Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

F7R 2.0l 16v

What do you know about this engine?

I'm told it came out of a Renault 19 16v but I think it must be from a Laguna?

What sort of power do they make in NA form?
    Anyone ever turbo'd one?
    Will the BB tuning cast turbo manifold (used on the F7P engine) fit?
    Do they run under piston oil sprays?

Was looking for an F7P really but this came up cheap and thought I'd ask if anyone knew what the crack was?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: F7R 2.0l 16v

Renault 19 16v only have the F7P engine which runs 137bhp which is the 1.8

The F7R came from the Clio williams or the Megane, these both came with 150bhp, the megane has more torque mid range.

As for turbo conversion few people have

BB casting fits the F7R and F7P

Pass on the under piston oil spray

The megane is distributless. If the engine came from a renault 19 and they say its a 2.0 you may find they have got the 19 F7P head and put a 2.0 bottom end from the megane or the williams. A lot of people have done that conversion as its cheaper than finder a williams lump as the megane lump can be picked up cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

valve sizes are slightly different depending whether its from a Clio williams or a megane, but iirc its only 1mm.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post

As for turbo conversion few people have
    Nice one Dale thanks, is yours the F7R then? have you lowered the compression? If so how much? And also what sorta power are you making?

Post Thanks / Like

williams engine is f7r 700 and megane is f7r 710.

Post Thanks / Like

You've also got the N7Q which is also 2L 16V, a Volvo powerplant but found in the Renault Laguna, mated to the Renault JC5 gearbox.

You also have the Volvo V40 which is the turbo'd 2L 16V, i've been told it's the same engine that's in the Laguna but blown to give 200bhp out the box. I've pondered on using the complete powerplant, loom, ECU etc from the V40 and drop it in something Renault

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Nice one Dale thanks, is yours the F7R then? have you lowered the compression? If so how much? And also what sorta power are you making?
    Mines the F7P which came from the clio/19 a bit of a mixture. Compression ratio is about 8.0:1. The head is pretty much the equivalent of the F7R as I have it all ported and polished out a lot more plus I have the williams valves in place as they are larger, but dont know how much by. When it was on the rollers it made 180bhp at 6psi. It is due to be booked in again soon so will be able to let you know hopefully in a couple of weeks when its up and running properly again.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It never rains but it pours...........!!

Right I have managed to find an f7p engine thanks to Backyard Rob crew and possibly this F7R engine that Ashy has his claws into. The question is will the 1.8 crank drop under the f7r 2.0 lump to create a shorter stroke and lower compression? If so will I still need to alter the pistons to reduce CR more? Is it a potential Ball Ache....don't even answer that...

Any ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by V Man View Post
    It never rains but it pours...........!!

Right I have managed to find an f7p engine thanks to Backyard Rob crew and possibly this F7R engine that Ashy has his claws into. The question is will the 1.8 crank drop under the f7r 2.0 lump to create a shorter stroke and lower compression? If so will I still need to alter the pistons to reduce CR more? Is it a potential Ball Ache....don't even answer that...

Any ideas
    I believe the 1.8 crank does work might need a bit of machining though, by the time you have done it though you may as well have used a 1.8 bottom end what with all the work thats involved. You cant just use a shorter throw crank to lower compression, things just dont work like that me old fruit.

Post Thanks / Like

Id have a go with a crank swap if it was me, depends how low the compression can go on the 1.8 BE without a spacer? and making the piston tops to thin.. But williams with 1.8 crank should be great base for good power...

Post Thanks / Like

Dont need a spacer, and for some reason im mad enough to run a cheap standard headgasket. Thinking that if anything goes id rather have that go lasted 3 months of mapping before it went, only reason it went was my mistake with it adjusting the mapping a bit much and caused det

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Dont need a spacer, and for some reason im mad enough to run a cheap standard headgasket. Thinking that if anything goes id rather have that go lasted 3 months of mapping before it went, only reason it went was my mistake with it adjusting the mapping a bit much and caused det
    What CR are you running, and whats the lowest CR a 1.8 can go with std gasket?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    What CR are you running, and whats the lowest CR a 1.8 can go with std gasket?
    Im running about 8.0:1 doubt you really want to go much lower than that really.

Post Thanks / Like

True, i guess it depends what your building the car for?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    You cant just use a shorter throw crank to lower compression, things just dont work like that me old fruit.
    Course you can!!

SOme pics of the engine in Here Rob https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=390 Also some other pics of a similar engine i took off cliosport a few months ago, food for thought!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Course you can!!

SOme pics of the engine in Here Rob https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=390 Also some other pics of a similar engine i took off cliosport a few months ago, food for thought!
    For those that don't know, my 2L engine has an 1800cc crank in it to drop CC's and drop the compression in one hit. The only consideration is how much it drops compression by. I've come down from 11:1 to 7:1. Probably a bigger jump than most people would like.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Ashy looks ripe for the Turbo manifold I bought not long ago!. Text book appearance of one of Ians' engines sat in a pile of dung with a seat belt wrapped around it. Is he still Rat Catching up there?

