Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extra turbo.

what a shame.well if anyone hears of a set coming up for grabs would you let me know?
    would be wicked to have a set! dam shame there rare. thanks for the info tho

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    I got my set off Sam Fish ages ago, just need to pull my finger out and get them refurbed.

If they weren't so rare id get them banded out to 7" wide. Im actually tempted to get a set of gtt spare wheels banded for the deep dish steel look like the pair i have for my drag radials..
    Must say briggs its good to see the ole van getting some tlc..., as for the cup rims bud...they may look good in black but on that pic i reckon its a fail bud..sorry i love cup rim as ya know... but the valver rims look mucho better me thinks on the van!
    That said its good to see you hard at it....

Post Thanks / Like

New wheels are powdercoated and ready to fit when the r888's arrive. Even bought new centre caps from renault to finish them off.

Have just tallyed up how much ive spent on getting these wheels sorted, cant believe how much they owe me...good job I have done it over a few months.

£250 for the rims
    £288 for the 185/60/13 toyo r888's
    £160 for blast and powdercoat
    £48 for 4 new centrecaps (were supposed to be £6 each but once they were on order there was no going back!)

Total = £746, could have got a set bbs for this amount...

The powdercoating does look superb though, the pics don't do them justice, the finish is ultra sparkly

New centre caps

and fitted

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brigsy looking Reem can't wait to see some pics of them with tyres on and sitting nice on the ole extra
    Last edited by James5; 28-04-2011 at 16:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking crisp Briggs, can't go wrong with romax. Still waiting to hear back on the 888s should be next week like

Post Thanks / Like

Ideal mate, im looking forward to fitting them (sad i know) will hopefully lay the power down a bit better on the road

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrub that question on Facebook mate!!

Wheels look awesome matey, will make the Van look even more awesome now!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wanted to update the look a little Brigsy??

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels look mint, are you going to pod next month in this?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Brigsy looking Reem can't wait to see some pics of them with tyres on and sitting nice on the ole extra
    They do look cool Brigsy, but your comment James made me laugh Reem, only way is Essex with his hug boots how sad am I, this will take over now and be the new in word.

REEM

Post Thanks / Like

They do look pretty reem like

Ill be taking it to the rtoc pod day Jon, see if i can get back into the 12's

Had the van down at york raceway yesterday, head wind killed the terminal speeds (or maybe ratio's in the new box?!)

60ft's were very good though (1.7-1.8's), ran a 13.07@100mph & 4.9 0-60. The track was glued and the grip was awesome, was holding it on the rev limiter and sidestepping the clutch with no wheelspin! Couple of vids..

13.07 run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ttr...&feature=share

Me & glen hi-5 (glen ran out of gas on this run after giving me a head start still blew my doors off like!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaP18...UGx2CI&index=6

Post Thanks / Like

Cup rims are now on. Had to get a set of Yokohama A048's as toyos are out of stock until august apparantly? On order everywhere. Cost £320 for a set of 4 so not that bad. Hopefully will corner a bit better with these on, the stance looks miles better with a lower offset too.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet as Brigsy!

Post Thanks / Like

looking good bud

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Brigsy! Looking sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

needs a pallette of bricks in the back!

Post Thanks / Like

They really suit it Brigsy Good work

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, im loving the discreet look Handling is better with decent rubber and lower offset rims its win win!

Took a couple of pics with my gtt yesterday.

Been messing about with my iphone 4 & done a couple of hd vids too

Sidey for the win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4RzInIoRg

Fixed my orange light, so had to test it with some retro house with daughter dear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ao5NIo9Xr8

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, nightclub in a van=win!

Post Thanks / Like

badass

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cup rims make it. Absolutely loving it!

If it were me, I'd paint that intercooler grey/ black and change the blue boost pipes for black ones.

If you ever want to sell it, PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do mate

Small update..fitted some gaz rear shockers tonight to stiffen the rear end up a bit. £90 for a pair brand new off ebay, cheap enough

I replaced the rear shockers for gen renault a while back but they were fairly soft. The gaz with the rebound set at half way are much firmer, see if it makes any difference at mallory with the new rubber would be nice to see if i can get it to cock a leg on track

P.s Excuse the half painted floor, ran out of por15 when doing it so could only do the essential areas that needed it

Post Thanks / Like

Love the nightclub Jon

How much is it to get in?

