Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project 172

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Get on with it Cooke!!!
    should be running by Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachmen...0&d=1240150786

Thats a nice tidy job there mate, good work...

This is gonna be a mad project, those coil overs look fat....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    should be running by Sunday
    Easter Sunday, 2012 ?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it running yet then Andrew?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my friend about the clio 172 he used to have, he was as useless as me about info. All it had was aftermarket filter in standard box, make unknown, a stainless exhaust, make unknown(had factory cat fitted still) and a remap, apparantly was 190bhp, sounded great tho.

The one thing I noticed was that the inlet manifold got really hot, I know the japboys fit thermal gaskets on type r manifolds to stop this, not sure if the same thing can be done on the 172.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alister View Post
    I asked my friend about the clio 172 he used to have, he was as useless as me about info. All it had was aftermarket filter in standard box, make unknown, a stainless exhaust, make unknown(had factory cat fitted still) and a remap, apparantly was 190bhp, sounded great tho.

The one thing I noticed was that the inlet manifold got really hot, I know the japboys fit thermal gaskets on type r manifolds to stop this, not sure if the same thing can be done on the 172.
    Hill Power (or something like that) do PTFE gaskets. Just keep the throttle open and let the airflow keep it cool

Post Thanks / Like

nice little project you've got going here.

not sure the cliosport lot will like it though, no silver visions, yozza exhaust or turinis!

so is this going be your daily runner and how long do you think it's going to take to finish it competely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tricky nicky View Post
    nice little project you've got going here.

not sure the cliosport lot will like it though, no silver visions, yozza exhaust or turinis!

so is this going be your daily runner and how long do you think it's going to take to finish it competely?

are ya gonna cover it in GDI stickers and 'detail it' so that you have more chance of getting it on cliosport?

Post Thanks / Like

Cliosport may grow to love it

It will be a daily driver, as to how long it'll take to complete, I doubt it'll ever be complete, but I'd like it running ASAP.

I've been a bit distracted recently, but hopefully I can play a bit without without being distracted over the bank holiday, ok, well, maybe get some time off to play.

I recieved the engine mounting bolts, so could finally tighten the engine mount. The rear mount still needs finishing (still not managed to get a suitable mount to modify). The rear 'mount' is sat on a jack so that I can still play a little with the final position. The exhaust was a bit close to the floor, so I leant the engine a bit further back, and the exhaust now looks perfect, it's also given me a bit more space around the front of the engine.

The gearlinkage clashes with the cat, so it looks like I'll be using the 172 linkage as that fits tighter to the floor than the Twingo one.

I've also been playing with the fuel pump/collector/regulator. The PH2 172 has the regulator in the tank, I'd hoped to just drop the 172 collector into the Twingo tank, it's not as easy as that as the Twingo tank has walls around the pickup that clash with the clio collector. I'm not sure if the tanks are close enough in depth to allow the 172 collector to be used if I cut the walls out . I'd hoped that I could graft the regulator on the twingo collector, but it's moulded in, so not really possible. So, I have a few choices:

1 - cut out the walls and use the 172 collector - need to confirm depth, and I'm not sure how sucessful the cutting will be...

2 - get a PH1 fuel rail and regulator and use the Twingo collector (maybe with the 172 pump fitted - if it will fit)

3 - fit a 3 bar regulator on the bulkhead keeping the PH2 fuel rail, and the Twingo collector.

Anyone got any useful bits or suggestions?

Pictures show the plenum dropped onto the engine with the engine in it's new reclined position, there are cms to spare, and it looks like the bonnet will not need to have a bulge Not much space to get the inlet pipe in, but a bit of hacksaw work will see something fitting..
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely options to 2 and 3 make the most sense as it will allow you to keep the standard fuel gauge?If you did manage to fit the 172 tank sender/pump/regulator unit into the twingo tank you'd have to run an aftermarket fuel gauge and I thought you didnt want the dash cluttered with extras?Plus option one sounds like a right arse ache.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much space to get the inlet pipe in, but a bit of hacksaw work will see something fitting..
    You know i kinda admire you in the way that nothing bothers you one bit, if it don't fit you will make it fit.. Thats the exact attitude you need on a project like this and so far it looks impressive...

When you take the twingo sender unit out is there a pump strapped to the side of the sender unit ?
    Just i know where there is a company who does after market higher flow fuel pumps to the exact size of say your twingo one...

