Post Thanks / Like

Puncture sealant stuff

I have a slow puncture on the rear of my motorbike tyre which means I have to top it up with air every couple of days or so, there's loads of tread left on it and it seems a shame to ditch it as it's a nice tyre to ride on... in the dry.

Is there any stuff that you can spray into the tyre via the valve to seal up any tiny holes that may be there? Obviously this won't be a permanent fix because eventually I will buy a new tyre, but if there's something to tide we over for a few weeks that would be great!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puncture sealant stuff

Would it not be better to get it plugged ?
    There's a garage local to me who bond a rubber plug through the hole
    try asking around

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy tyre sealant but most recommend that it's used for only a short period and at limited speeds. Four wheels I might use in a bind, on two wheels never, I wouldn't take the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends where the puncture is in the tyre. Your best bet is to take it into a shop and see if they can patch it.

Personally, I wouldn't want a faulty tyre on a car, let alone on a bike. Either replace it or don't ride it.

Post Thanks / Like

tyreweld is awesome!!!!

fixed my puncture,i left it in the tyre & carried on for about a year & it stayed up!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the replies! I have already had it plugged but the garage obviously didn't do it right as it still goes down after a few days. I understand the comments about not using the bike but I know it's safe if I keep on top of it, and the roads are so small and uncongested it's not really as much a threat if I were on the mainland. I might try that tyreweld for the time being though, if it doesn't work i'll just buy a new tyre earlier than I anticipated.

Post Thanks / Like

you might find that if you use tyre weld they won't be interested in repairing it. It's horrible stuff that gets everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

that tyre weld is crap! I have to deal with it at work when custy's bring in a tyre that still goes down after theyv put the crap in it. And even if it does seal the hole ok it will put the tyre out of balance!

just stay away from it, get the tyre checked out and it can normally be pluged providing it hasnt been run flat and took out the sidewall or the hole isnt in the sidewall, or close to

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    you might find that if you use tyre weld they won't be interested in repairing it. It's horrible stuff that gets everywhere.

yep.. the only wheel i ever washed that stuff out of was a bentley tyre but they are over £500 a corner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    that tyre weld is crap! I have to deal with it at work when custy's bring in a tyre that still goes down after theyv put the crap in it. And even if it does seal the hole ok it will put the tyre out of balance!

just stay away from it, get the tyre checked out and it can normally be pluged providing it hasnt been run flat and took out the sidewall or the hole isnt in the sidewall, or close to
    Ok, that's put me off good and proper if it throws out the balance of the wheel! I'm gonna buy one of these then next month http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.a...rl=Pilot-Activ Until then I'll just keep the bugger topped up with air.

Post Thanks / Like

try taking the wheel off and chucking it in your bath . it might upset the misses . but at least youl know exactly were its loosing pressure

oh forgot to say use some of the misses bubble bath that realy shows up were the leack is

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always doing stuff like that. Nuts and bolts in degreaser in tumblers, Ali bits in the dishwasher. If only she knew. lol