Post Thanks / Like

fuel pump

my fuel pump was knackered, so changed it for a Bosch pump (uprated? certainly bigger) along with the fuel filter. Tried it straight after and he started no problems. Took him for a spin, drove fantastic. Tried him yesterday after a weekend of sitting there and nothing! Started a little but then just seemed to run out of juice? Fuel gauge states there is something in there (just below 1/4). pump is running, I can hear it. Any ideas?

Just to confirm, the filter sits in line after the pump with the arrow on the side facing away from the pump? The Bosch pump has the electrical contacts on the outlet side (same as old pump)?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: fuel pump

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Have you tried disconnecting the fuel line which goes into the carb and turning the engine over to see if you are actually getting fuel through to the carb? Use a bottle to catch the fuel. If you're getting fuel then I guess it must be another (electrical) problem, maybe the dizzy cap??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
    New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Have you tried disconnecting the fuel line which goes into the carb and turning the engine over to see if you are actually getting fuel through to the carb? Use a bottle to catch the fuel. If you're getting fuel then I guess it must be another (electrical) problem, maybe the dizzy cap??
    ta, will do when I get home tonight

Post Thanks / Like

oké, I am getting NO fuel at the carburettor. i notice in Haynes that the electrical contacts are on the inlet side (opposite side to filter side) in the diagram. I'm absolutely sure the previous pump had contacts on the oulet side. And I'm pretty sure the new Bosch pump has contacts on outlet side. I'm presuming the filter sits in-line after the pump.

Post Thanks / Like

check you got power at the fuel pump check the fuel pump relay also you can bridge the connector with a piece of wire to test it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    check you got power at the fuel pump check the fuel pump relay also you can bridge the connector with a piece of wire to test it.
    I can hear it though, it's a right noisy bugger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HaarlemPaul View Post
    I can hear it though, it's a right noisy bugger.
    maybe the pump is spinning in the wrong direction due to having the power terminals on the wrong way also have you tried blowing down the fuel line from the carb top end to see if its blocked