As for the wheels, I have to say I'm a 'road' fan and the alloys with a bit of extra offset would be my choice. Still looks ace on the cup rims though I just love the whole thing.

What else do you intend to do with it once it's in the 12's? Will you continue to mess about with interior, or styling etc? Or are we at the end game now?

Post Thanks / Like

I fancy going for a bigger lump, few more cc's and more power next. Just need to stop changing my mind on the engine and spec i fancy

Keeping the interior/exterior as it is really. Ill probably have to get some bodywork done soon, its getting a little bit scabby in places now. Im still keeping the williams rims too so will swap and change when i get bored/tyres are bald

Right done a little bit of driving with the new gaz shockers on, i initially set them at half way on the adjuster (18 clicks from soft?) Seemed massively over damped and bouncy for road use....I backed off the adjusters fully soft and have wound on 5 clicks and seems pretty good. Well worth the £90 for the shockers compared to standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailed the paintwork a bit today before nd. Used autoglym super resin polish to clean, poorboys white diamond show glaze & meguiars hd wax to finish. Polished up pretty nice, still a fair few swirlmarks but not too bad. Fitted some pressed plates without the gb logo aswell.

Next job is to black out the intercooler and black silicone hoses

Last edited by Brigsy; 30-05-2011 at 23:11.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You should call that thing 'Rene' after Rene Arnoux.
    If you get rid of the 591 of the reg no, its R-NOU....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this van! ....did i read right on your profile a 12.8@106mph ...in a van

Post Thanks / Like

After 13k miles/3 years the t28 has finally went boom in a big way! After a couple of miles of boost showing an astra coupe turbo who was the boss, big pop at 5k in second gear and a lot of smoke! Fogged out the local duel carriageway with smoke i havent stripped it down yet but i think the exhaust impeller has sheared off...the whole turbo is probably scrap now im guessing.

A short video of the smokescreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMTs_MzdDI

I need a new turbo asap. I might aswell upgrade to a gt series, but which one to go for?? have been looking at gt2560r with .64 back end?? thoughts?? there's so many to choose from & a bit of lag wont bother me too much if it delivers the goods on boost.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a .64 rear on the tungy 5 mate, all can say is not very impressed. If maybe that i have a large trim wheel in there too but for me i think i'd say stick with a smaller housing mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Did it not deliver the goods on boost mate?? id be willing to have a bit of lag for more power up top.

Post Thanks / Like

Did it not deliver the goods on boost mate?? id be willing to have a bit of lag for more power up top.
    Well i changed few bits on my engine since Pod Day but was all in aid to help it spool. I got full boost about 5000rpm, power delievery was smoother so not as sudden.
    Now not too sure if me not being able to get more than 20psi made much difference but it didn't go as well as i thought, one thing i did notice was i had bugger all chatter on gear change so wondering if the turbo was spinning that fast at all due to the size of the housing, i'm going back to .49 rear mate and comparing.

Post Thanks / Like

gt2560r is just a normal s14 t28 but roller ball core and a better design compressor wheel

on 200s they give a bit better than a stock t28 but its only minimal difference tbh

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brigsy sorry to hear that mate, the T28 i just took off was about perfect, it was the g@Y-Tec T28 RB from back in the day, ill get the sizes from it later but it must have done 8 years of proper abuse at 22+ psi.

As for the goods, boost, boost and more boost with not too much lag if your quick with the gears.

Hope the van is back on the road ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

What turbo are you using on your new setup al? i think my old unit done well, i bet i was way out of the efficiency zone!

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What turbo are you using on your new setup al? i think my old unit done well, i bet i was way out of the efficiency zone!
    I got an Adam L special T25 RB, I didn't buy it direct but got it new from they guy who did. Basically a Garrett RB GT with a .42 compressor, cant remember what the back end is off hand though...? I was blown away with it, virtually no lag and savage boost up to 24 psi. I'll upload a quick vid to utube and you can have a look. Same compressor as my old T28 (I re used my old housing as it was machined for the restrictor (which is still fitted).

