Post Thanks / Like

Rear Suspension

Hello

When I get home I am goin to fit my coilovers and get the 5 slammed on the ronals. It is Greg and never been lowered, so will the torsion bars be a complete pain in the hoop, would I be better to buy a new rear axle???

Cheers

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear Suspension

They can be a b*tch when they're siezed If they pull out OK then it's pretty easy going. I used to use a 4lb slide hammer with an old head bolt welded on the end, that got most of them out. Some guys swear by the bolt, washer and bit of tube method (to make a puller). The real stuborn ones would need some heat on the center block where the bars meet in the middle of the axle. Plus gas helps a lot too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    They can be a b*tch when they're siezed If they pull out OK then it's pretty easy going. I used to use a 4lb slide hammer with an old head bolt welded on the end, that got most of them out. Some guys swear by the bolt, washer and bit of tube method (to make a puller). The real stuborn ones would need some heat on the center block where the bars meet in the middle of the axle. Plus gas helps a lot too.

I dont have a CLUE about torsion bars so a think al stick it to a garage to get leveled, so the skirt sits level!

I was just wondering if its worth buyin a new axle as the garage will obvioulsy charge me the time for fu**in about with it

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Will the new (second hand ?) axle be any better though ? I don't think you can buy a new one. Find a small reputable place to do it, larger places are more likely to give up the second it turns into hard work. You sometimes have to take the rear plastic arches off to make room for the slide hammer, if the garage decides to do it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Torsion bars are ok, before id lowered mine i was a bit put off, but once you get working on it there pretty simple. some good guides about just follow those and yourl have no problem.

I will emphasis 1 tip though

the week building up to lowering, pop off caps daily and spray with penetrating oil

Post Thanks / Like

Dont set it up so the sills are level, you want the front a little lower than the rear

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...low...