Post Thanks / Like

Oil feed / filter from hose solutions

Just recieved my new oil line / filter from Ben@Hose solutions

Looks nice.

I've read mixed opinions about the feed from them so thought I would write up on the install which I will do tomorrow.

But for the time being here's a few pic's

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%...d/DSCF3800.JPG

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%...d/DSCF3799.JPG

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%...d/DSCF3798.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil feed / filter from hose solutions

BTW - This is not the most interesting thread ever.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

looks good, I was thinking of speaking to ben about maybe a group buy for these.... as i know of a few members whom are interested in them

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    looks good, I was thinking of speaking to ben about maybe a group buy for these.... as i know of a few members whom are interested in them
    me included..come on finger out......

Post Thanks / Like

OK - So far not so good.

This is the original in place......................

This is a comparison of the 2 feeds...................

The new feed is longer than the other, but I should be able to move the oil take off point round a little to compensate for that.

The main problem I have is with the adaptor to go to the turbo, the new one is much bigger and coarser than the original one, I'll get in touch with Ben and see what he suggests. I told him that this was a T28 Turbo, This must not be the case. Handy, any clarification here would be helpful.

See.....

And

The original is on the right.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 30-11-2010 at 23:05.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

5teveL had a similar problem with the hose solutions oil feed it's as though they merely cut the pipe in 1/2 and stick the filter in it's place which makes it to long and can give it a nasty kinky dependant on the size of your turbo and actuator size.

Ref to the oil feed adaptor type, T28 core's are prob not all the same thread type's I would be tempted to go to a Pirtex if you have one near you with the new oil feed and the old adaptor and get them to match a new adaptor up for you prob only cost you a few £'s

Post Thanks / Like

A trip to the local Pirtek me thinks? Or if the car isn't in use send the two hoses back to hose solutions. The different types of adapters are mind boggling. I ended up getting rid of an old turbo because i couldn't get anyone to match the correct adapters etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    5teveL had a similar problem with the hose solutions oil feed it's as though they merely cut the pipe in 1/2 and stick the filter in it's place which makes it to long and can give it a nasty kinky dependant on the size of your turbo and actuator size.

Ref to the oil feed adaptor type, T28 core's are prob not all the same thread type's I would be tempted to go to a Pirtex if you have one near you with the new oil feed and the old adaptor and get them to match a new adaptor up for you prob only cost you a few £'s

I've sent Ben and Email, I'll see if he's any ideas first and look to find a local Pirtex or similar.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 30-11-2010 at 23:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    A trip to the local Pirtek me thinks? Or if the car isn't in use send the two hoses back to hose solutions. The different types of adapters are mind boggling. I ended up getting rid of an old turbo because i couldn't get anyone to match the correct adapters etc.
    Hope it won't come to this, The car is off the road ATM so sending both off to hose solutions is not a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    I've sent Adam and Email, I'll see if he's any ideas first and look to find a local Pirtex or similar.
    i dont think adam can help you, you need pirtec or think auto for a adaptor. or unscrew the new and old from the oil pipe and see if they will swap over.

edit,, at the bottom of your old one is a adaptor screwed on. unscrew it and add it to your new one.

Post Thanks / Like

I struggled finding the right size adapter for my t28, after much searching this is what i came up with.
    http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/pro...7&cat=0&page=1

I then bought a filter and adapter to fit onto my braided oil line. This was on my b18ft engine.
    i also have ben@ solutions setup on my c1j. Had to move the take off adapter on the block round a bit, take off the oneway valve, and it just about fits. Done about 3000 miles like this with no probs, but its is very tight and is kinked slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    I struggled finding the right size adapter for my t28, after much searching this is what i came up with.
    http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/pro...7&cat=0&page=1

I then bought a filter and adapter to fit onto my braided oil line. This was on my b18ft engine.
    i also have ben@ solutions setup on my c1j. Had to move the take off adapter on the block round a bit, take off the oneway valve, and it just about fits. Done about 3000 miles like this with no probs, but its is very tight and is kinked slightly.

