Post Thanks / Like

honing liners

if im replacing piston rings should i hone the liners? if so whats a good kit to buy.
    Last edited by car.crash; 06-06-2009 at 16:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: honing liners

only if the liners are damaged, have them inspected or look your self if you are ok with that, and if theres damage then do so,

im talking about a 125cc,when i say that my motor factors do a honing tool thats self tensioning and leveling, as the arms are on spring joints,
    just like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-DRAPER-CYL...3A1%7C294%3A50
    this did a realy good job pretty much as good as a bike tuning shop.
    tho this tool is for cars but can say it left a good surface

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you want to aleast key the lines up if your replacing the rings so the rings have something to bed into, they never do on smooth liners.

If you have to hone them to remove damage have a measure up and see if its worth it, go too far and your piston will be slapping about in there.

Post Thanks / Like

there is no liner damage, just fitting new rings whilst its apart. what type of honer should i get and how do i use it?

Post Thanks / Like

one one shown above is a good tool, used it twice since owning it and its good, id just key the liner, as said above and if theres no damage just mark the surface with the tool, which should let the new rings make its own marks and run in to the liner better,
    bit like putting new pads on old discs. pads dont last long as they have no time to bed in!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE= how do i use it?[/QUOTE]

Haven't looked at link to tool but from description it sounds as thought it's a three armed jobby with each arm having an abrasive pad on. As with all steps of a rebuild plenty of oil is required during the process, the tool fits in a drill chuck, ideal one what can be set to a low speed as it doesn't need to be whizzing it's nuts off, it's then a case of compressing the arms and sliding it inside the liners, again with plenty of oil set the drill going and with a steady in out action move the honer all the from the top and bottom of the liner, what you're looking for is a criss crossed diamond pattern to be left.

Other types of honing tools are available, looks like a Christmas tree but on each "branch" is a abrasive ball, again use this with plenty of oil and in the same way as above, this is probably better for your application as it's for de glazing the bores where as the other is used to remove scoring/damage
    Last edited by TNT Tricky Nicky; 06-06-2009 at 22:09. Reason: iPhone changed the words!