Post Thanks / Like

advice,.. what would you do ? , somebody crashed into back of gf

just after advice really.

Yesterday in the pouring rain my girlfriend was indicating left to pull into her drive in her ford ka, when a fiesta arse ended up.

The girl in the fiesta was 19 and admitted full fault on the scene, as she skidded in the poouring rain. The girl said she almost has 2 years no cliams and dosent want to go throuh insurance. I briefly looked at damage on the ka and it has scuffed rear bumper, broken brackets, and number plate.

Cheap fix i think, tell gf to nip to a bodyshop for a quote on new bumper etc fitted, forward bill onto the girl job done we are all happy.

Anyway i got a call a few min ago, gfs been to 2 bodyshops , the boot floor is bent and the rear panel and the quotes are £600+.

Now i have never been in a crash but am i right in saying if it goes through insurance than my gfs insurance company wont become involved and her no cliams are safe?

Will be a bit gutting as the car is tidy and will be wrote off.

She also nipped to the doctors who a quick check as has experianced some neck pains , and the doctor says shes pulled 2 ligaments and there will be some bruising before it gets better .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: advice,.. what would you do ? , somebody crashed into back of gf

You'll find some insurance companies will tell you where to go if you dont inform them of a claim within a certain amount of time after the incident.

Not sure how her company work, but when my neighbour drove into the back of one of my old cars, it went down as a 'no fault' claim on my insurance. They said it wouldnt affect my premiums, but whenever you get a quote for insurance they always ask you how many claims in the last 'x' years, regardless of fault.

Your call.

Post Thanks / Like

If it goes through insurance, you're correct in saying that your g/f won't lose any ncb as the fault onus is with the other driver.

Would they write a Ka off for a £600 repair? I guess it depends how old the car is/what it's valued at.

That makes no difference though if you don't go through the insurance co., as the other girl simply picks up the £600 bill from the garage, or gives you the folding before-hand, and your g/f gets to keep her car regardless.

If you wanted to be sh1tty about it, your g/f could always make a claim for her neck 'injuries' as well, but then you'd definitely have to go through the insurance co.

Post Thanks / Like

If its not her fault she should be fine =]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. so you're GF isn't going to claim if she has neck pains? Fair play.

As I believe - If you do go through insurance, and it is found to be the 19yo's fault, then it won't affect your GF's NCB, however, you will have to declare it when you next insure a car. It asks something along the lines of 'have you had an accident in the last 3 years, regardless of blame?', and it will increase your premium. A bit stupid if you ask me, because why should you pay a premium if an accident wasn't your fault / why should they even be concerned if you had an accident IF it was proven not to be your fault.

What sort of year is the car? Is it worth that much? Would it maybe not be worth just replacing the bumper, etc, and leaving the boot pan slightly crumpled if it's not worth an awful lot, and you plan to keep it for some time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    ...and leaving the boot pan slightly crumpled...
    You may find that causes you trouble come the next MOT (structural failure as such), plus you'd have trouble selling the car on for good money if a punter picks up on that crumple.

Post Thanks / Like

its an R reg ka, yea well thats what im thinking with regards to keeping the car with a damaged floor pan but im going to have a look later at just how bad it is. End of the day if the girl covers the cost of damage then i think my gfs happy, the neck injuries will apparnty heal and i dont believe she wants to ruin the girls ncb unless she has to. Ah well looks like ill take a gander at the damage tonight and see which way to take it. CAnt see the write off value for an R reg Ka being much though which is a shaem. Out of interest if her insurance company were to pay for the full car as a write off , do they go off my gfs insurance on the (car valued at section) or do they look at current prices off the cars etc and the book value.. just wondering like.

Post Thanks / Like

id claim, and itll be on other party insurance, i have two no claims made my insurance £70 more on the 5 non fault claim are literly pennys on top of insurance, i didnt declare my non fault for years, nothing legal that can come about as you didnt do any thing wrong, tho i would 100% claim mate dont even bother as if left long enoth they third party can say. na we agreed to settle out of court etc, and i gave you £500 cash

weres the proof, your then left having to prove you didnt recive it, a whole load of headache trust me

dont even bother not claiming,

them two pulled ligiments are at least few k plus the full price for the ka pre acciedent price etc

its totaly not worth it. i aint got time to explain now but ill pm you later

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do, make sure the injury is checked out properly. I still suffer from a 'minor' neck injury after a crash 7 years ago when some piss-head went into the back of me and skarpered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure the injury is checked out properly. I still suffer from a 'minor' neck injury after a head on crash into a wooden fence last National Day when some piss-head pushed me down a hill.

Post Thanks / Like

A fence? Dont remember that bit. injury must have been worse than I thought

Post Thanks / Like

I know two people who have been in this situation before.

Both times they trusted the other driver to sort it out without going the insurance route, and both times it ended badly.

You'd be amazed how the passage of time diminishes the desire to make right with some people.

Go insurance. Your G/F owes this other driver nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    You may find that causes you trouble come the next MOT (structural failure as such), plus you'd have trouble selling the car on for good money if a punter picks up on that crumple.
    Yep. Dependant on how bad it is

Post Thanks / Like

What Bill said.

HOWEVER.... is the bird fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    What Bill said.

HOWEVER.... is the bird fit?

LOL. But really.. is she?

Post Thanks / Like

ok , insurance i think its going to be, as previous question though, do they go off the value that my gf insured the car for on her own insurance or is that more if she went fully comp incase her own insurance has to pay out for her car in the event of an accident thats her fault?

