Post Thanks / Like

Paint info

I just wondered if this type of paint (matt blue) is easily available & if poss some codes? I believe its similar to the lambo blue.

Last edited by Misky; 12-11-2009 at 15:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint info

my friend did a bmw e30 recently in matt green and said all matt colours are easily available, gota say that blues not very nice though.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate!
    Suppose its personal preference. I was thinking either that or dark grey.
    But then couldn't i just use primer??

Post Thanks / Like

I think like a battleship straight grey would be nice, like the colour of that twin engined r5.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt and satin finishes can look good if done right, although can be quite hard to keep looking good and not the sort of thing you want to try outside a spray booth though as it requires a gun finish where no nibbing and polishing can take place. You could do it two ways add the matting agent to a straight 2k colour or base it up in blue then add the matting agent to the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Or get 16 rattle cans and give it a proper RAT look
    Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  36.6 KB

I would love to have it done professionally but can't afford it .... spending on go , not show .....

Post Thanks / Like

That look like a good finish from the rattle cans Clee
    And I'd say the blue on the golf is amazing, it'd look great on a retro car too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Matt and satin finishes can look good if done right, although can be quite hard to keep looking good and not the sort of thing you want to try outside a spray booth though as it requires a gun finish where no nibbing and polishing can take place. You could do it two ways add the matting agent to a straight 2k colour or base it up in blue then add the matting agent to the clear coat.
    Some good info there thanks!
    I did some searching last night and found the matt blue i like, 2lt when thinned so plenty there. Obv i will be using a compressor, I just fancy doing it myself I have paid for resprays in the past and had a go a few times myself with good results.

Just a couple of concerns

1) plastic trims - Will the matt take and paint over like primer of just flake off?

2) general prep? the car need a rub down or will the paint take?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misky View Post
    Some good info there thanks!
    I did some searching last night and found the matt blue i like, 2lt when thinned so plenty there. Obv i will be using a compressor, I just fancy doing it myself I have paid for resprays in the past and had a go a few times myself with good results.

Just a couple of concerns

1) plastic trims - Will the matt take and paint over like primer of just flake off?

2) general prep? the car need a rub down or will the paint take?

1. Any plastic trim will need to be preped with some scotch then a suitable plastic adhesion promotor/primer other wise it will flake off.

2. Everything will need rubbing down/preping if you have a d.a sander you could machine sand it all with 400/500 then scotch the edges or if you want to prep it properly wet sand the whole car with 800 grade plus. Personally I like to block everything with 600 and then finsh on 1000/1200.

3. Try to concentrate on keeping things clean, wash everything down with clean water. Clean clean and then clean some more before you get the spray gun out.