Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what petrol do use use

Hi I'm pretty new to the Renault 5 and I was wondering what petrol use are all using, for the last few weeks I've been using super unleaded, but don't know if I should be using a additive aswell, its a 1990 g plate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what petrol do use use

I am probably wrong but I use normal unleaded. I try to use super now and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used tesco 99 ron for years. Any super unleaded is fine, no additives needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimax / Vpower, I've heard good things about Tesco VPower but sadly where I live there isn't a tesco filling station, i have to travel a bit further to fill the jerry can with shell lol

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimax/V Power most of time, or super unleaded if cant find a Shell. Only use normal unleaded in an emergency as last time i did developed a misfire

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

95 RON. No point in using anything higher unless you're right on the limit of det..........

Post Thanks / Like

Shell v power but I am nearing 2bar boost now bot worth risking det. Standard set up normal un-leadded is fine

Post Thanks / Like

Very good question...

I have been told (by my uncle who is an old skool mechanic) that 95 ron petrol is what the R5 needs as it’s an old engine.

I use to use super unleaded, Shell V-Power (99 ron) , BP Ultimate (97 ron) , Tesco Movement? (99 ron), esso super (99 ron), etc... but with fuel prices these days (See below for contradiction) I switched to normal unleaded 95 ron.

Personally I do not notice a difference ! I lie, she is a little more responsive and I seem to get better fuel economy from Super Unleaded. Oh I also read that the higher the ron fuel, the less chance you get of "pinking".

Can this be proven???
    I.E. fill a car with normal 95 ron and do a power run, check results? Fill with Super unleaded 99 ron and do another power run? Compare figures... Has anyone done this? I heard that BP tried this when they use to supply 102 ron fuel, to prove that 102 ron gives you more power than normal unleaded.

FUEL PRICES... Unleaded 95 ron cost 1.35ppl, super unleaded 99 ron cost about 5pence more, so let’s say 1.40ppl.
    Full tank with 95 ron : 1.35 * 40litres = £54
    Full tank with 99 ron: 1.40 * 40litres = £56

Assuming that Super unleaded makes a positive difference (physiologically or physically), its only £2 more per full tank, that cheaper than a coffee

http://www.petrolprices.com/ - Very useful, The pump I pass in High Wycombe usually does there Super Unleaded at the same price as normal Petrol pumps so there unleaded! And I’m still a tight a$$...

Post Thanks / Like

vpower or tesco 99 ron. I think vpower is pretty reasonably priced?

Post Thanks / Like

You can use 95 ron, it all depends on how your engine responds. I personally used to hear a bit of pinking on 95 so have never used it since, why risk damaging something to save a few £££. If power is your goal you should be using super.

Post Thanks / Like

just put 95 in mine over here but go mad with the nector over europe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romil Davda View Post
    Very good question...

I have been told (by my uncle who is an old skool mechanic) that 95 ron petrol is what the R5 needs as it’s an old engine.
    Hmmm.

The gtt was designed to run on Leaded Four Star, which hasn't been available for years. It's a shame, as they run so much better on that, than any unleaded that's available ime

As long as you're not running crazy boost/very advanced timing they'll usually run happily on 95 ron unleaded, but I always run SUL just to be on the safe side (I prefer ESSO 97 ron in gtt's). I very much doubt you'll notice a power difference between the two - It's just the higher the ron rating, the more resistance to det'.

Gtt's being the 'individual' cars that they are, with their unique characters that we all love, all seem to prefer different fuel. Plenty of people run V Power, but my old 5 used to hate it, and run like a sack of crap

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great replies people I think I'll stick with the super unleaded as the car seams to be running fine on it so far, I've got experience with pinking as my Subaru only runs on tesco 99 or vpower but this is only as its been mapped for this with the Renault being older I wasn't sure

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking earlier today about 4star on this thread. I think when I get into a new 5 soon I'll be treating it to a tank full every now and then as luck has it there is a small garage that sells it in chipperfield/sarrat-herfordshire.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    I was thinking earlier today about 4star on this thread. I think when I get into a new 5 soon I'll be treating it to a tank full every now and then as luck has it there is a small garage that sells it in chipperfield/sarrat-herfordshire.
    Richard, there is also the old Ford garage in Marlow that sells it which is also close, very expensive though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    95 RON. No point in using anything higher unless you're right on the limit of det..........
    Hook, line, sinker. Period

Post Thanks / Like

Very good question...

I use to use super unleaded, Shell V-Power (99 ron) , BP Ultimate (97 ron) , Tesco Movement? (99 ron), esso super (99 ron), etc... but with fuel prices these days (See below for contradiction) I switched to normal unleaded 95 ron.

Personally I do not notice a difference ! I lie, she is a little more responsive and I seem to get better fuel economy from Super Unleaded. Oh I also read that the higher the ron fuel, the less chance you get of "pinking".

Can this be proven???
    I.E. fill a car with normal 95 ron and do a power run, check results? Fill with Super unleaded 99 ron and do another power run? Compare figures... Has anyone done this? I heard that BP tried this when they use to supply 102 ron fuel, to prove that 102 ron gives you more power than normal unleaded.

I watched a 5th gear years ago they ran 3 cars back to back on a dyno with reg and super unleaded, cars where if i remember a focus a vectra or something that size and a scooby, the first two car it made no difference whats so ever and the scooby upped its bhp by around 10 if i remember.

I used to run my evos on v power that was a given, my renault 5 also gets the same, but my mini coop s get a mix realy. Like said above in a slightly modded car i would not pay the extra £££s

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the cheapest fuel i can.... Unless I am going a track day or pod, then it gets tesco ultimate of shell V etc.

For the works diesel I always try & get Shell Performance diesel (but only because i dont pay for it )

Post Thanks / Like

The last 4 tanks of fuel ive had have been 4 star leaded, they sell it in Somerset in the TA9 region. The car seems to have a noticable smoothness when run on this. You can definately tell that there is some kind of difference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post
    The last 4 tanks of fuel ive had have been 4 star leaded, they sell it in Somerset in the TA9 region. The car seems to have a noticable smoothness when run on this. You can definately tell that there is some kind of difference
    WOW 4 star petrol, makes me feel old!

What the damage on this per litre?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW 4 star petrol, makes me feel old!

What the damage on this per litre?
    Me too, old skool though isnt it, people sometimes forget what it was designed to run on.

£1.66 per litre last time i used it. Its on the A39 between Bridgwater and Minehead in the West Country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shane P View Post

On my way to uni on the A64 to Scarborough I used to fill up with a tank of leaded, remember it was 99.9p a litre and that was expensive in 2001. only way i can remember that is that all the numbers on the board where 9.

Did think it ran smoother but that maybe simply due to the higher octane maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

ps did run her on 102 Shell and 107ron BP fuel over in Germany

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brizza View Post
    ps did run her on 102 Shell and 107ron BP fuel over in Germany
    107ron BP!!! Any differance?

What ron is 4 star?

Post Thanks / Like

107ron BP!!! Any differance?

What ron is 4 star?

pointless unless you adjust the timing to make the most of it surely? I was going to adjust the timing when i went on the ring and advance it a bit to make the most of the extra octane, but due to not being allowed on because of noise it never happened....

isnt leaded 97-98 ron?