Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

car wont turn off

ive been trying to sort an oil leek out on the car. Hopefully thats sorted.

But now for sum reason the car wont turn off from with the key. Is there anyway i can check if the barrel is faulty? I cant see it being this tho as the car starts with the key fine.

The only other thing i have changed is that my rev gauge was never working. And the white wire at the aei for the gauge was cut and the wire was joint to anoter wire going back into the car instead of actually going to the aei. I have joint the wire to the aei instead, not sure if this could be the cause? What is that wires job?

Any help or ideas much appreciated as stalling the car is not ideal thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: car wont turn off

From what a can remember there are 3 wires on the AEI.

From memory. Black 0v
    Yellow +12v from ignition barrel
    White??? Output to fuel pump relay and rev counter.

The only way the car can carry on running with the ignition key off is by supplying +12v to the yellow wire from a permanent live.

I would disconnect that wire you have connected and see if it sorts the fault out!

Did the rev counter work when you connected that wire up??

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

i rigged my my alternator wrong once and caused this, after cutting the power by removing the key it was clearly still seeing a voltage across the ignition system.. i spotted my mistake quickly

if its only just come to light after tinkering its more than likely something silly, and more unlikely anyone can tell you whats wrong without give the car a look over..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i rekon if i took the wire off it should sort it. Will give it a go later. Yes rhe rev gauge worked after i connected the wire to the aei.

I have also noticed that on the drivers side footwell there is an ignition live hooked up to a green wire that goes into the rear loom. Im thinking maybe this is going to the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i rekon if i took the wire off it should sort it. Will give it a go later. Yes rhe rev gauge worked after i connected the wire to the aei.

I have also noticed that on the drivers side footwell there is an ignition live hooked up to a green wire that goes into the rear loom. Im thinking maybe this is going to the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Used to be a common problem at renault, the alternator wiring causing the engine to carry on running. its a weird system all earthing via the alternator.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have disconnected the white wire for the rev counter and the car now switches of by the key again. It definatley looks like there is an ignition live going to the green wire on the fuel pump relay.

If the pump relay was dead and then wired like this would it make the car run? as im hoping this to be an easy fix. And not have to get into alternator wireing etc Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom t View Post
    i have disconnected the white wire for the rev counter and the car now switches of by the key again. It definatley looks like there is an ignition live going to the green wire on the fuel pump relay.

If the pump relay was dead and then wired like this would it make the car run? as im hoping this to be an easy fix. And not have to get into alternator wireing etc Cheers
    I would have said that in the past the fuel pump has died due to the relay being faulty and someone instead of repairing it properly they have fed a ignition live straight to the pump, Something to check, does the fuel pump run when the ignition is on but the engine not running? Im thinking that the somehow that white wire is feeding the ignition circuit when you turn the key off and it must be the rpm output from the AEI thats feeding it, How very random, Its like a self latching circuit and once you feed it power you cant kill it unless you stall the engine and kill the rpm output Wow how exciting

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

that does make sense and the sort of thing i was thinking but wouldnt have know how to try and explain it. And i also wouldnt have a clue how to try and rectify it, if that is the case.

Yep the fuel pump definatley runs when the ignition is on and the engine is off. And it defiatley isnt the reserve pump. Any more help would be greatly appreciated as id like to get it back to normal. Thanks