Post Thanks / Like

Grill mount intercooler

Just wondered if many ppl are running such a setup and weather it works well, do you notice any diff in running temperatures with part of the rad bin covered?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grill mount intercooler

I did years ago now on my old 5. I could fit the oe grill in situ it would stick out at top by a few more mm but not enough to catch on bonnet or look odd. Seemed to work well never noticed any temp problem's I have a gap between the intercooler and rad of about 5mm, I also ran an external oil cooler aswell behind the bumper lower slats just out of the way of the bottom part of the rad ( I later put oil cooler in place of drivers side foglight)

Last edited by James5; 09-05-2013 at 08:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for pics mate that's great, the cooler I'm thinking of using is smaller than that so should fit ok, how did u find running temps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Cheers for pics mate that's great, the cooler I'm thinking of using is smaller than that so should fit ok, how did u find running temps?
    never had any running temp problem's at all I ran the low temp stat and fan switch and even after a thrashing in the warm weather temps stayed good.

Pic with grill on

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate thanks for that, ill be using 2inch pipe work I think, did you have to move the rad back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I did years ago now on my old 5. I could fit the oe grill in situ it would stick out at top by a few more mm but not enough to catch on bonnet or look odd. Seemed to work well never noticed any temp problem's I have a gap between the intercooler and rad of about 5mm, I also ran an external oil cooler aswell behind the bumper lower slats just out of the way of the bottom part of the rad ( I later put oil cooler in place of drivers side foglight)

That's a JRP car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    That's a JRP car
    That one is indeed matey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Nice one mate thanks for that, ill be using 2inch pipe work I think, did you have to move the rad back?

Yeah I had to bodge the rad back a 5-6 mm at the top I first off bodged a couple of metal straight bar's to move rad back worked fine just didn't look to good so I got Pro Alloy to send me the alloy top bracket they used for there grill mount kit a little bit of moddying and it worked perfect and looked better