Post Thanks / Like

Cd repair

The xbox got knocked over this evening with black opps in not sure if its true or not but a friend said if i still have the reciept i can send it bk to the manufactures and they will replace it with a discounted replacment.. can anyone shed any light on the truth in this?
    minty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cd repair

Is the CD scratched? does it still work on other games (the xbox) ? if so i think game does repairs to get rid of scratches off the surface of the disk as the info on it is buried deep in the disk and would be very hard to permanently damage the disk...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minty83 View Post
    The xbox got knocked over this evening with black opps in not sure if its true or not but a friend said if i still have the reciept i can send it bk to the manufactures and they will replace it with a discounted replacment.. can anyone shed any light on the truth in this?
    minty
    I think he is talking about the machine, are you talking about the player or disc?

Player can be sent back for fixed price repair

Disc, basically if not too bad it can be repaired, scratches can be polished out/filled in much the same way as your car paintwork. I don't think you will find anyone who will swop a disc damaged by yourself unless you lie.

Post Thanks / Like

im on about the actual disk.. doesnt look to deep so fingers crossed.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Disc, basically if not too bad it can be repaired, scratches can be polished out/filled in much the same way as your car paintwork.
    Indeed.

The data is stored on the shiny bit you can see when you turn the disc over, which is printed underneath the label on the top - as decribed here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd1.htm.

When you scratch a disc, you just need to get the clear plastic smooth to make it work again. I've fixed CD's in the past using metal polish, but I would imagine most polishes will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Most game shops will repair the cd for a few quid, they skim the disc slightly. I had to get my old mw2 done after doing the same, think it was at grainger games.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

we do the old buy a new one, take it back an hour later saying it doesn't work from asda etc.. often its some bird that just swaps it with only a glance to see theres a disk present..

worth a punt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Indeed.

The data is stored on the shiny bit you can see when you turn the disc over, which is printed underneath the label on the top - as decribed here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd1.htm.

When you scratch a disc, you just need to get the clear plastic smooth to make it work again. I've fixed CD's in the past using metal polish, but I would imagine most polishes will work.
    Not alot of people actually realise that, well from my experience anyhow but as suggested just polish the disc (car polisher or even take it to the jewellers get it on the watch buffer).

Post Thanks / Like

I did that with my mop on my grand theft auto, bit of compound, g3 and bobs your mothers uncle