Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Coolant problems...

Hi folks

Im about to finish my clio gtt conversion ... got the engine running ..water temp guage wired up. So decided to give it a go ..put in some coolant. and opened up the bleed nipple ...left it running for 10mins and no water passed through the bleed nipple ..either did the water in the header tank level drop. ..Turned the engine off when my guage reached before 100 degrees as i didnt want to damage it.

Here is a pic of my pipe layout ...i got rid of the water canister and just made a straight pipe to the bulkhead from the waterpump as advised by rob@backyardracing.

I moved the pipe down after that pic to make sure there is flow.

Has anyone any idea? ...as im new to gtt engines ...also on idle are they supposed to be loud ...i only have a straight through pipe from the turbo and the car is running in my garage.

Sorry for loads of questions lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coolant problems...

You can bleed the system in 30 seconds if you're prepared to stick your mouth over the header tank filler neck...

Post Thanks / Like

were is the pipe to the top of the header tank as that usually returns the water into it. also have you checked for air locks. lift the header tank up and fill as required or just blow it through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    You can bleed the system in 30 seconds if you're prepared to stick your mouth over the header tank filler neck...
    thats the way i've always done it, you dont have to put ya gob over the neck either just put ya lips up against it like ya giving it a kiss lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the pipe that returns from the canister to the header tank has been removed and the top bit on the header tank has been blocked .

Ill go out and give it a blow after me dinner Sounds dodgy lol ...still light headed from the fumes ....engines been sat for a few months

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's how I do it aswell, but i'd rather not state that I ''kiss'' my car... Next you'll be telling us how you use your tongue to check the coolant level.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post

Works every time for me to!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys!! ...it worked ..gave my car is first blow ..... it now sits at 80degrees ....then found an oil leak

Next ...wire up a fanswitch and sort oil leak

Thanks people

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass J View Post
    Cheers guys!! ...it worked ..gave my car is first blow ..... it now sits at 80degrees ....then found an oil leak

Next ...wire up a fanswitch and sort oil leak

Thanks people
    Must have had an airlock then bob, hope its on the road soon!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

same scot same ....just need to sort out the missfiring,oil leak,fit rest of guages and seal my exhaust up.

Then book it in for the cage fitting

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to give this conversion a go one day, glad you got it sorted buddy! How did you find the conversion matey?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was my first engine conversion ..with a lot of help from people that done it before it has been a challenge . I found it hard as im new to engine conversions ..but if youve done one before it wouldnt be too bad . I really just got help from people that did the conversion before ..got most advice from Rob@backyardracing off ere. Help from mates ...theres a thread in the project section of my clio if you want to read

Post Thanks / Like

I'm well glad you've got this mostly sorted. I've been following your engine swap on the renault5gtturbo.com forum (little plug there ).
    You've done well