Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Orange OE Dial Replicas Fitting Guide

Right guys I fitted the prototype set to my clocks this evening & have to say I think they look FANTASTIC!!

OLD DIAL FACES

NEW DIAL FACES

They were fairly easy to fit but you do need to be careful as you have to pull the needles off each clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a go on an old set first as the speedo is broken so it won't matter if I mess them up.

I came up with this which may be helpful if you can't get good picture.

I used an old envelop as it was a bit stiffer, cut it a bit bigger than the dial, the speedo and rev counter. Took out the screw and pushed through the paper an screwed it back on. Hold it down and cut it to shape then mark the end of the needle. I found you have to have the clocks laying flat because of the balance weight in the needle. The fuel / oil / temperature gauges you have to take them out.

After some time of being careful not to damage the little peg I thought was plastic but turned out to be metal, I gave a good push from the back then gripped the top with a pear of pliers and twisted it out which didn't seem to damage it. Do the same as the speedo with the paper. Be careful pulling the needle off.

I hope this is helpful it worked for me.

Some pictures of how I did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New BRIGHT ORANGE OE Dial Replica's

OK guys, here's my 10 minute fitting guide!!

Remove the clocks from your car and you will see the clips on the top and bottom of the clocks which you will need to CAREFULLY prise up to remove the plastic screen from the clocks

Once you've got the cover off the clocks take a picture of ALL the clocks in detail so you can reference where the needles need to point. Ray had a good idea earlier in this thread of making a paper stencil to mark the needle position BE AWARE that the needles on the dials will rest in different positions depending upon if you have the dials standing up or laying on their backs!! However you take the picture you need to be sure that's how you re-fit the needles!

First we'll do the Tacho & Turbo Gauge. The Speedometer gauge is the same as this. After you have taken your picture to see where the needles need to point:

Get yourself a fork out of the kitchen drawers & CAREFULLY fit it underneath the needles and making sure you keep the leverage on the needles so you're pulling them vertically off the dial shafts remove the needles. You'll find some of them come off easier than others so be careful!

Once you've got the needles off you need a VERY FINE flat screwdriver to undo the dial removing screws on the face of the dial. Be careful not to scratch the screws too much by using the wrong sized screwdriver as you'll have to look at your mistakes every time you drive the car!! A few scratches can be touched up with a Black Marker!

Once you've undone the screws, remove the dial face then re-fit the new one and then re-assemble in reverse order!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New BRIGHT ORANGE OE Dial Replica's

Next we'll do the FUEL, OIL & TEMPERATURE GAUGES.

To sucessfully replace these dials you need to remove each one individually from the clock housing. Each dial is held in by three small copper 6.5mm nuts and copper washers. Carefully undo the nuts and make sure that the washer's don't make a run for the floor as they have a habit of doing!! You can see the three nuts that hold in each small dial here:

Once you've un-done the three nuts you will find that the individual dials come out of the dash surround pretty easily:

MAKE SURE YOU take a picture of the dial to remember where the needle goes at this point!! Remove the needle using the same Magic Fork Method as mentioned above. Now comes the real Fun Part

To enable you to change the dial faces on these small dials you need to remove these pesky rivets:

I've found that the best method of doing this is to get yourself a pair of GOOD long nosed pliers!

First of all place one tooth of the pliers on the underneath of the rivet then the other tooth of the pliers beside the head of the rivet BUT NOT ON THE HEAD, therefore allowing you to squeeze the pliers and slightly push the head of the rivet out of the dial housing:

Once you've got the head of the rivet off from the front of the dial face get your long nosed pliers gripped around the head of the rivet and pull the rivet out WHILST TWISTING THE PLIERS AND THE RIVET IN AN ANTI-CLOCKWISE direction!! You'll see when you remove the first rivet that you have to work with the "thread" on the rivet to remove it.

Once both rivets are out you can then re-fit the new dial face and then just re-fit the rivets into the housings by squeezing them back into the housing with the pliers but this time putting one of pliers teeth onto the head of the rivet.

Repeat this action for the other two small dials & then you're done.

Final step is to just stand back & admire your handywork!!!
    Last edited by Big Steve - Raider; 09-07-2010 at 22:22. Reason: Spelling Mistakes

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Orange OE Dial Replicas Fitting Guide

This is what you get in the latest dials kit packet, as featured in the above posts:

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Orange OE Dial Replicas Fitting Guide