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, in my trip to my local scrappy today looking for ICV to which I had no success as it looked someone had already pilferd them all (will just control idle with the throttle body adjuster for the accelrtor for now) anyway I managed to get a bosch 3bar fpr and the clip that goes in the phase 1 rail if you want them there yours.
    Last edited by James5; 02-05-2009 at 23:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Andrew, in my trip to my local scrappy today looking for ICV to which I had no success as it looked someone had already pilferd them all (will just control idle with the throttle body adjuster for the accelrtor for now) anyway I managed to get a bosch 3bar fpr and the clip that goes in the phase 1 rail if you want them there yours.
    that'd be great, I don't suppose you managed to get the bit of fuel pipe with the joiner for the fuel rail?

Post Thanks / Like

that'd be great, I don't suppose you managed to get the bit of fuel pipe with the joiner for the fuel rail?

I got about 5-6" of the small bit of the pipe that has the push on type fitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I got about 5-6" of the small bit of the pipe that has the push on type fitment.
    I'm a bit lost, can you take a picture?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit lost, can you take a picture?

Let me go find the camera

Edit - Picture added
    Last edited by James5; 03-05-2009 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like

that's perfect, you're a star

Post Thanks / Like

Running yet andrew ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a bit slack on the 'actual work' front, but have been gathering a few odds and ends. Thanks to James for the requlator, clip, and pipe I bought a 172 PH1 fuel rail from Renault, this moves the regulator from the tank to the engine, and allows me to use the Twingo collector with the 172 pump in the tank. I also bought a new Twingo fuel filter, and 172 Cup rear brake pressure regulator as I intend to use the 172 rear brakes without ABS. I also bought some 8mm ID fuel pipe to make up the fuel lines, unfortunately I screwed up the size of the clips, so need to get some more of the right size

This evenings 'actual work' has been making up parts for the rear engine mount. But first I did the nice easy job of fitting the top mounts onto the front coilovers - turned out to be a real fiddle to get them to seat correctly, but it's done now

In a previous post I'd modified a GTT rear mount buy cutting and welding some 2x1 box onto it, the engine is currently sat in place with a jack under that mount, the angles have been tweeked to make the exhaust line up nicely. To make the rest of the engine part of the mount I bought a Powerflex universal poly mount - the biggest they did, and 'found' some 2" bar and some 2" box. First job tonight was to drop the box into the mill, and with a 44mm hole saw cut semicircles out of the end. Next was to bore the 2" bar out to 38mm to fit the bush, I cut the end off, and turned it down to 60mm long. Finally I turned the centre down to 44mm so that it sat nicely on the end of the 2" box. Sounds simple enough, but that took me all evening

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 172 PH1 fuel rail from Renault
    You shoulda asked!! How much did that cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    You shoulda asked!! How much did that cost?
    do I have to think of everything

was about £15

I've booked the 29th off, will you be at the Pod?

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 choices with the drive train, use the twingo driveshafts, hubs, and suspension, and make a caliper bracket so that the 172 brakes could be used, or use the 172 driveshafts, hubs, and brakes, adapting the hubs to 172 the Twingo suspension. I'm going to try the latter, and hopefully the 172 shafts will work out OK.

The 172 is a fair bit beefier than the Twingo stuff, the obvious differences are that the hub is 3mm thicker where the damper bolts on, uses 14mm bolts instead of 12mm bolts, and has 54mm between bolt centres rather than 52mm.

First things first, I need to machine some thickness off the 172 damper mount. I've been wondering how this could be done on my mill for a while, this is what I came up with.

-clamped a bit of tool plate in the vice, and ran a cutter over the top face to true it up.

-drilled 2x 10.5mm holes 54mm apart, tapped them M12, and counterbored 14mm dia

-made 2 steel dowels 14mm OD, 12mm ID, and pressed them into the counterbores

-sat the hub over the dowels and fitted 1 M12 bolt, this allows me to machine 1.5mm off the face where the bolt isn't, then move the bolt to the second hole to continue machining off the rest of the face. 1 bolts holds in down OK, and the dowels stop anything spinning.

-flip the hub over and machine 1.5mm off the other side in the same way.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Some inspiration for you Andy...

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

did you already remove the cap from the fuel tank ? im having the same problem in my twingo turbo... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FQ200turbo View Post

did you already remove the cap from the fuel tank ? im having the same problem in my twingo turbo... lol
    problems removing the pipes? I got them off, but have since bought a tool off ebay, not tried it yet....

like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-PRO-TOOLS-3...3%3A1|294%3A50

Post Thanks / Like

problems removing the pipes? I got them off, but have since bought a tool off ebay, not tried it yet....

like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-PRO-TOOLS-3...3%3A1|294%3A50
    no, the cap to get the fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FQ200turbo View Post

no, the cap to get the fuel pump
    ahhh, big screwdriver and a hammer

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, big screwdriver and a hammer
    loool

Post Thanks / Like

I've not totally stopped working on it, only almost....

