Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Little help

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Got the car running other day after rebuild...its running fairly crappy no matter what i do...im thinking timing out a bit...what is the handiest way to adjust the timing
    CHEERS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little help

Did you take any of the dizzy out or timing chain off when doing work to the engine?

Only reason i ask is if you left everything as it was then won't be timing, more than likely looking at carb.
    Last edited by Markey Mark (BD); 29-11-2011 at 19:56.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i didnt rebuild the engine but i say they did... it got a full rebuild...im after trying every else spent the hole day adjusting carb no good

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thats cool well i'm wondering if they put dizzy back in a tooth out or 2

Easy way to check is line the marking on the flywheel up with the 0deg mark on the gearbox, once done that see where the rotor arm is sittingit should be lined up with number 1 on the cap (6 o-clock position). If its not dead inline or a fair bit out then timing is out

If it points up towards engine then not to worry, rotate engine round again and it'll bring it back to TDC on number 1

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks man will give that a go tomorrow... hope that will sort it, it wrecking my head now

Post Thanks / Like

your everywhere robie! i might need to pic your brain soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain better than crappy?
    Is it idling at all? is it missfiring is it lumpy, idling high?
    check for any vacuum leaks on the inlet manifold/carb area, brake cleaner is the easiest way, spray it around that aread, if the engine note changes then your drawing in air.
    other things to check are vacuum pipe attached to aei, dizzy condition and timing, plug gaps and condition of plugs, does is just sound crappy? check manifold nuts are tight/turbo nuts tight/downpipe tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    check for any vacuum leaks on the inlet manifold/carb area, brake cleaner is the easiest way, spray it around that aread, if the engine note changes then your drawing in air.
    other things to check are vacuum pipe attached to aei, dizzy condition and timing, plug gaps and condition of plugs, does is just sound crappy? check manifold nuts are tight/turbo nuts tight/downpipe tight.
    ...maybe check and clean out the idle jet to,i had issues with that recently runs fine now....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok ill try i took me ages to get it started, once started it took me ages to keep it running its idling around 1k but drops off and cut out, it just doesnt sound right and its popping if reved over 3k but not popping much

i dont think i have leaks iv all new vac line and everthing that wasnt a tight fit was tied but ill check... plug gaps seem about right and dizzy, leads, plugs are new

I have a leak where downpipe meats exhaust allright, smokey, but that is hardly causing it

Cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    ...maybe check and clean out the idle jet to,i had issues with that recently runs fine now....
    I have checked that today man its doing my nut in now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robx1r View Post
    your everywhere robie! i might need to pic your brain soon!
    Hi rob hows the rebuild coming along

Post Thanks / Like

just waiting on monies!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

checked timing today and its not out...tightened all jubilee clips to the last.... cant check for leaks because its not starting again

any more ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds bang on like timing is out 180 degrees..

Post Thanks / Like

popping is usually caused by a lean mixture, difficult to say without seeing or hearing it, when it starts does it rev smoothly or is it rough and misfiring? does it try to pop back out of the inlet manifold? how do you try to hold the revs up(steadily, pumping/reving)?are you using the choke/throttle increase?

Post Thanks / Like

make sure the breather restricter is in the right angled pipe from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold one way valve

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

popping is usually caused by a lean mixture, difficult to say without seeing or hearing it, when it starts does it rev smoothly or is it rough and misfiring? does it try to pop back out of the inlet manifold? how do you try to hold the revs up(steadily, pumping/reving)?are you using the choke/throttle increase?
    When it did starts up it revs smooth enough with the choke out but with choke in it sounds rough and have to pull the throttle every few secs to keep it going...adjusted idle screw up but it still drops off....the poping im not to sure about, had a mechanic look at it last night and he said it was popping out filter, not to sure though i taught it was dumpvalve il have a closer listen if i get it going again....he also said timing was out a bit, but i checked that today and everything matched up with what was said above
    Wont even start now so im back to square one

Post Thanks / Like

if its popping out the filter then its either really lean and/or timing is incorrect(its popping back out of the inlet manifold/carb and through the boost pipes so you will hear it through the DV and the air filter. Have a look in the haynes and the articles or search the boards for how to set the distributor up. Its also possible cam timming but hopefully not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it is possible (been a long time since the re-build) but could the cam be out by a tooth?

Firstly rule out ignition timing with a strobe or static timing to prove that it is ok.
    Check cam timing after that - if ok - move onto fuel related tuning,

After that it's down to poor earths, faulty aei, etc etc.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting a lend of a timing light tonight....is the mark on the flywheel the only timing mark or will i find one under timing chain cover
    there's a mark scratched on to timing chain cover near the front, just above pulley....not to sure about it though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robie5 View Post
    Getting a lend of a timing light tonight....is the mark on the flywheel the only timing mark or will i find one under timing chain cover
    there's a mark scratched on to timing chain cover near the front, just above pulley....not to sure about it though
    If you remove the timing chain cover you will find a mark on the bottom and top wheel which should line up with each other when rotated to TDC. There are no other marks on them nor is there any marks on the outer cover or wheel.

The mark on the flywheel (long line) is only one on there too, that tells you the cam and crank should be lined up, if not it'll only be 180deg out so rotate engine again one more time

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers lads....had the timing light going this morning.....hard to get the car idling at 1 k though so i tryed at 1.5k first, couldn't see the mark i put on flywheel but the tooth i was looking at seem fairly stationary gave the odd jump over and back....eventually got the car to idle a 1k for a short while and could see mark then but it was jumping all over the place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robie5 View Post
    cheers lads....had the timing light going this morning.....hard to get the car idling at 1 k though so i tryed at 1.5k first, couldn't see the mark i put on flywheel but the tooth i was looking at seem fairly stationary gave the odd jump over and back....eventually got the car to idle a 1k for a short while and could see mark then but it was jumping all over the place
    If it's there, then that's good - it's not a serious timing issue!