Post Thanks / Like

broke down

Wel the hunting problems on idle pointed out in previous thread (https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7389) were not solved after fully stripping down and rebuilding the carb whilst cleaning and blowing it all out with the air line..

Later on in the night i decided to nip down to pizzaria, the car felt a bit jerky, like a random possible missfire on the way down, after pulling up and turning it off, purchasing a tasty pizza and getting back in the car would not start, just constant cranking, checked the plugs for spark and found nothing, then removed the king lead from the dizzy and still no spark.

After getting towed home im left thinking could it be either the TDC sensor , or could the aei unit be pooped, also how do i go about checkign these, i would swap the tdc sensor but ive not got another one to try on it :S..

Gutted aswell as i think its going to be a case of lifts to work again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: broke down

see if kenobi can help you out im sure he's got a few spares kicking about to eliminate

Post Thanks / Like

you need to check you got ignition live power to the aei unit as a starting point. check the yellow and back wire on the plug for 12v.

if you have power try a known working aei unit.

if no luck with that try tdc lead

Post Thanks / Like

well just nipped out, ive got around 0.19 amps across the yellow and black with igntion on so im guessing thats all good, i believe all smiles is going to pic me up a tdc sensor tomorrow on his trips around brum so will have to see what that does, damn i hope when this cars running sweeeter its all worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Check if you got 12v's to the AEI unit mate.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 11.6v across the yellow and black wires.

, 12.1 when measured directly from the battery.

Guessing thats close enough to 12v

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah sounds close enough mate so it has power, try the TDC mate like i said and see if that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

will do man, got allsmiles going to try and get me one tomorrow from birmingham. Thanks for the help man.

its seems the main things im missing are the rooks of spares you guys all seem to have..!

Post Thanks / Like

its seems the main things im missing are the rooks of spares you guys all seem to have..![/quote]

dont worry that will start to build up one day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    will do man, got allsmiles going to try and get me one tomorrow from birmingham. Thanks for the help man.

its seems the main things im missing are the rooks of spares you guys all seem to have..!
    so whos allsmiles then lol!

im on the case dude, see u tomo

ps my memory reminds me that i too had a problem which sounds exactly like yours, it was the tdc in the end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    so whos allsmiles then lol!

im on the case dude, see u tomo

ps my memory reminds me that i too had a problem which sounds exactly like yours, it was the tdc in the end
    haha damn you , and your diffrent usernames on diffrent boards :P Thanks for sorting that alex

Post Thanks / Like

poo , not got this problem sorted yet.. anybody know if gsf should hold this part in stock ?.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got one. Can sort you out 2moz dude.

Post Thanks / Like

I told ya so

Post Thanks / Like

lol @ u did indeed but its not 100% if its a working unit as of yet, however it would be cool if i could grab one tomorrow kenobi to try out, ive also ordered one from gsf incase yours dosent work anyhow, just hope they dont take forever on delivery ..

Man scrounging lifts to work it harrrddd!

Post Thanks / Like

well popped up to kenobis tonight, grabbed a unknown working/noworking tdc sensor, and fitted but no joy, also swapped the aei unit.. still nothing, defo got power going into the aei unit via yellow and black cable.. spoke to mark earlier and decided ill have to wait for the new tdc sensor to try that .. boooooo

Post Thanks / Like

Welll, today i swapped the tdc sensor for a new one... no joy, and the aei unit has been swapped previously. I turned my attention to the 11.7v that the unit was getting when the ignition key was turned. I took a live wire direct from the battery and bridged it into they live wire going into the aei uni... (the bridge was just before the connection going into the unit so was bypassing the relay.

It worked, the car sprung into life no problems, i then removed the direct feed from the battery and the car continued to run, i then turned off the car, and started it again , this time without the direct feed , again no problem.. then i left the car for 30 mins or so and went back to it, went to start it without direct feed and the problem was back.... no spark, i then turned it over and just tapped the direct feed on the battery and it fired up...

Now my immediate thoughts are that maybe the relay is sticking onto a positon hence it only allows the car to spark using the direct feed, and is not supplying sufficiant voltage on its own to start the car. I dont really know much about relays etc but just stabbing in the dark a little.

Post Thanks / Like

cheque in the post please....

Post Thanks / Like

its on its way

Thanks to folks for helping me along with this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

any1 got any thought with what could be causing the problem as its still happening and requiring my quick bodge of a direct live to start it most the time. Could what i have said before be possible, i dont really know to much about electics but i try.

'Now my immediate thoughts are that maybe the relay is sticking onto a positon hence it only allows the car to spark using the direct feed, and is not supplying sufficiant voltage on its own to start the car. I dont really know much about relays etc but just stabbing in the dark a little.[/quote]'

Post Thanks / Like

immobiliser or alarm problem