Post Thanks / Like

brake caliper refurbisment

more for looks than functionabilty but an added bonus to kno all calipers are tip top condition and working as they should i'd like to get them refurbed.
    Have previously cleaned them up myself with wire wheel and brake cleaner then painted with a kit from halfords but they have starting to rust again.
    I can strip them down myself but would like someone else to have accountability when it comes to brakes incase something went wrong and the brakes failed! i've found a company called bigg red who do an exchange service but i would like them in yellow and they don't do that colour, does anybody kno of another company who does? was thinking about getting them vapour blasted and powder coated if not but would like to kno if it is possible or anybody has had this done?

nick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: brake caliper refurbisment

talking of calipers, i just purchased brand new calipers front and back.

the money it cost i probaly should of gone for 4 pots, but hey nevermind im sure ill be very happy with them!!

Post Thanks / Like

Standard exchange front callipers are about £60 from most motor factors, and £40 from CGB, all properly rebuilt for you! Then mask up the piston and sliders, get some calliper lacquer from halfords, ebay or the like and give em a couple of coats - easy mind you i've never bothered, functionality over looks and all that, also im lousy with a paintbrush... lol

Quote Originally Posted by tricky nicky View Post
    more for looks than functionabilty but an added bonus to kno all calipers are tip top condition and working as they should i'd like to get them refurbed.
    Have previously cleaned them up myself with wire wheel and brake cleaner then painted with a kit from halfords but they have starting to rust again.
    I can strip them down myself but would like someone else to have accountability when it comes to brakes incase something went wrong and the brakes failed! i've found a company called bigg red who do an exchange service but i would like them in yellow and they don't do that colour, does anybody kno of another company who does? was thinking about getting them vapour blasted and powder coated if not but would like to kno if it is possible or anybody has had this done?

nick

Post Thanks / Like

bigg red did a pair for £130 so costs woud be the same i guess but i don't really rate the finish you get from the kit and will probably rust quicker than a proper finish, would rather just swap them

Post Thanks / Like

nick
    you would be wasting your money on vapour blasting them etc,you say there
    tip top,so why not get hold of some por 15 paint,they do various colours,contact
    frost restoration,do a google.....

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frix View Post
    talking of calipers, i just purchased brand new calipers front and back.

the money it cost i probaly should of gone for 4 pots, but hey nevermind im sure ill be very happy with them!!
    I see what you mean about cost wise £159 for the set of 4. thats nearly more than what I paid for the car. Guess ill be giving those a wire brush and a flick of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Is exactly the same stuff, either just lots of coats and applied by spraygun or the two part epoxy stuff, the latter is far better, my little brothers been playing around with the stuff on his mazda turbo, first time flaked off, two part stuff has seemed to do the job pretty well, will have you floating round the room though is pretty whiffy

bigg red did a pair for £130 so costs woud be the same i guess but i don't really rate the finish you get from the kit and will probably rust quicker than a proper finish, would rather just swap them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    you would be wasting your money on vapour blasting them etc,you say there
    tip top,so why not get hold of some por 15 paint,they do various colours,contact
    frost restoration,do a google.....
    No they would be tip top condition if refurbished, will have a look at frost restoration cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Bigfoot;55078]I see what you mean about cost wise £159 for the set of 4. [/quot

from where???????????????????

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Frix;55130]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I see what you mean about cost wise £159 for the set of 4. [/quot

from where???????????????????
    From the company I work for but you wont be able to get that discount have to pay nearly same amount on surcharges though

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Bigfoot;55136]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frix View Post

From the company I work for but you wont be able to get that discount have to pay nearly same amount on surcharges though

gave me a little scare, cheapest i could find was gsf for the rears and got lucky on ebay with the fronts!!

Post Thanks / Like

think i paid £54 each for the rears from gsf last summer

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new rear caliper from GSF in Jan this year. was 90 odd quid

Post Thanks / Like

i can find a repair/rebuild kit for the front calipers but not the rears??

Post Thanks / Like

my local moter factors EKbrakes will sell me for £40 each on exchange basis .

Post Thanks / Like

kits are near £30 i think and it dose not includ new piston, or so ive heard

best get re-coned calipers, just swap your old ones and £80 for 2 shiny new back cali[ers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    I bought a new rear caliper from GSF in Jan this year. was 90 odd quid
    got mine for £67 each at gsf today!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, your right....just looked at my receipt, i bought a pair of handbrake cables with the caliper aswell

Post Thanks / Like

as for paint... i just used car paint and lacquer, pug blaze yellow to be exact

hammerite works but isn't as smooth and glossy as proper paint

Post Thanks / Like

voila!

Post Thanks / Like

cheers for your help so far guys, thought i'd add to the end of this thread rather than starting a new one as it's along the same lines.

i'm after new rear bearings so where's the best place to get them from? was thinking gsf but remember people having problems with them from there, they were failing after a few hundred miles or something? was it put down to a bad batch and has anybody had an problems with them recently?