As the other party and her mum were both very understanding would you make the call to explain that we have had to go through isnurance as the car is badly damaged.

also , nah the other girl wasnt fit, she stood out in the rain with makeup streaming.. not a pretty site

Post Thanks / Like

Shame. You could have come to some sort of 'arrangement'. Not that that would help your girlfriend. She could watch I suppose. I digress...

If you go through insurance, her insurance company will use the likes of Autotrader to find a value for the car. As its an old KA, FULLY expect them to write the car off... probably under a Cat D. HOWEVER... with the way insurance works, you're FULLY within your right to make them repair the vehicle. I had all this with my old 11. The nearest thing they found to it for sale was a 1.1 Renault 11 Rte or something... so they offred me £200. I kindly pointed out that insurance is there to ensure that the persona affected is returned to the same position pre-accident.

Post Thanks / Like

ok then, luckily kas seem to hold value amazingly well so it should be ok, I think its time to get the insurance company involved now then.. ohhh the joys.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust no-one when it comes to money, it's a shame as some people i'd really like to trust but having been on the recieving end a few times now I just go the propper channels now.

Post Thanks / Like

well shes making the calls to insurance now, hopefully it all moves forwards quite quickley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    ok , insurance i think its going to be, as previous question though, do they go off the value that my gf insured the car for on her own insurance or is that more if she went fully comp incase her own insurance has to pay out for her car in the event of an accident thats her fault?

As the other party and her mum were both very understanding would you make the call to explain that we have had to go through isnurance as the car is badly damaged.

also , nah the other girl wasnt fit, she stood out in the rain with makeup streaming.. not a pretty site
    whats the year mate, they work from the parkers guide on poor,avarage and good condition, they then take in to account the condition of the car, make sure lights work make sure brakes work etc etc say if its middle of the production year on a standard 1.3
    Original Price £6,495
    Franchised Dealer £1,730
    Independent Dealer £1,615
    Private Good £1,420
    Private Poor £1,010
    Part Exchange £1,140
    tell me what the year model and spec is

Post Thanks / Like

I got crashed into by another car and I dealt purely with their insurance company. I only told mine what had happened and as it was clearly not my fault I just went through their company. Took a while but they paid out.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

car is a

Light blue, ford ka, R reg , all lights etc are working , all tyres are good, condition wise it has spots of rust etc, but its all straight and true.. or was..

Bless the mrs has called her insurance company and now shes having to hang around on the phone and shes scared of saying the wrong thing..

Post Thanks / Like

bugger, only thing we have a worry on now is that on the gfs insurance the car is down as socia/leisure use as usally she jumps a lift to work, however on this occasion she was coming back from work as she had to do a late shift and they asked on the phone "what was the reason for the journey" and she said ocoming home from work... lets home that dosent send the claim down the pan

Post Thanks / Like

do it properly mate, if she aint hurt dont start claiming either. as insurance companies treat a personal injury claim as ''a claim'' even if its car insurance and not related... so my ex found out

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about this dude, and send my best wishes to sarah for getting better

anyways report the crime and claim off the other persons insurance, its a bitch of world and id rather bite than be bitten

Post Thanks / Like

hehe yea man , shes cool , shes aching a bit but shes aight, shes just stressed more than anything, she hates forms and the formal world and making calls and all the rest of it and i think its all just a bit stressfull for her at the min, plus i think shes scared at upsetting the other girls family as they only like down the road, but at the end of the day i guess insurance is tehre for a reason. Just hope she gets a payout that will enable her to get another ka in good condition etc

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My lass had some chavy boy racer drive into the back of her she was 30wks pregnant at the time and so was his g/f who was in the car with him. My g/f also had her sister and her 8mth old nephew in the car at the time. I f her sister hadnt over reacted slightly and insist that they all went to the hospital, then my g/f would be without a car as it was a write off and no one would have picked up on the cracked rib she ended up with, plus both of them were £1650 better off and she got a better car aswell.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an identical situation my sisters Ka, didn't look like much damage just part of the bumper was scuffed and crumpled in a bit. Further inspection revealed it had bent the boot floor, the insurance wrote that off and that was a mint 52 registration.

It got replaced with an 04 registration Ka 7 weeks ago, which got wrote off last Sunday when some pratt went through a red light at a junction and hit the front o/s corner of her car span it around and it ended up on the pavement luckily some bollards stopped it going through a shop window! The thing that has wound me up the most is the fact the driver of the other car was a big fat mess who was on crutches and it took him the best part of 5 minutes to walk 10 metres to the recovery truck. If your feet/legs are that bad to walk on then you most certainly shouldn't be using to control the foot pedals of a car.

Anyway rant over, hope you get it all sorted out, I'd go through her insurance rather than deal with her directly, I'm positive that it will end up being a write off anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

my friend who works a lot in insurance approved based bodywork said.. never accept the first two offers.. anybody else has experiance of this,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5GTTRaider View Post
    dont even bother not claiming,
    Perhaps there are some honest people in the world that would stump up the money straight away to avoid going down the insurance route.

That was certainly the case when someone rear-ended my gtt a few weeks back - She coughed up the money the following night, cash in hand.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - If you know the home address of the other party involved, it gives you the upper hand straight away, as they're unlikely to mess you around given you know where they live.

Alternatively, as said right from the start, go through your insurance company, but expect a drawn-out process before you start to see any money etc.

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

if you go thru insurance and your cover is nearly up, you will have a pending claim. which will put your next years premium up until its all settled.

Post Thanks / Like

we went throuugh insurance in the end, reason being the damage was to bad to really put a price to other than simply saying .. new car.... The mrs is in some pain today in her lower back moanin like an old woman .. bless..

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it as ive never been in a accident myself so wasnt really sure on the best way to go about it.