I've been swapping the 172 gear linkage into the Twingo to give clearance to the cat, I may still need to tweek the length, not sure yet.

The rear mount is coming along nicely, as soon as I get a free evening where I'm not roped into being a removal man, drunk, dinner guest etc. I'll have a crack at welding in on. I'll take some pics when there is something more to show.

Drilled the bottom damper mount to 14mm and offset a mm to fit the 172 hubs, I'll leave the top one until I bolt everything up and check the camber.

Added a bit more bracing to the fabricated front engine mount - it's location was a bit undefined, it won't be once I weld the bits on...

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

The rear mount is coming along nicely, as soon as I get a free evening where I'm not roped into being a removal man, drunk, dinner guest etc.
    Being a socialite seems to be hampering your progress Andrew!

Post Thanks / Like

Being a socialite seems to be hampering your progress Andrew!
    tell me about it

National day is just around the corner, and I really want to play on the track.

Post Thanks / Like

no, I'm not going to sit in your garden eating ice cream, I'm going to do some welding....

The rear mount is now pretty much tacked in place, the new bush housing is tacked onto the subframe, and now just needs tacking onto the bracket on the engine. I'm looking forward to removing the engine and subframe so that I can weld everything the right way up. I don't like being showered with sparks

Back to being a removal man / socialite tomorrow night, but might get chance to play more on Friday evening/ Saturday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing this at ND mate.

Chop chop

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

kin'ell thats gona be a stiff rear mount!!

Post Thanks / Like

big engine + small car = not much space for engine to flop about in

The poly mount is pretty thick, I can always drill holes in it to soften it off a bit, that said, I'll bet it's not as stiff as a mini engine mount. (certainly not as stiff as the mount in my GTT )

Post Thanks / Like

We need to build him a REAL mount marrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Tonights fun..

finished tacking up the rear mount.
    pulled the engine out
    removed the subframe
    did a bit of bracket welding
    checked the cam timing, it's out so I need to set it right.
    pulled off the gearbox, checked the clutch, it looks to have been replaced, as has the flywheel, all OK.
    removed the flywheel to check the crank seal, it's weaping, so it looks like I know why the bottom of the engine/gearbox is oily.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a home made cam alignment tool, if you need a loan.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to do the cambelt on my 172, any takers...*cough cough...SCOFF*...

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, drop me a pm if you need to loan it spooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    I have a home made cam alignment tool, if you need a loan.
    I have an alignment tool, need to make something to lock the cam pullies and crank.

Any idea what the part number for the crank seal is?

Post Thanks / Like

PM...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea what the part number for the crank seal is?
    77 03 087 224 CRANK SEAL M2 £14.81

Double check that before ordering though.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

8mm punch or rod to lock the crank off (feed it through the block, bottom right hand corner at the front behind the star head bolt).

I have the cam locking tool, albeit home brew, or you can buy the real tool from ebay these days it seems.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

But you mean the tool to lock the pulleys themselves. I've never bothered though, you find that if you de-grease the mating surfaces as you are supposed to, then lube the bolt, the pulleys do not turn as you torque them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    8mm punch or rod to lock the crank off (feed it through the block, bottom right hand corner at the front behind the star head bolt).

I have the cam locking tool, albeit home brew, or you can buy the real tool from ebay these days it seems.
    I've got the ebay C shaped cam alignment tool, and pin for the crank. I'll probably make something to lock the pullies, it's only a couple of triangular bits of ally and a bolt.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the cam locking kit from when i did Millie's if you want a lend!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    77 03 087 224 CRANK SEAL M2 £14.81

Double check that before ordering though.
    that number seemed to work ok, ordered the crank seal, camshaft bungs, and new bumper bolts. The seals and bungs were on the shelf, but the bolts will be in on Thursday, guess that's a road trip on Thursday lunchtime then...

I'm thinking about replacing the steering arms, trackrod ends, wishbones, bushes, and bottom ball joints.

Post Thanks / Like

iv'e just done the crank seal on the 225. I had to drive the seal in a couple of mm further to miss the deep scoring from the original seal. Seems to be ok.