Post Thanks / Like

R5 Project

First post!

Well after 6 months of fixing our house I finally finish and start work on my new project. I have been informed my vehicle is not a 1 or 2 but a Phase 1.5. However she is poorly at the moment and needs some attention. It has an annoying rattle when it starts that disappears when the clutch is depressed and comes back when released. Have been told by three different mechanics that its either the clutch, gearbox or engine each one choosing one of the three. It didn't have it when I bought it and occurred 10 miles from my home after driving it 90 miles. Due to the noise I have not tried to drive it anywhere or even start it except for getting mechanics to listen to it.

Anyhow got an interior to fit as well as most of it had been stripped out due to the previous owner wanting to race it. So should keep me busy for a while. Thankfully I have a donor Phase 1 that I can get most bits off but just want to give it a drive. Will keep you updated on my progress.

1 question though 2 bucket seats and harness or a full set of seats?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 Project

Get a recording up, sounds like it may be some sort of backlash in the gears, or clutch cover springs broken? i doubt its engine rattle, pressing the clutch shouldnt make any difference.

Non-member Pete@Backyard Racing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like worn clutch release bearing to me.
    Get some more pics of your car up dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Ps welcome to the club.
    Answer to your question IMO 2 STD front seats with STD seatbelts and stripped interior (cos you already have them so cheap, comfy easy to get in and out of and reclinable) spend your money on getting the car running properly.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Will do.

Clutch release bearings that sounds familiar as one of the mechanics said that too. Trying to get hold of Mike at GT Turbo Spares to see if he will take it in and get it running smoothly and without any noise except the purr of the engine.

Seats I will get back too as the bucket seats are in this one and the donor car has a full set of seats although looking at them tonight someone has taken a chop saw to the seat release levers (dont know why).

Another decision I have to make though is what wheels to put on it as I have three types to choose from at present.

Standard Phase 2
    TSW's
    or what is currently on it.

I want to keep the standard wheels for show but as the car doesn't have an original bumper or tail it might look a bit odd. Plus the exhaust is side mounted so the rear would look odd with the exhaust cut out there but no exhaust. I have the old style bumpers off a phase 1 as thats my donor car but that will be going this weekend so decisions need to be made plus it will need some wheels on it to get it on the trailer.

So the decision is on the TSW's and the unknowns they are all kerbed anyway so one set will be sending off once I get it running and the inside sorted out.

The interior plastics will all be sent away for flocking with Pheonix as they are all scuffed and Carl seems to do a good job.

Will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by Numptysnumnuts; 13-09-2012 at 22:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Defo Clutch release bearing - change the clutch whilst you're in there, for the cost - you might as well. Also consider if you want + 200bhp and consider your clutch options.

Post Thanks / Like

TNT Andy - Yes I am looking at somewhere between 200 - 250, as an ex Focus ST owner who now drives a 1.6 TDCI C Max (company car thing ) I miss something with a bit of punch.

However again me not knowing a great deal about these (although I did when I was a kid because they were everywhere) I wouldnt know which one to choose, if there are an array to choose from. The advert said it had a competition clutch fitted but its life expectancy I suppose depends on the previous owners lead boot which as previously mentioned may have been a bit hard as he was doing it up for racing.

I have a large A4 ring binder that I am trying to decipher as well at the moment that has its life story or most of it in there including the original bill of sale for the car. Can't believe they cost only £10,500 brand new back in 85 but then I suppose that was a fair bit then for a car.

So if you can recommend a clutch I am more than happy to go with people that know rather than someone who see pounds signs when I walk in the door.

Post Thanks / Like

Valeo (geen box) clutch ,for volvo 440t I think.
    From Gsf/ Gt turbo spares.
    Good for 200bhp and £cheap.
    Get a new cable and longer Volvo clutch fork to make it more useable on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete@Backyard Racing View Post
    Valeo (geen box) clutch ,for volvo 440t I think.
    From Gsf/ Gt turbo spares.
    Good for 200bhp and £cheap.
    Get a new cable and longer Volvo clutch fork to make it more useable on the road.
    Good choice

and I'll second the clutch release bearing.

Welcome to the club

Post Thanks / Like

What or who is GSF?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Numptysnumnuts View Post

What or who is GSF?
    German, Swedish & French - http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Markg

Post Thanks / Like

Got to be the release bearing. Rattle type noise.

Go with the valeo clutch. Can't beat it. Ticks the boxes!
    Whilst its out you just as well shave some kg's off your flywheel. If your good with a spanner then take the engine out as whole and give it a clean/tidy up.

Post Thanks / Like

Will take all on board.

Strange though as I put a new battery in her and started her up yesterday for the first time in about 3 months (video camera at ready for the noise) and as I knew what to do to stop the dreaded noise I put my foot on the clutch. After a couple of splutters she sprang into life (which was good as I had taken some electrics apart to clean them up and obviously put them back together correctly ). I then let my foot gently off the clutch and due to its lack of use must have stuck because the car didnt do any thing then jumped backwards and stalled as I had left it in gear . Yes I know rule 101 when learning to drive ensure car is in neutral when starting . Now I don't know if its because of this or just lack of use but the noise has gone. Left her running for a good 10 minutes on the drive and nothing. Even took it round the block to turn it round on the drive and nothing. There was something wrong with the car and its an underlying fault that I know is there. When it goes to an R5 mechanic it will be stripped and the Valeo one put in but for now I have a car that purrs