Post Thanks / Like

wheel bearing play

hi all
    i have front end up on stands with drive shafts out, should there be much play on the wheels like this?
    i am able to rock it a little bit and there is a slight "thud" when i do, but when car was driven it was ok with no droning,

just wondering if this is pretty normal or if i should be sticking new bearings in while its in bits

btw, there was no brake disc or calipers on when i did this, just wheel bolted on to stub axle, to wheel it about.........

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheel bearing play

get the car all together and try again, something might have been loose causing it... im sure i could make my steering rack clunk a little if i do a 9oclock to 3 oclock wiggle on the wheel, try a 12 and 6 wiggle and a spinny spin to see if you can hear something..

if not dont worry, when there propper fecked you'll know about it

they do wear, i had 15's on and they started to whine but on 13's it went away so i was happy.. worn doesn't always mean worn out my 5's never go far so i wouldn't sh1t the bed over it..

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks

i figured with drive shafts and brake discs/ pads on it would stop the play but didnt know if there sould be any as it is at moment, wheel spins freely enough

is it much of a feck about to swap as i already have it in bits? its only £25 for a pair but if its a pain i dont know if i can be arsed

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boysie View Post
    ok thanks

i figured with drive shafts and brake discs/ pads on it would stop the play but didnt know if there sould be any as it is at moment, wheel spins freely enough

is it much of a feck about to swap as i already have it in bits? its only £25 for a pair but if its a pain i dont know if i can be arsed
    to change the bearing you need to remove the hub unit and press out the wheel hub face, then press out the bearing.. a garage will do it, i was lucky enough to have BigDanC on here swing by and do mine..

not really hard but if your gonna do the tracking on your car or something make sure everythings up to scratch or your pi55ing in the wind..

Post Thanks / Like

The driveshaft helps hold the bearing together. bolt the driveshaft on and try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

mine were loose when i took the drive shafts off but like tony said when they went back it all tightened back up and all was fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    The driveshaft helps hold the bearing together. bolt the driveshaft on and try it again.
    ahh right, never thought of that yea that makes sense, i will check it with shaft on and hopefully that will be one less job