Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn turbo's

Dont shoot me down folks asi dont know much about turbo's lol. I took my clio gtt out just there for a wee run.

I dont know if its the turbo thats gone or not ..but its a high pitched whine coming from it on boost. Ive no idea what ive done ..at first i thought it was a boost hose thats come off..so checked all connections ..all seemed fine.

There is no smoke coming out the back also. What could it be?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damn turbo's

Same thing happened to me on my first five, the vacuum pipe popped off and the turbo boosted too high. Then every time I boosted after that there would be a whining noise when it was spooling up. There was no smoke from the turbo but it was definitely knackered.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm ..so how long did it last after that? ...it still boosts ok which is weird ..just the noise is annoying

Post Thanks / Like

Check you haven't got a split hose or a hole in one, had an annoying noise like that years ago ended up being small hole and the noise was the air being pushed through it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Check you haven't got a split hose or a hole in one, had an annoying noise like that years ago ended up being small hole and the noise was the air being pushed through it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have a check when it aint pissing it down ...im from glasgow ...so i dont know when that will be.

Thanks for the comments folks ..i will let you know when or if i sort the problem

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ..ive decided my car is now bloody herbie ...i had my Forge FMIC running up front with a mix of pipes and joins ..so decided to take it off ..and run a straight pipe from carb lobster to the turbo. My cars running standard boost so i thought it would be alright. The noise has gone!!

I then came to another problem ...its cutting out at junctions now ...i was then parking it outside my house and went to reverse it kept cutting out ..after i parked it ..i went out and looked and seen a nice puddle of oil. Annoying as we did an bottom end gasket change before putting the engine in after FCS's antics.

Yet another thing to sort when the rain goes off. Calling it a day today and going to sort the oil leak 2mora ...Oh the joys

Someone remind me why we love these engines ...i kno ...its that gtt burble

Post Thanks / Like

So you ran the car with no intercooler at all for how many miles? The air intake temps would be through the roof! You didn't give it death did you?! That oil puddle might be more sinister than you think.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol ive been running a FMIC untill today ...i only swapped it over to see if it was due to my pipework .

Just looked out ...oil dripping under it(the engine) ...a sheet of tarpolin has just been put under it

Post Thanks / Like

So have you driven it around at all without an intercooler?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only there tonight to see if the noise went away

Post Thanks / Like

It will be alreet for a short blast, not recommended though. I strapped & flapped an i/c years ago & the flap closed, didnt cause no damage but not ideal

Personally i would pressurise the boost cct with a compressor though so you can find the leak.

Post Thanks / Like

How far did you drive it dude? And I assume you will of being spooling up the turbo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I literally took it round the block to see if the noise went away. Could this be the case of my oil leak? as theres always been a slight oil leak anyway

Post Thanks / Like

As brigsy said round the block should be ok but not ideal, I wouldn't do it again!
    if the noise went away then you sound like you have an air leak in your front mount or pipe run. Block both ends of your pipe run then put a Hoover end in on side switch it on and see if you can hear any changes in pressure coming from your pipes or intercooler to find your leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Or if you have an air line of some sort do the same but blowing air into the boost circuit to expand the pipes instead of compressing them.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically dont drive it till ive got the front mount or the standard intercooler piped up then?

ill get the standard cooler fitted 2moro then as with my fmic i just used cut pipes and joiners as a temp measure...so ill wait till i can afford to get some pipes made up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass J View Post
    So basically dont drive it till ive got the front mount or the standard intercooler piped up then?

ill get the standard cooler fitted 2moro then as with my fmic i just used cut pipes and joiners as a temp measure...so ill wait till i can afford to get some pipes made up
    Yeah whatever you do don't run without some method of cooling the air from the turbo. Your method will probably be fine, you just need to find where the leak is coming from, could be just a jubilee clip isn't tight enough. I would persevere with your cut and shut method will save you alot of money instead of buying more pipes

Post Thanks / Like

Pah! I ran without an i/c for months. 18psi at times, and no problems

It was a bit colder at the time though, not the middle of "summer"

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol im starting to regret doing this conversion now ..what happened to the days of just jumping into my car and going a wee blast albeit a slow blast with my 1.2 ...all the same .

Ill tackle it on the next dry day ..the only plus side of having no job is time ..but no money

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

haha bill J ..thats near the same pipe run ive done ..18psi u say lol..dont worry about the heat etc ..its never warm up here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    Pah! I ran without an i/c for months. 18psi at times, and no problems

It was a bit colder at the time though, not the middle of "summer"

what was your reason for bypassing? Carb freeze? Because you could?!

Post Thanks / Like

i had this prob on my first t2 and the noise was caused by the turbo giving up the ghost boosted and ran fine just smoked now and then only noticed this when a bigger exhaust went on mate