Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange noise on slight turn help

Hello,
    Ok so I have a rubbing/grinding noise this is not over loud on straight road but is these as the car slows down. The most noise I get is on slight long turns more so left but also both ways, I get the noise to become more vivid. I can also feel vibration though the steering wheel and pedals on the slow turns. I also have developed a squeak when i come to a slow stop on/off brake some times. If this is the same issue or another. This is coming from the drives side tho.
    So I have changed rear wheel bearings 2 times as the first ones made no difference but i know this needed doing to fix a rear noise i was having, I was hoping for this to be it and it was just rezing though the car , as always it was not lol and now i am sure its coming from the front passengers side. I have also cleaned down disks for the squeak and grinding just in case and changed the drivers side drive shaft.

Would there be any way my top mount rubbers could of perished and its making this noise more so on the weight of the car on turns? Other thought is gearbox layshaft {i pray not!} What do these sound like when there is a issue? I have no issue with gear changes or pull no crunching noises too noise dose not go away if i pull clutch and is not on idle.
    I am going to change passengers driveshaft and also redo gearbox oil any best way to do the gearbox oil and what oil.
    Any other ideas would be great!
    Its driving me up the bend but i suppose it not gotten any worse and i drive it every day.
    Thanks

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange noise on slight turn help

Could be CV joint so changing it should prove or disprove that.

When mine 5GTT outer ones wore it was because the gaiter had a small split and some grease had leaked out.

Made a squeaking grinding noise some of the time.

To refill gearbox oil, there is a large nut at the front of the gearbox. A funnel with a flexible long neck is needed really as that makes it easy.

There is a small article here which may be of help: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...7493#post47493