Post Thanks / Like

E7J Power potential?

Ok here is another idea in search for more power and reliability.
    Std. E7J engine is a 1390cc (75.8x77) with 9.5:1 c/r SOHC engine.
    The possible advantages I have in mind are:
    1-no pushrods so should be able to handle some revs without any major problems
    2-hemi head
    3- Larger inlet and exhaust valves as std.
    Inlet: 37.5mm C1J inlet: 34.2mm
    Exhaust: 33.5mm C1J exhaust: 29mm

In addition to the basics of this engine I was thinking, we could use the 84mm crank and 76.5mm dished pistons from C2L engine (available for a very reasonable price from Turkey).
    The only downside I can think of is the high c/r for forced induction, but we really need to find out the combustion chamber volume to be able come up with predictions as to what can be done to lower the c/r.
    And there’s also the hassle/cost of custom inlet/exhaust manifolds. Bear in mind that the exhaust manifold is at the front of the engine. Inlet manifold will only need to be custom made if going the EFI route or it can be adapted to take the 32DIS.
    I came out with a rough figure of 34cc for combustion chamber volume which is pretty small compared to Gtt head. I also guestimated the dished area of C2L pistons (I will have to dig out my pistons and take some proper measurements) and worked it out to be 8.3:1c/r with a 2.2mm gasket squashed to 2mm(if it can be sourced) and machining the combustion chamber volume to 38cc (assuming there’s enough meat in the chamber).

So what do you think people shall I prepare to get my life jacket on once more

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E7J Power potential?

i recon an e7 will out do a c1
    when ren first put the E in the 19 there was no rev limmiter fited and we at renault london had loads of dropped valves cos the e will rev way past 8k (suprisigly all the cars that dropped there valves were hire cars)
    if i remember correct the e7 puts out 85bhp in std na form and the c1 puts out 65bhp
    so if a blower is fitted to a c1 and goes over 200bhp then in proportion an e should be around the 250>270 mark

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask what the E7 was dropped into as 1390cc rings a bell with your engine in the Campus Col, as you mentioned they used the same lump in the R19. Having a brief search would i be right in saying they're still using the EJ in the likes of the late Clios and Kangoos and probably other models

Post Thanks / Like

later cars use the k4m, k4j and k7m engines mate. E series engines were switched to K series in 1999 as far as I'm aware.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering where the advantage lies compared with the volvo engine - for example

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    I'm wondering where the advantage lies compared with the volvo engine - for example

well it weighs less and can be run with Gtt carb and err it's got a hemi head

on the plus side pistons, liners and conrods are easier to get hold of and probably cheaper too

Although, I have to agree that the Volvo engine has much more potential

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i l k e r View Post
    later cars use the k4m, k4j and k7m engines mate. E series engines were switched to K series in 1999 as far as I'm aware.
    Gotcha, i guess C engines were upto say 95 as IIRC the 5 Campus used the C3J?

E as in 'Energy' engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Gotcha, i guess C engines were upto say 95 as IIRC the 5 Campus used the C3J?

E as in 'Energy' engine?

the ones used in R19 was called 'Energy' but I'm not sure about the rest mate.

Trader
    Big Jim Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use the 1600 16v? I'm sure it's got the same block dimensions as a c1j (someones gonna shoot me down in flames there). When I helped my mate build his 172 turbo 5, we reckoned the 1.6 would probably have been a better bet. Smaller, lighter and capable of more than enough performance.

Post Thanks / Like

the F engine was originaly a derv to start out with then it became a petrol
    the E started out as a petrol engine then it got bored and became a k
    the J started out as a pet then a derv

ive been around so long i can tell you that a C was used DURING THE WAR

Post Thanks / Like

if the engine is 1390cc(possibliy same cyls and pistons)is the bolt pattern the same??