effort that has gone into it that must piss you off the most, not to mention the funds, at least you don't see many of them so you never know someone might spot it.

Post Thanks / Like

Utter BallBags - gutted for ya Haz.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

****ing scum. All that hard work and now this. Truly gutted for you

Post Thanks / Like

Utter **** mate! Can't beleive they steal a car like that, then atleast steal something that's valueble to sell!

Just a hint, i personally don't use facebook but friends of mine realy have had succes with it.
    Send a pic and discription to all your buddies and ask them to forward them!

Post Thanks / Like

No way, gutted for you mate

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

B@stards!! Hope you get it back mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Really sorry to hear that Haz. It sickens me to hear that people still do this sh!t.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute ****ers, sorry to hear this!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah feck

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news mate... hope the cops get them and find it soon.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a call earlier to say the van has been found abandoned about 10miles away and the vin plates in town?? I presume it's just local scallies who may have seen the van and took it for a joy ride? I can't get it back until forensics have dusted it and not seen it either. I've been told there's £150 collection charge, smashed back window, stoved in side door and damage to dash, ignition and column but there's bound to be more wrong with it. At least it hadn't been burnt out.
    I don't think cars feel the same when this has happens so i plan to get it back, sort out some security and rectify whatever is damaged, finish a few bits then get it up for sale. If anyone here may be interested rather than eBay I am happy to do more/less to suit buyer.
    Thanks for the support

Post Thanks / Like

Result in some way i suppose. Good job haz hope its not too badly damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

first time i'd read this project thread... not the usual end to one of these threads

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it's been found.

Don't rush to get rid Haz. See what's what first and make a decision then. It might not be as bad as you think.

Put a PMT immob on it this time!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad its been found, but they are charging you for your vehicle which got stolen to get it back

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to finish a few bits and sell it early next year anyway Trev, back on with the 21 over Christmas so was going as soon as that was done to fund finally getting the 11 done. I also have my 172 to sell on, no need for 4 vehicles!
    Yeah dale, £150 collection charge, £20 a day storage after forensics have been, and the depo is further away than where it was found. I'm hoping it was just dumped because it ran out of fuel as gauge wasnt working.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the T1000 is a much more interesting project than an 11 or 21 but that's just me being selfish and wanting to see more without putting in any effort myself

Hope it comes back in reasonable condition. Can't believe the cost of the storage/collection. Once you add in fuel, advertising costs, plus the time and effort associated with both things, is it actually worth collection?? Or would it be as easy to tell them to scrap it?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, it's definitely unique. The only downside for the van imo is the gear ratios, had I taken more notice before getting the box built I would have changed the gear set. Top speed of 85mph @6200, 70mph around 4k so wants to cruise around 60-65 so it's fine round town which is what I mostly do but I don't like driving that slow for long distance, to be fair a std gt is only just off boost around 70mph. Possibly a t25 would but more suited for motorways, or bigger wheels. I would prefer it to stay in the club, but if rather get is some and pull some cash out as I may not be as 'lucky' next time.
    The 21 sells for peanuts, had no takers and prefer that than the 172 so will be my daily.
    The 11 I've had too long and will be my fast family alternative to a 5.
    Regards the costs, I'll be informed once forensics have been so will pick it up that day, its only 20miles or so away. The t1000's tend to fetch £1000 ish for one as tidy as this/was if you can find one, most are blue and rot boxes. I was hoping to ask around 2k once it was all pimped up

Post Thanks / Like

Get it finished mate, should sell easywhen finished!