Was there a lot of work involved in the 1.8 and 2.0 jiggery pokery Scoff? Potentialy the 1.8 and 2.0 engines will be in the garage in the next week or two.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Jobs a goodun marrow, that T28 should be able to provide a nice bit of boost too!! Didn't reply to u're e-mail at work, will probably jus borrow one of the works vans over the weekend and sla the engines in that!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jobs a goodun marrow, that T28 should be able to provide a nice bit of boost too!! Didn't reply to u're e-mail at work, will probably jus borrow one of the works vans over the weekend and sla the engines in that!!
    Leg end

Post Thanks / Like

fek in ell! Another one of Georges death traps on the road!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

not much work v.man, more so with my F4 block because the crank needed machining to take the oil pump sprocket. the F7 should swap without any real work, but compression will be very low.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    but compression will be very low.
    How low do you think? Lower than a gtt?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

How low do you think? Lower than a gtt?
    loads lower ashy. what's the F4R Clio 172 in standard form ? 11:1 ? That dropped to 7:1 in my engine. Fine for me since I'm quite partial to a bit of boost, but too low for most probably. What is the F7R's c/r ? Less than 11:1 ? If so then the 1800cc will be into the 6's.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget you need Forge pistons at 220bhp casts melt so i get told ......

Show them how its done and make over 300+ on a standard cast..

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

loads lower ashy. what's the F4R Clio 172 in standard form ? 11:1 ? That dropped to 7:1 in my engine. Fine for me since I'm quite partial to a bit of boost, but too low for most probably. What is the F7R's c/r ? Less than 11:1 ? If so then the 1800cc will be into the 6's.
    You should be able to work it out from the bore stroke and cr of each engine... I'll look into it.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F7R

Maybe the 2.0 is the better route with the pistons machined to give a 8:1 CR!

Post Thanks / Like

Still not a revy crank tho over the f7p

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F7R

Maybe the 2.0 is the better route with the pistons machined to give a 8:1 CR!
    Well, like always it depends on application. If you want a lot of power without a mountain of gearbox busting torque then the 1800cc is best. If you had, say, a german gearbox and a huge paddle clutch then you might want to keep the 2L, fit a huge roller bearing turbo and invest in some camshafts. Possibly!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, like always it depends on application. If you want a lot of power without a mountain of gearbox busting torque then the 1800cc is best. If you had, say, a german gearbox and a huge paddle clutch then you might want to keep the 2L, fit a huge roller bearing turbo and invest in some camshafts. Possibly!
    Who would do something crazy like that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Right chaps, just done some calculations and based on these numbers:

F7R - CR 10:1, Bore x Stroke 82.7mm x 93mm, Capacity 1998cc
    F7P - CR 10:1 Bore x Stroke 82mm x 83.5mm, Capacity 1764cc

The CR of the F7R engine with the F7P crank in would be 6.5:1 which IMO would actually make it a worthwhile conversion.

Can anyone confirm?

Trader
    Big Jim Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Each to their own, and all that, but why would you want a super low compression 1800? It would be a pig to drive anywhere but on the strip and would need 30psi to make any real power..... Keep the 2l and bowl the pistons to give you a low 9 ish cr. It would make a much nicer engine to actually drive. If you want more power than that would live at, get some forged pistons, 'cos you'll probably be needing stronger ring lands anyway.

Scoff made a good point about the torque killing things, but if you fit a turbo with a big enough a/r exh then you can limit the midrange and just make it feel like a really strong NA engine.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

a gtt is 7:1 isn't it? I just think the torque is a big problem on a 2.0l with 9:1 Cr also it would realy wan to rev.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Racing View Post
    Each to their own, and all that, but why would you want a super low compression 1800? It would be a pig to drive anywhere but on the strip and would need 30psi to make any real power..... Keep the 2l and bowl the pistons to give you a low 9 ish cr. It would make a much nicer engine to actually drive. If you want more power than that would live at, get some forged pistons, 'cos you'll probably be needing stronger ring lands anyway.

Scoff made a good point about the torque killing things, but if you fit a turbo with a big enough a/r exh then you can limit the midrange and just make it feel like a really strong NA engine.
    Thats what I was trying to get at in my first post, I had a low comp engine that got destroyed and did not enjoy it one bit, off boost it felt slugish and un drivable with **** loads of lag. Silly revs and a narrow power band right up the rev range are not the be all and end all, thats why I never bothered with the willy engine in my five for three reasons one because it weighs **** loads two because I did not want all top end power and no torque and three there is no gearbox that would handle the torque. If you could find a decent gearbox that did not cost the earth it could be a decent conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

what if you cupled the willy engine an f7p crank and a smaller turbo T25.
    wouldnt that bring the boost in lower down the rev range so you didnt feel so flat with the low comp?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

6.5:1 too low, it will feel incredibly flat. Like the guys say you should try and keep it 2L, it'll be so much more fun to drive, look at Ashy's motor, the ideal fast road motor. If you are building a big HP race engine and you don't mind RPM then OK, the 1800cc looks more attractive when you factor in how piss poor the renault gearbox is going to be.

Post Thanks / Like

so its more viable to machine the pistons down. in the 2l that is

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    what if you cupled the willy engine an f7p crank and a smaller turbo T25.
    wouldnt that bring the boost in lower down the rev range so you didnt feel so flat with the low comp?

Wrong way of going about it though! you'd be strangling an engine that would normally only be any good for making a lot of power, and ofcourse a T25 won't do that! Fuel consumption at 6.5:1 will be shocking too.