Post Thanks / Like

teething problems please help a noobie

Well this is my first turbo car , it is a R5 gt , running standard boost/fueling and on a t2, (10psi) I am finding the car struggles to idle (ive set mixture 2 1/2 turns out) and idle to about 1.5k for the moment. Once moving and boosting the car does not smoke etc, however when left to idle (with help from myself and the pedal) it smokes on when the turbo first comes in.

ok now the second problem may not be a problem but just me learning to drive the car propelly but basically if im sat at around 4th with the revs at about 3k so the turbo is just spooling i can feel the car pulling, however when the loud pedal is pushed more he turbo speeds up the eghaust note gets louder however i dont feel the car pull anymore. Sorry about my bad explanation of this but just trying to get the idea of these cars.

any advice with the above would be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: teething problems please help a noobie

What colour smoke?

Could try giving the idle jet (behind the big brass screw, offside side of carb) a good clear out to see if that helps the idle.

Second problem could be a slipping clutch (do the revs rise but the speedo doesn't?), or a boost leak - You'd need to measure the boost at turbo outlet & compare with what you're getting at the carb top or manifold. Expect to see a couple of psi drop at the carb top, and another 3 or so psi drop through the carb if measuring boost from the manifold.

Post Thanks / Like

ermm , im not to sure on the colour of the smoke, i only really noticed it badly when a car behind me with hids on pulled up.

Ill give the idle jet a clean out and see what it does, it appears the car now requires a quick press of the acc pedal when cranking to start where as before it didnt.

As for the slipping clutch if im honest i havnt been out enough to check propelly but i will check. As for the boost you say measure it at the turbo outlet ? how exactly do i do this.

Boost at carb base was 09/10psi, Boost at carb top again seemed to be 10psi.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the exhaust note changes how? sound like a n.a car? ive had my actuator really slack before and it sounded n.a maybe this isnt the note youre describing though.

Post Thanks / Like

well the exhaust note changes from being a low pitched hum to a louder dull pitch, so basically just the noise gets louder is probably be easier.. its kinda hard to explain.

Post Thanks / Like

The words "knackered turbo" spring to mind in regards to the smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac trasher - Nick View Post
    The words "knackered turbo" spring to mind in regards to the smoke.

Yeah, i said that but hes convimced the turbo is good.

I then said spring too weak in actuator. Once thats tested we can move on.

Im getting the feeling though this could be due to may a back pressure isssue?

What would happen if there was no back pressure? ie say the exzaust has come away from the manifold? or maybe the pipe underneath the car has drifted loose?

( I dont want any comments on the bodge exhaust Job i did last year )

Lol

Post Thanks / Like

to diagnose the engine symptoms you need to determain the colour of the smoke that may help us point you in the right direction mate. turbos do have a habbit of smoking on idle or as you let off the throttle when driving sometimes you see a puff if the turbo is on its way out.