Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any bmw fiends on here?

Hey guys.

Anyone have a history of bmws? I would say 80% of my 10 year car history(ive had a load of cars in that time) has been bm's. Mainly the e30 3 series type, of which I owned an e30 m3 when they were cheap, but if I knew the money they would aspire for now then I would have held onto it! Which is why I dont think I will ever sell the GT ever.

My last car was an e46 m3 which was epic in everyway, but running costs were expensive, and if anything the GT gets alot more attention for the right reasons.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any bmw fiends on here?

Always had Renaults until I drove a E36 318is. Now currently driving a E46 330D which has been mapped, do love the drive of it, but still doesn't bring as big as smile as driving the Renault 5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Always had Renaults until I drove a E36 318is. Now currently driving a E46 330D which has been mapped, do love the drive of it, but still doesn't bring as big as smile as driving the Renault 5
    Nice. Tbh the 330d is all the car you could ever need. While e46's are now long in the tooth, they still look fantastic with the m-sport kit and some nice 18 inch oem wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up non sport 184bhp version for £2 with 99k miles and full bmw service history. The sport versions were just slightly out of my spending budget as I had just sold my E46 328i which was killing me on petrol so dread to think what the M3 is like.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

99k with dealer history is good value for 2k!

The m3 was terrible on fuel. My daily commute around town worked out at around 20mpg, and that was driving like a pensioner. Fantastic car, but the insurance(along with the fuel) was rather painful, and that was before I got caught twice for speeding.

Ive also got an old e34 b10 alpina stashed away in my aunties garage, albeit in a rather sorry state.

I do love my bmw's but im not a marque bore. I had a 21 turbo a few years back, and wanted another when the m3 went but i ended up with the 5 turbo. I guess its a nostalgia thing, I have a long list of other cars to own also. Namely an astra gte, carlton gsi, another 21 turbo, rs turbo etc etc. Just need the space(and funding) to collect them

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I own a E90 325I M sport, owned it since July and its only done 18,000 miles such a nice car to cruise about in but it is thirsty. I've also owned a m sport kitted 318is on a k plate many years ago. Not the best pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

18k on an 06 plate. Nice! The 325i/330i e9x models are great cars, and the best varients of the model range. Everyone seems to pine for the 335i/d but they are terrible coin when they go wrong.

I take it the 5 is the sunday car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alpina View Post
    99k with dealer history is good value for 2k!
    Yeah, and a manual version as well. Took ages to find it, the bloke wanted it gone quickly, had a running issue, the fuel pump was packing up, replaced that and ran sweet.

Do like the newer shape BMW on the 3 series, but still quite a price on them. Plus they are all going to autos for the engine I want which I still like my manuals.

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my Renault 5 many moons ago to purchase a Audi s3, then I sold that and bought another one hence my screen name.

Then I purchased a convertible E46 M3 which I loved. Passed that on and got a E46 320d 6 speed M sport which ended up eating the swirl flaps and I scrapped that car for a measly £900 I have never re-covered that loss.

I then got a Merc C32 AMG which was also another decent car but sold that on to help fund the business.

I'm now looking at lease options and out of all the cars to choose from I'm looking at the BMWs.

Its either the 125d or the go the complete opposite end and get the new low tax 116d with no congestion charge etc and save some pennies as the BIK is much lower and great mpg.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

18k on an 06 plate. Nice! The 325i/330i e9x models are great cars, and the best varients of the model range. Everyone seems to pine for the 335i/d but they are terrible coin when they go wrong.

I take it the 5 is the sunday car
    I would never have a diesel again, my previous car was a mondeo ST tdci 155. Was a great car for over four years then it went over 90k and things just started to die and like u say repairing a diesel is not cheap so I sold it before it started to cost me loads off money.

The 5 is having some upgrades/repairs at the moment but yes it's just a toy

Post Thanks / Like

I did check about the swirl flaps, luckily my one doesn't come with them as hear they do cause a lot of damage

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did check about the swirl flaps, luckily my one doesn't come with them as hear they do cause a lot of damage
    The 330d did come with the swirl flaps, but they would have been rectified by the main dealer, as yours has the history.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    I sold my Renault 5 many moons ago to purchase a Audi s3, then I sold that and bought another one hence my screen name.

