Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Boost setting

Trying to set my boost up to roughly 14psi.
    Plumbed in my boost gauge between the ecu and bottom of carb.
    Went for a test drive and was reading 12psi, fair enough....I then plumbed in the boost gauge to the top of the turbo...went for a drive.....was boosting to over 20psi. I know it will lose some psi through the carb, should I turn it down at the actuator as i don't run a bleed valve? I don't want it to go pop! What psi should i aim for at the turbo for roughly 14psi at carb bottom??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boost setting

id say you are losing alot somewhere along the line. you usually lose maybe 1-2psi across the carb???
    have you checked your one way valves and all the carb/manifold gaskets for leaks?
    i'd also make sure you aint got a leaky 'dumb valve'....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    id say you are losing alot somewhere along the line. you usually lose maybe 1-2psi across the carb???
    have you checked your one way valves and all the carb/manifold gaskets for leaks?
    i'd also make sure you aint got a leaky 'dumb valve'....
    Hi Mate
    I don't have a dump valve so that solves that. Pretty sure I don't have a leak at the carb or manifold as have replaced the manifold gasket..is the best way to check this by spraying brake cleaner to see if the idle hunts? Where are the one way valves?? Is it correct aswell if I take the turbo to intercooler pipe off then cover it up with my hand is should stall...but keep going if there is a leak?

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hijack this thread but may i just confirm them that to find if you have a boost leak , you take a boost reading from the actuator hose on the turbo, then take one from the carb bottom and compare them to see how much you loose through the carb, and if you loose more than a few psi , you have a boost leak.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    sorry to hijack this thread but may i just confirm them that to find if you have a boost leak , you take a boost reading from the actuator hose on the turbo, then take one from the carb bottom and compare them to see how much you loose through the carb, and if you loose more than a few psi , you have a boost leak.
    That is what I have done I get 12psi at carb bottom and 20psi at turbo....just need to know how to find the leak now...??????

Post Thanks / Like

dont go spraying brake cleaner on it there is a sticker on the can saying highly flammable. try water and fairy liquid out of a squirty bottle. can you show us a picture of were exactly your plumbing it into mate

Post Thanks / Like

Could be pressure loss across i/c core & boost hoses. I assume you have an fmic plumbed in as per your pics.

Id still pressure up the system with a compressor & check for leaks.

I lose 6lb boost from turbo to inlet manifold with my frontera fmic, no leaks.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    dont go spraying brake cleaner on it there is a sticker on the can saying highly flammable. try water and fairy liquid out of a squirty bottle. can you show us a picture of were exactly your plumbing it into mate
    will take some snaps in my lunch and post this afternoon

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right here goes.
    Pic1 - This is where the boost gauge was plumbed into first at the side of the turbo, reading 20+ psi.
    Pic2 and Pic3 - Boost gauge plumbed in between top of actuator and bottom of carb, reading 12psi
    Pic4 - Boost gauge plumbed in between ecu and inlet manifold, reading 10psi

All I want to do is get to 14-15psi at the carb bottom....how do i do this?
    Do i need to shorten the actuator rod more? or plumb in a bleed valve between top of actuator and bottom of carb?

the turbo is a stage 1 turbo technics with uprated actuator so it should be capable of 15psi.

Please advise
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry pic4 should be circled like this

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid question but are you blanking off the small pipe outlet in picture 1 when not in use?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that outlet from the turbo was blocked up when testing other locations!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help u but great pics

Post Thanks / Like

the hose in picture 3 will have fuel vapour in it....be careful.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No one know how I can reach 15psi at the carb base??
    Just thought the only place I havent plumbed in the boost gauge is the carb top, I will see what reading I get from there if I get nearer 15psi i will settle for that!!

Post Thanks / Like

My boost gauge is plumbed in between the carb and AEI. Set to 15psi where it is. God knows how much it is at the turbo.. 17 - 18 I hope..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sy5GTT View Post
    My boost gauge is plumbed in between the carb and AEI. Set to 15psi where it is. God knows how much it is at the turbo.. 17 - 18 I hope..
    I reckon it will be a hell of alot more than 20psi!! How have you got 15psi between carb and AEI??? did you adjust it at the actautor or do you have a bleed valve......whay can't I get 15psi at the carb and AEI!!!???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAGOONEY View Post
    I reckon it will be a hell of alot more than 20psi!! How have you got 15psi between carb and AEI??? did you adjust it at the actautor or do you have a bleed valve......whay can't I get 15psi at the carb and AEI!!!???

On the actuator mate. You should only lose 2 maybe 3 psi as has been said. If your turbo is producing 20psi and carb base is 10 - 12psi then you must have a leak between the turbo and carb base.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sy5GTT View Post
    On the actuator mate. You should only lose 2 maybe 3 psi as has been said. If your turbo is producing 20psi and carb base is 10 - 12psi then you must have a leak between the turbo and carb base.
    I was getting 20psi from the boost gauge being plumbed directly into this outlet on the turbo. Then when plumbed between the aei and bottom of carb 12psi...I can't find a leak anywhere..........I'm just gonna give in and settle for 12psi

Post Thanks / Like

Dont give in, it isnt good for your turbo and really not good for you as the car will feel boring. Stick with and do it right.