I don't think the length will be an issue once the adaptor is sorted, but that adapter may be an option if I could find out what the thread size / type is that is on there ATM. Thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

probably either 6AN or 4AN, so you've got a good chance of it fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Rito - I had everything I needed as it turned out. A quick response from Ben as usual and I'm sorted. As you can see there are 2x 45 deg bends in situ which doesn't bother me at all and no issue as far as I'm concerned. There are no kinks in the line at all.

And that's that. I'm very pleased with the way it looks, I've not tightened it up and run it yet to check for leaks etc, but I can't see why it should.

10/10 imo - Thanks for your help people, some usefull links and info for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer was written ages ago.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Common problem. There are several companies that sell them off the self for the R5 GT Turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same filter/feed and i managed to get it to fit without to much hassle from memory i didn't have as much flexable hose as yours has so i had to slightly bend the oil feed from the block to make it fit.

The adaptor was also a problem for me, my local pirtek where about as much use as a priest in a brothel! they couldn't even tell me what thread size it was, i did get a slight feeling the guy just couldn't be arsed and having used a few other branches of pirtek in the past i never had any problems before.

I got my adaptor from atp turbo in the end, then had to go to pirtek again to get a fitting from the oil feed to the adaptor. (worked out quite good actually as this enable the feed to clear the actator bracket nicely)

Bit of a faff really and it had me wondering why they make turbos with obscure thread sizes?

The filter is really easy to get off and clean out also although i have never found any swarf in mine at all (might be a differant story since my headgasket/liner went pop)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

how much did he charge to fit it as ive got a brand new Hel one but want a filter fitting to it
    cheers
    matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matty j View Post
    how much did he charge to fit it as ive got a brand new Hel one but want a filter fitting to it
    cheers
    matt
    The whole thing cost me £45.00 delivered, which I consider could be money well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    The answer was written ages ago.
    The answer to What?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    at the bottom of your old one is a adaptor screwed on. unscrew it and add it to your new one.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So that pipe and filter or just filter fitted?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a bit more on this.

A few members have shown some concern about the filter gauze in this filter.

Here's a few pics - Whatcha think?

Handy andy need not respond.

This filters down to 140 microns according to Earls. Is this not sufficient?
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 19-02-2011 at 08:38.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

could'nt resist

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On...fuel__333.html

mine is a 120 micron gauge andy,and i still think its a finer gauze than what you've shown above in the pictures, a 140 micron gauze would be finer still ,i would have thought

Post Thanks / Like

That's not gonna stop enough of the swarf.

Post Thanks / Like

Some filter down to 25 microns which is 0.025mm I've just found some mesh which will go down to 35 microns 0.035mm. Think that should be better than what have I.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woven-Wire-400...ht_1513wt_1140

Let me know if anyone needs any replacement mesh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    could'nt resist

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On...fuel__333.html

mine is a 120 micron gauge andy,and i still think its a finer gauze than what you've shown above in the pictures, a 140 micron gauze would be finer still ,i would have thought

Might be a bit on the large side there Andy, I've had a poke around, some filter down to as much as 10 microns which is very small. There are a lot filtering to 25 microns and if I'm right your oil filter filters down to about 100 microns. Assuming there is no bypass to your oil filter then your in-line oil filter will be doing nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a bit on the large side there Andy, I've had a poke around, some filter down to as much as 10 microns which is very small. There are a lot filtering to 25 microns and if I'm right your oil filter filters down to about 100 microns. Assuming there is no bypass to your oil filter then your in-line oil filter will be doing nothing.

http://www.ruderacing.co.uk/Turbo_Ac...duct_info.html

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

mine is deffo a lot finer gauze than the item shown in the piccys, got the micron bit wrong took my filter out last night to compare and there was a bit of swarf in the mesh