Then I purchased a convertible E46 M3 which I loved. Passed that on and got a E46 320d 6 speed M sport which ended up eating the swirl flaps and I scrapped that car for a measly £900 I have never re-covered that loss.

I then got a Merc C32 AMG which was also another decent car but sold that on to help fund the business.

I'm now looking at lease options and out of all the cars to choose from I'm looking at the BMWs.

Its either the 125d or the go the complete opposite end and get the new low tax 116d with no congestion charge etc and save some pennies as the BIK is much lower and great mpg.
    A c32 was/is a car I wanted to own. I went to santapod and a standard one was doing 13.5 out of the box. But it looks the same as a 220cdi apart from some subtle mods to the body.

Post Thanks / Like

The c32 was faster than the M3. Raced a couple and the AMG just blasted them away. Also they are very rare. I never saw one in the whole time I had mine.

I came across one in a salvage yard on a CATD and the guy said I could have a go up the road as it was a runner. I was sold in about 20 yards. The torque and power was so obvious.

I then went and found a decent one with 50k and low owners and kept it a couple of years but they rust on the rear arches so I sold mine before it creeped around the edge of the arch.

If I was looking for another Merc of that year it would be the C55 AMG which is the same chassis but has the V8.

Post Thanks / Like

The 330d did come with the swirl flaps, but they would have been rectified by the main dealer, as yours has the history.
    The 184bhp manual version never did as checked it up when got the car

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got an e46 320d touring as my daily drive. If I'm very careful i get 50+ mpg and more on a long steady run, but the second you look at the loud pedal it gets very thirsty!

So, question is, it has just clocked 99k miles, should i be worried about the swirl flap things and if so what should i do about it ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 2001 e39 530i Msport which I've owned for about 8 years now and think it's a great motor! Had a few bemmas though....... e30 318i, e30 320i, e30 323i (with full tartan recaro interior!), e28 535i, and a e24 635 csi.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Ive got an e46 320d touring as my daily drive. If I'm very careful i get 50+ mpg and more on a long steady run, but the second you look at the loud pedal it gets very thirsty!

So, question is, it has just clocked 99k miles, should i be worried about the swirl flap things and if so what should i do about it ?
    Alastair. Google is your friend.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fat roofer View Post
    I've got a 2001 e39 530i Msport which I've owned for about 8 years now and think it's a great motor! Had a few bemmas though....... e30 318i, e30 320i, e30 323i (with full tartan recaro interior!), e28 535i, and a e24 635 csi.
    Nice bunch of chariots there! I have never owned an e24 but its on my bucket list. I did own an e28 535i,(another car i shouldn't have sold!)

Post Thanks / Like

I own an E36 M3 GT one of only 50 built (about 20 remaining) have had it about 11yrs now.
    And just recently bought my missus an E70 X5

I used to have an E36 M3 EVO convertable and a 328 convertable M3 rep at the same time as my Other M3 too.

Great cars.

Post Thanks / Like

M3 GTS cool plate.. nice set of bmw all with enough power for some good fun. I had 535is e34 shape and a e34 m5 3.8 340bhp. Great power and huge maintanance bill they dont make em like that anymore. Build quality was second to none.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Mine went at 110,000 2 snapped off and the other 2 flaps were hanging by threads. I would remove the head straight away and remove them mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an E36 325i auto in boston green with M3 alloys, I loved that car. It's in my profile.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best cars i've owned. 320d m sport, nice looks, great spec and 50mpg with £90 a year tax. I do 20k+ miles a year so it was a wise choice.

Only thing that annoyed me about it was the stupid run flats and depreciation, but buying a decent one now for around £12k is very tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a cool picture.

I don't like the run flats on mine either and they cost a fortune, a guy I was chatting to said he just spent £2400 on 4 new tyres

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stu21t View Post
    That's a cool picture.

I don't like the run flats on mine either and they cost a fortune, a guy I was chatting to said he just spent £2400 on 4 new tyres
    That's crazy, I have Bridgestone run flats all round 3 are nearly brand new and one is getting close to the wear indicator. Anyway I'll get to the point I've looked into the prices and it should be about £200 - £250 fitted that's for a 245-35-18" rim. Iirc. That picture of the white one looks great

Just realised that price was for the x5 I assume

Post Thanks / Like

Yea for the X5 they are 335 35 20 I think. And the lunatic I spoke to got them from bmw.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the rears on mine with runflat's, when all 4 needed replacing I went with some yoko's (non runflats) and it drove like a different car and saved me a fortune. Did the same with my girlfriends old mini.

