Post Thanks / Like

shotblasting wheels

Iv done a few refurbs on wheels before, going to do a 13" five set next, just found out a mate has access to shotblasters, would this be any use, shotblasting the wheels? do alloy refurb companys do this?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: shotblasting wheels

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    Iv done a few refurbs on wheels before, going to do a 13" five set next, just found out a mate has access to shotblasters, would this be any use, shotblasting the wheels? do alloy refurb companys do this?
    I've got 5 Clio Williams wheels that need cleaning also if he's condusive to doing a few more?!

In answer to your question though, you don't want to shotblast them with anything too agressive otherwise you'll bugger them up!

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure he'l be up for it steve.

I might give him mine tomorrow, so i should just ask him to go easy on them, and lightly shot blast them? 1st time iv ever been involved with shot blasting so dont have a clue

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If he's in the Shotblasting game them i guess he would know the score?

My concern would be that the pitting of the surface with grit-shot would kinda peen the surface of the alloy & thus weaken it somewhat???

If he's up for it mate let me know & i'll square you both up with a couple of pints

Post Thanks / Like

Shotblasting is the MAIN fun

Post Thanks / Like

Old set of my cup wheels, and a set of speed lines. I got them sand blasted, as the sand is finer it does not leave them all pitted. left a nice smooth finish.

Be warned, prime them straight away, as they will not like being bare to the elements for long.

Post Thanks / Like

aha! i see jrp good point.

Il be seeing him in the next couple of days so ill see how my gtt wheels get on and let you know.

Yep, no problems steve, im sure he'l do it for a drink. Hes located in royston, so not a million miles away from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Etch prime bare metal or otherwise you could have problems Plus you can use diffrent materials to blast stuff with.

Post Thanks / Like

indeed, etch prime them after and i would get a heavy coat of highbuild/filler primer on and flat it back to give a smooth finish, then paint however you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    If he's in the Shotblasting game them i guess he would know the score?

My concern would be that the pitting of the surface with grit-shot would kinda peen the surface of the alloy & thus weaken it somewhat???

If he's up for it mate let me know & i'll square you both up with a couple of pints
    Steve, if anything I'd have thought peening it would do the opposite to weakening it. That's why some pistons are shot peened. I'm no expert. Of course in this case the last thing you want is a pitted surface as noted below.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be better chemical stripping alloys .I doubt a grit fine enough not to damage the ali would remove much paint .

Post Thanks / Like

We do blasting at work. The best stuff I've found is Aluminum Oxide. The more you blast a surface the smoother it becomes. Never tried it on wheels though.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I need my Clio Williams alloys stripping one way or another so i can get them powdercoated for the Pod next weekend!!?

Can anyone on here help me out??

Post Thanks / Like

You can get different grade of media (shot) for different materials/coatings that need to be removed. So it’s up to the operator to ensure the right media for the job. i.e Removing light rust or removing paint require different shot.

Also if its a machine doing it by rolling them on a belt and blasting or a guy doing it and blasting in one area to long.

If he is any good get it done but if you got doubts get them dipped.

Best stuff i have used for removing coatings is stainless shot but its far to harsh for wheels.

Anyway just my bit.

Post Thanks / Like

just to let you know...spoke to my guy he said he would do the wheels but its not best for them, would leave them needing lots of work.