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone considered the pressure drop across these filters??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Has anyone considered the pressure drop across these filters??
    No Matt - I don't think anyone has, or if it needs to be considered due to the very high pressure at this point, I really don't know enough about this to comment really. It would be good to see some gauzes from filters that people have been running for years without problems to get some idea of what to put in there. I won't be pleased if I spend a wedge getting my turbo reconditioned only to starve it of oil due to a too fine a gauze being fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, been on to Cr TUrbo's this morning. VIew wouldn't comment on this but pointed me in the direction of Bailey Motor.sport. view filter down to 25 Microns. I guess that this would be the figure to be aiming at. I've gone for 35 microns which is much improved over a 100 Micron oil filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, been on to Cr TUrbo's this morning. VIew wouldn't comment on this but pointed me in the direction of Bailey Motor.sport. view filter down to 25 Microns. I guess that this would be the figure to be aiming at. I've gone for 35 microns which is much improved over a 100 Micron oil filter.
    That said - I've just had a response from Earls motor sport which reads:-

My E-mail to them

Hi there - I have recently purchased the above in line oil filter to use as a pre turbo filter. I have looked at the specs to find that this filters down to 140 microns. I have no idea how big 140 microns is, so I have attached a photo of the filter. Is does that look like a 140 micron filter? If so is that adequate for this application or do I need a finer gauze.

Many thanks

AS

There Response to me

Hi Andy,

The filter you have there is 140 micron which is perfect for your application.

Best regards,

Adam Libby
    Technical Sales & Purchasing.

Earl's Performance Products UK Ltd
    Tel:+44(0)1803 869850
    DDI:+44(0)1803 869852
    Fax:+44(0)1803 869851
    E-mail:adam.libby@earls.co.uk
    Web:http://www.earls.co.uk/

Whatcha all make of that?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Its only my opinion but my gut feeling is that 140 micron is not going to do a lot to protect a 360deg bearing with its tiny drillings. In comparision the bailey type I have used for years is 25 micron. Pressure drop will be relative to how much oil the turbo gets through but to give you an idea my old T3 on the C1J had about a 2-3 psi drop across the filter. That's 25 micron remember, you'll see almost no pressure drop with that 140 micron thing.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

andy, is that actually the filter gauze you've taken a picture of ? asuming your thumb is about 20mm wide (a rule of thumb? lol) then that gauze's pitch is more than 1mm. 140 micron is 0.14mm, so it should be 10 times finer than that. Is there not another, finer gauze inside somewhere ?

Post Thanks / Like

That one in the pic wouldn't even strain tea leaves

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    andy, is that actually the filter gauze you've taken a picture of ? asuming your thumb is about 20mm wide (a rule of thumb? lol) then that gauze's pitch is more than 1mm. 140 micron is 0.14mm, so it should be 10 times finer than that. Is there not another, finer gauze inside somewhere ?
    That's all I got from Hose Solutions

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a filter each end or just that one big one?
    pretty sure the filter I had was finer that that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Is there a filter each end or just that one big one?
    pretty sure the filter I had was finer that that.
    Not sure on that - I'll have a look on Tuesday once I get back in the Garage.

Over and out.

Good point BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on that - I'll have a look on Tuesday once I get back in the Garage.

Over and out.

Good point BTW.
    Didn't get Gm there. Will be Thursday. What we did do was think that a 55mm trim compressor wheel should measure 55mm across. How stupid am I?

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't get Gm there. Will be Thursday. What we did do was think that a 55mm trim compressor wheel should measure 55mm across. How stupid am I?
    Got in there for an hour last night - took the filter apart again and there was nothing else in there. The mesh I have got (400 from the link)........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1513wt_1140

Seems way to fine. I have had a look at TNT Ross's filter and the 400 mesh which I bought is quoted at being 35 microns (0.035mm) seems way finer that that. I have asked the company for a sample of each type and I'll measure up the most fitting one.

I fitted the 400 mesh to the filter again and there was a fair amount of resistance when blowing through the line in comparison to a standard un-filtered line. I don't know if this would be an issue or how to measure pressure drop from one side to the other.

I'll keep hunting for the answer.