BMW's M division don't fit the M3 with runflats out the box................I don't need to look into why.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 320d msport Estate looks nice in white with the under door handle led's.
    I didn't replace my tyres with runflats just too expensive.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So have you all just got a can of run flat tyre foam in the boot then

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, nothing.
    If you get a flat tyre you just drive the car slowly until you get to a garage to fit a new one.
    The foam is designed to seal the hole and inflate a normal tyre, the sidewalls on run flats are tough enough to be driven on with no air.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, nothing.
    If you get a flat tyre you just drive the car slowly until you get to a garage to fit a new one.
    The foam is designed to seal the hole and inflate a normal tyre, the sidewalls on run flats are tough enough to be driven on with no air.
    I do get that. What I meant was what are the above doing to overcome a possible puncture if they have ditched the run flats

Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I own an E36 M3 GT one of only 50 built (about 20 remaining) have had it about 11yrs now.
    And just recently bought my missus an E70 X5

I used to have an E36 M3 EVO convertable and a 328 convertable M3 rep at the same time as my Other M3 too.

Great cars.

Thats an uber rare m3. The green ones were based on the 3litre iirc. Does shee still have the ally panels on her?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Run flats are terrible. And they make the larger m-variant wheels more prone to cracking on the inner rim.

Post Thanks / Like

I carried a can of foam in case i had a slow puncture, as with any major blow out (as runflats are only designed for punctures), it would require a call to the AA or RAC.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My mate has a very rare e30 320is in stunning condition.

here's his company, many have probably heard of them if your into ya Bm's http://www.etamotorsport.co.uk/

I've only ever owned 1 bm, ending up scrapping it after thinking I could drift

Last edited by Dave Reed; 12-03-2014 at 17:02.

Post Thanks / Like

got a 535d 2009 ..

remmaped to 345 bhp ….. 510 ft.lb

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an e36 m3 evo cabriolet. Used to sound awesome at 136mph!

Post Thanks / Like

Can of tyre foam for me. One in the 5 and one in the bmw.

Post Thanks / Like

That 320is above is hot!!!!!

Love my bm's heres a few of mine

328i on 9x17 style 5's, m3 evo exhaust manifolds and full system, m50, big bore throttle, loads of schnitzer stuff,loved this car but had to sell it to pay for house deposit.

E46 m3, every factory extra extended champange leather, individual mora purple

And my current e36 m3 evo in estoril blue with black vader interior that will have a little done to it over the summer

Last edited by rs250nut; 12-03-2014 at 23:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    I used to have an e36 m3 evo cabriolet. Used to sound awesome at 136mph!
    It will do that in fourth Matt!!!!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That E46 M3 is gorgeous. I'd love an M3 but just couldn't afford to run one, never mind.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    That 320is above is
    And my current e36 m3 evo in estoril blue with black vader interior that will have a little done to it over the summer

Love the individual, along with the e36 evo. I never owned one, but always lusted for one. Probably has some of the best front seats ever attached to a car.

ShaneP

First post!

Back after a short break

I have an E46 320D 150 which has been deflapped and is about to get mapped to 206. Having the flaps done is essential on all the diesel engines. As well as loads of other niggles that the E46 has. Amazing car though.

I want to post a pic of it but can't remember how to do it ? Could someone please instruct me how ?

My Raider is undergoing a full resto

Post Thanks / Like

Id be surprised if they can get it mapped with that sort of increase. Think its more common around 185bhp with that version. Need to be a member for pictures I would have thought.

ShaneP

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Id be surprised if they can get it mapped with that sort of increase. Think its more common around 185bhp with that version. Need to be a member for pictures I would have thought.
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree :-) I never believe the figures. It's CelticTuning down in Cornwall, their website lets you check quite a lot of cars and they have had great results with the VW PD engines.

ShaneP

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

The 184bhp manual version never did as checked it up when got the car
    Be sure to double check that dale. Two of my friends are 330d addicts. Between them the own 2 W plate 330Ds (both 184) a 03 330D (205 iirc) a 330CD and a e92 320d touring. Every one of those has been fitted with swirl flaps and now deleted with a kit from some place in Sheffield.