Post Thanks / Like

minter raking in the cash

i was suprised to see an "old" car still in such good nick not been beasted etc
    good to see a good example can still go for top $$$

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-RENAULT-5...1%7C240%3A1318

Post Thanks / Like

Re: minter raking in the cash

Reserve not met at 5.5k???
    This guys having a bubble.

Post Thanks / Like

it has rust

if that was me I would have got them done and then sold rather than saying it has rust.

I think he is after 7.5k

Post Thanks / Like

lol i didnt see the reserve not met
    i read about this car in pfc mag think he got it for free too

Post Thanks / Like

i think he was asking £7500 on pistonheads

I'm surprised he sold it considering "he's always wanted one and couldn't believe his luck when he found one in such good nick" truth being he sold it for a massive profit as soon as it got featured in PGTI.......

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

seriously.... what a joke. Anybody who pays £5k+ for a 5 either has cash to burn or the 5 is a minter/highly modded with decent mods etc.

the grey 5 in question is pretty clean, looks decent, abit of love and could well be a orginal car, mintish etc...

But is it worth anything near the asking price? I would say no... max of £3k and i do mean MAX.

There are other cars within the club that are in better nick, just not as low mileage (although there are a few that low mileage)

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike GTT View Post
    i think he was asking £7500 on pistonheads

I'm surprised he sold it considering "he's always wanted one and couldn't believe his luck when he found one in such good nick" truth being he sold it for a massive profit as soon as it got featured in PGTI.......

imo it is a nice car but for that price
    yeh i think he was asking for that price on piston heads why so much i dont know very very good condtion but as the car had been standing for so long i dont know how he got the engine bay/plastics soooo clean would it not start collecting dust or the like??unless it was left in a bubble
    but cut to the chase for a tungy grey on a g plate 20 yrs old that condtion id say 4.500 ,5 k max and more i think he is pushing it.(personally)

Post Thanks / Like

I think that perhaps I hold the minority view but when I look for any car I look for the one with the lowest mileage in the best original condition that I can afford.

Indeed I will always pay more for something that is as unused and unmolested as I can find.

Storing a car is not 'free' especially if done properly so why are we surprised at the premium ?

If this person got the car for 'nothing' then good luck to him in selling it for as much of a profit as he can make - it seems that others (self included) are prepared to pay extra for this type of car and of course others hold different values and prefer to spend more on vehicles that have been modified or have an interesting history.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like

I've been interested in the sale of this car myself, to see what it was selling for?!

I read the PFC article and thought "lucky b**tard!" - and then to read at the end that it was for sale was just a joke. Get it featured in a mag to up the price - JOKER!!

Whatever your personel view, i do see it as a plus for the R5 owners and maybe even to the point of it uping the value of our own cars.

Mine has an agreed value on it, and once i've finished all the "show room" work, i'd be interested to see what it's valued at after that.................

Post Thanks / Like

The appearance in a magazine both increases awareness and appears to give the car some pedigree.

It gives any car exposure that it would otherwise struggle to achieve so if you are thinking of selling this type of advertising has value.

On the flip side of course the danger when contemplating such a purchase of course is that the same due diligence should be exercised as would be necessary when considering the purchase of any vehicle - magazine feature car or not.

The article in this case does seem to have been a conscious decision by the owner and for that reason I suppose I might immediately be a little suspicious.

Comments such as 'a few spider rust spot's here and there', 'could be sorted out easily as the car has never had any paint work ever done on it [what does that have to do with anything ????]' and the somewhat contradictory 'It's absolutely mint and it's a must see as you never see these car's completely original' just irritate and might put me off..........

On the flip side it has only done 17 K miles.
    Last edited by G801CVT; 10-04-2009 at 06:57.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd snap it up most definatly.
    i've wanted one since the age of 11 and i only got my first running one two weeks ago at the age of 24.
    The magazine article suggests he loves it and has always wanted one and fell in love etc etc just to throw in the "by the way its for sale" - line totally agree with wallace on this one

but thats because i'm genuine and didn't just stumble across one and try and sell it on for a hefty profit, knowing what it was regardless of history??

i'd know what i'd be doing if i found one in such condition..... garaged for another 12 years and only driven on dry weekends ....... chance would be a fine thing tho....jelious of the opertunity
    Last edited by Mike GTT; 10-04-2009 at 01:01.

Post Thanks / Like

i would`nt buy it to store it for years id buy it to enjoy it

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also i have re-listed this item due to time waster's!

But it didn't even meet the reserve price, so who is a waster

Post Thanks / Like

Brings back memories, mine looked like that when I got it although it didnt have a single spot of rust and had done 49K.