Post Thanks / Like

Poor Running

Just been on a run tonight, parked up for a few minutes, then went back and started her up again and shes misfiring badly. on idle theres smoke coming from the exhaust but clears when revved or underload. when driving its constantly misfiring when being put under load

finally managed to get her home and checked all the obvious things like leads etc but they look ok

any suggestions, please help?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Running

Quote Originally Posted by FurioKid View Post
    Just been on a run tonight, parked up for a few minutes, then went back and started her up again and shes misfiring badly. on idle theres smoke coming from the exhaust but clears when revved or underload. when driving its constantly misfiring when being put under load

finally managed to get her home and checked all the obvious things like leads etc but they look ok

any suggestions, please help?!?!?
    what colour is the smoke is the carb mixture screw still in situ

Post Thanks / Like

The smokes a sort of bluey colour, and yeah the mixture screw was the first thing i checked lol. One other thing aswell is that it was running cooler on the temperature gauge, not as high as normal?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone?!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the rotor arm for wear. I managed to push the arm down so much when fitting that it has worn away the plastic and brass inserts causing it to run all over the place me and my strength! Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

So far i haven't taken anything apart, gonna strip it tonight and check it over but just wanted some ideas?

i can understand the smoke on idle as the engines not running right, but its why the temperature has dropped down?

gonna look at all the common things of plugs, leads and distributer tonight, but is there anything else to think of? Valves, rocker, turbo etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Feck knows with these engines. Just check all the basics like you said. Redo the valve clearences inlet .15 exhaust .20. Could be rear turbo oil seal. Whip turbo of and run it and check fumes for smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Check all earths you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check the distributer etc first and see first, then i'll check the turbo fins etc. I'll check the valve clearances aswell if nothing found. Yeah hadn't thought of earths so i'll see.

why would it run cooler though with the engine struggling/misfiring?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there water in the cooling system, remember the sensor in the water pump measure the temp of the water itself so no water you get very low reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Suspected head gasket fault? Whip the plugs out and have a look and see if there wet or not

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah checked the coolant last night and it was spot on :-S? I will whip the plugs out anyway to check them so i'll try and see if they're wet or anything

Post Thanks / Like

K thought i'd give a progress check, whipped the plugs out and they all seem ok, checked my clearances and a couple were a lil tight but nothing major.

only thing i have found is taken my induction hose off the turbo and found oil which has been getting through to the air filter of the induction kit. I know obviously if the turbo is oily it can cause the smoke, but could it cause the misfire?

i don't know where else to look?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have checked everything else on the car (leads, cap, rotor, etc) then do a compression check mate.

Have you got the standard oil beather pipe going into the airfilter hose still?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought but are your plugs in correct?
    One of mine wasnt seated correctly and that caused a missfire.

Post Thanks / Like

Are his leads correctly positioned?

Ie on the right plug coresponding to the dizzy.

You got a banana in ya tail pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah checked everything, found my rotor arm was loose and there was a tiny crack in the distributer, so replaced them, adjusted the valve clearances that were a bit out, taken all the plugs out and cleaned them.

took it for a run and it was smoking and still misfiring/tapping as i got off my drive, then all of a sudden when i pulled away and got into 2nd it cleared itself :-S. Brought it back and let it idle for a bit to cool down and it wasn't smoking or anything? I'll try it again either tonight or tomoz and see if its still ok?

bloody thing lol

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta love these cars . Are you running a filter for your turbo oil feed? Recomend it, could well be the turbo seal on the back end going due to swarf, could rear its ugly head again, only a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

no its just a straight through oil braided hose to the turbo, not running a filter. when at the minute its not smoking, but it could well do

went out a run last night and all was well until the mixture screw decided to blow out of the carb lol, luckily i was carrying a spare so popped it in, just need to get myself another cap to cover it

the engines still only done 650 miles and everythings still fresh so i suppose i should expect teething problems, but hopefully they'll become less frequent soon

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    You gotta love these cars .
    really? why?

although there ability to fix themselves does come in handy sometimes cus I can't always be arsed to fix it myself

Post Thanks / Like

K this is doing my head in now. Been running fine, then last night on my way home she started misfiring/chugging but stopped after getting past the first line of the temp gauge, then this morning did exactly the same after a left the house, but once again cleared once warmed up, however drove all the way to work and got approx 500yds away and she started misfiring/chugging again, parked up at work and she idles ok but misfire/chuggs when revved and is smoking again?

the temp has stayed at halfway the whole time and oil pressure seems fine :-(

please someone help i'm lost? Gonna have a look later but what is there to look for?

Post Thanks / Like

blocked breather? check everything is tight and no worn pipes etc.......aslo check carb for air leaks.....

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

pump jet O-ring is leaking fuel into the venturi!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    pump jet O-ring is leaking fuel into the venturi!
    To check this I think you can take the carb top off and see if the fuel flow is constant and smooth, if it dumps fuel every so often then this could be it by George

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers i'll have a looky and see, so if i take my carb lobster off, start her up and and see how much fuel is being flowed in?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurioKid View Post
    Cheers i'll have a looky and see, so if i take my carb lobster off, start her up and and see how much fuel is being flowed in?
    yeah pretty much. It should be constant flow if you see a trickle and then fuel dumped in, it hesitates on the extra fuel (i think).

Post Thanks / Like

Right just had a quick look on my lunch. Took the bonnet off and found the mixture screw had come come loose again and my rocker breather pipe had come off. Refitted them both and started her up but still the same just a bit better.

took the lobster off and worked the throttle linkage and fuel gets pumped in through the little pipe on the right (as you look from above) but when i start it up the fuel trickles through the pipe, then squirts smoothly when the throttle is worked?

should this be right? Please someone help as had enough of these problems now :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously i know that the pipe comes from the accelerator float chamber and hence why it squirts in when the linkage is worked, but should it trickle through every so often? Taken the carb top and checked inside the float chamber and everything appears to be working ok, put it bk on but it still appears to be the same.

any help is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

No fuel isn't meant to trickle through all the time when on idle, that sound like part of the problem cars being floading with the fuel trickling in.

Post Thanks / Like

Just done an emissions test and found its co2 is at 13.8 roughly on idle, is that normal? Gonna see about a carb refurb kit and try and sort the problem

Post Thanks / Like

K limped the car home with it chugging and misfiring and smoke coming from the exhaust, travelled about 10-12 miles, then without warning it cleared itself and was driving like a rocket again, i'm so so confused :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the carb needs a new seal under the emulsion tube. I've had this problem before and the symptoms sound like yours, i.e, fuel piddling in all the time, idle like crap, clears a bit when revved then comes back. Have you got a spare carb to try on it.

Post Thanks / Like

no its the one thing i haven't got a spare of and there isn't anyone really in my area that i can really borrow anything from, so looks like i'm gonna have to strip mine and rebuild it and hope that thats all the problem is.

i know i did the emissions earlier and the co2 was 13.8, but i did forget is that my downpipe is blowing slightly due to it being too small for the side exit, need to change get an enlarged one, but want the engine running sweet first

Post Thanks / Like

There's a fella up near Grimsby who I bought a 5 engine off a little while ago. He's got spares that he's selling off. He's got a carb on there now. Might take an offer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-gt-t...lenotsupported

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i did see that earlier but don't know what condition its in?! i've ordered a carb refurb kit, so as soon as that arrives i'll strip mine down and rebuild it, just hope thats the problem

Post Thanks / Like

Well with a CO reading of 13.8 mate you'd think it'd have to be squirting in the fuel and that's got to make it run like crap.