Post Thanks / Like

An everyday run around?

First post!

Hello all,

My name is ben, im 19 and im hopefully just about to purchase my first R5. I have up to around £3500 to get a good one. The question i have to those that have owned one, if i got a good unmolested one, would it be reliable to do a trip from bristol to plymouth twice a week?
    These have always been my dream car but i cant afford to spend thousands constantly maintaining it. Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An everyday run around?

Hi there ben,

Welcome to the club.

The question you ask is a broad one, but it goes like this. If you have a good 5, then it will be as reliable as any good car. There are plenty of members here that use them for day to day driving and have done for many years. A good car is a good car no matter what. So if you have a well looked after car then there is no need for concern. But an alternator can pack up on any car good bad or indifferent. So really there is no correct answer really.

Mine packed up on me last month for the 1st time in 7 years of owning it, but the good thing is, is that it is very simple to put right if it does go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks andy

I guess your right thats a pretty vague question. Do good examples come through the website for sale often. I have spent a couple of weeks looking at them now and it appears around £3k should get a good one

thanks again

ben

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjibrady View Post
    First post!

Hello all,

My name is ben, im 19 and im hopefully just about to purchase my first R5. I have up to around £3500 to get a good one. The question i have to those that have owned one, if i got a good unmolested one, would it be reliable to do a trip from bristol to plymouth twice a week?
    These have always been my dream car but i cant afford to spend thousands constantly maintaining it. Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers
    Hello Ben and welcome to the club. I remember when I was 19 and in my second year of ownership! 18 years later I still have a GTT! Be careful mate, once they get in to your blood they will never leave!

With the money you have you'll be able to get yourself a nice example and as long as you don't do silly things to it the car will be fine. If you have any questions regarding ones you see don't be afraid to ask them on here, post the ad up your looking at and we'll give you the best advice we can.

Now that your here, make sure you put yourself on the map HERE and if you have any questions you feel you want answering privately have a look on here to find your local area rep. A real good bunch of guys willing to help out as best they can...You can find them HERE

Welcome to the club mate

Post Thanks / Like

Really appreciate the warm welcome thanks guys. Im dead excited about my first R5 (well on the road anyway)

Look forward to meeting you at meets sometime soon

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link to the map Lomo!

Welcome Ben, looks like you already got the best investment in terms of R5 ownership and that's an RTOC membership

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum bud My 5 is pretty low, t2/t25, huge front mount, 18psi etc etc and its fine as a daily (touch wood). I even do regular short trips to and from work and she copes fine.
    If you spend 3k then it should be a bang tidy model but get someone to go with you to look at it, maybe an rtocer in your area? Hope thats helped mate and once again welcome!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

should get a sweet 5 for that wonga. what are you looking for a standard or modded 1?

either way ive always used my 5s for daily drives and they managed fine, just make sure the basics are in good condition like cooling etc and look out for rust!
    Last edited by tom t; 18-06-2011 at 22:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Oww what a lovely warm welcome. I'm not really to fussed if it's modified or not, having said that I bought one as a first car but could never afford the insurance on it so it never went on the road. To cut a long story short I only spent 800 and got ripped of for a heap so I'm going to spend a fair amount more and invest in a good one. Do you reckon if i offered someone £75 to come with me to make sure it's a good one that I would get any takers. Sorry to be a noob but i love this cars and want to get one I can fall in love with

Thanks for all your help guys it's massively appreciated

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben & welcome to the club!

A 5GTT would be more than capable for a quick trip down to Plymouth twice a week....BUT....you've got to make sure you get a goodun in the first place & when you get it, make sure that you get the carb fuelling set up!

Have a read of the latest comprehensive buyers guide that the club put together recently HERE.

I'm sure someone will be willing to look at a car with you for the cost of a couple of bacon butties

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that most of the RTOC crew on here will do it for nowt.

Few beers pushed in their direction , but not cold hard cash .. .

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers I didnt want to make it sound like I was taking the biscuit I'm dead excited. Will give that buyers guide a thorough look through.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club

We use the 5 every day and does a minimum of 70 miles a day just to work and back. Over the last few years we have done about 25,000 miles year in it and I can say we do not have any problem other than normal wear. The plus side is parts are cheap and it fun every time I drive it.

I have driven a 5 almost every day for the last 9 years and it has been great.

This was a good car that is now up for sale on eBay 130532665908 it was Dave SBS car and it ran very well.
    Cheers
    Chris

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in Plymouth if you ever need a hand mate, just drop me a pm !

Welcome to the club!

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Welcome to the club!
    you have pm buddy....sorry for hijack....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Welcome to the club!
    I work in plymouth so at some point i may with great appreciation take you up on that offer. Thanks very much

Post Thanks / Like

Buy my raider and And I'll throw in reliability for free

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    Buy my raider and And I'll throw in reliability for free

Im very tempted. How much are you after for it. T&T? v5 present? when was the oil last changed? If you could please PM me some details i would appreciate it.

Cheers

Ben