Post Thanks / Like

The turbo I had off cr turbos in New Milton was bad ass , never really had the chance to test it properly but sure made a shed load of power at 20psi even with a stock cam. Gt2554r with a 60mm excuder comp wheel. The guy is sound, do a deal for cash

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted, Jon. A rollerbearing unit will spool quicker, believe it or not. You effectivley had a GT2560R but using a jounral bearing core and a .49 back housing. However you won't find a rolerbearing with a .49 exhaust side. the .64 is the smallest on any aftermarket Garrett turbo but I had 21psi at 4k rpm on said unit when I owned Mart's old Raider (the 3'' elbow helped massively though).

I'm rubbish, price wise, with rollerbearings, so do your shopping if you really want one.

Try AET for a chra and it'll be a direct fit for the housings you already have bar the machine work for the exhaust housing.

I've just read Mark's response about the .64 back end. The journal setup doesn't help. Now, I have no idea what the engine setup was on Mart's build but when 4k rpm came about the car wheel span through all of 3rd gear. I sold the elbow and turbo setup and fitted a journal .64 turbo with a BB tuning elbow/downpipe and the lag was instantly 1k rpm worse...
    Last edited by Adam L; 27-08-2011 at 00:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a roller bearing unit which cr turbos cast their own .49 rear housing for, you could eliminiate the whole debate on which rear housing is best for your own set up by rigging up a simple gauge to measure back pressure, old boost gauge and a coil of copper wire/ brake pipe voila

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I always had best results with a bigger turbine when I run the C1J. But, full-throttle shifting was essential. The engine would make good power past 8000rpm though, so if the cam and the rest of the engine doesn't want to work up there then 0.49 will still be best.

Brigsy I think you run quite a lairy cam, so I'd say you'll be OK with the 0.64. It'll need a load of RPM.

Glenn has 0.86 would you believe, which spools just fine without any gas, but that's an EFI thing

Post Thanks / Like

I have a piper 285 dialled in with 4deg of retard scoff so should work ok at high rpm? I'm not frightened to rev it like.

Found the problem with the old t28

Old Vs new

Just need an oil feed adaptor and return now, also need a new end for my actuator as the wastegate pin is smaller on the new turbo..can you buy them from anywhere or will I need to weld and redrill mine?!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good mate the exhaust wheel looks quite a bit bigger. what sort of boost you planning on running as the compressor map stops at 1.5 bar.
    Last edited by Logg; 09-10-2011 at 17:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved this van when i saw it at Pod

You going to the cheshire RR day on 22nd briggs? if you are i might have some oil feed adapters and braided lines etc that might work for the t28, came off my garrett t28 i had for the 200sx so should be same/similar? can bring em with me so you can try them and if they work you can have them cheap cheap

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you got that quick mate , looks like a nice bit of kit , wht you doing with the t28 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping to get it all fitted before the rr day Rare, thanks for the offer though if i need the bits ill give you a shout

The old t28 needs a new shaft and rear housing, i think the core has survived as what's left of the shaft spins freely with no play in any direction. I did plan on just chucking it in the spares pile??

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same turbo like the new one you got at 0.6 7 it fells very good next will try to 1 bar and see the turbo should be at is optimum operation at 1 bar if im not wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Now, I have no idea what the engine setup was on Mart's build but when 4k rpm came about the car wheel span through all of 3rd gear. I sold the elbow and turbo setup and fitted a journal .64 turbo with a BB tuning elbow/downpipe and the lag was instantly 1k rpm worse...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be running 1.5bar+ of boost. Probably way off the compressor map like the last turbo!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work and such a fantastic extra !

Post Thanks / Like

Progress has been slow but were getting there now! Had a carry on finding an adaptor for oil feed which has slowed progress down and everything seems to require small mods to fit to the new turbo. I've spent a few quid here and there on small parts.

The plan is to relocate the header tank to the scuttle panel whilst on with it as it's a bit close to the exhaust housing on the new turbo.

Compressor adaptors fitted

Bolted on