Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Volvo B18ft bottom end with a 1.7 gtx head with Carb

Hi all

Just a quick question.
    What would be the reason to use a 1.7 gtx head and Carb with a Volvo B18ft bottom end, rather than using fuel injection?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Volvo B18ft bottom end with a 1.7 gtx head with Carb

I can't see any real good reason. Maybe the n/a cam and bigger valves? Either way, you loose the efi which is much more refined than tuning the carb to work on a different engine.

Prima racing did the 1.7 conversion years ago with the carb. How good it was I'm not sure. Markey Mark on here is your man for the 1.7 engines.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose a lot comes down to cost, aftermarket ECUs can be expensive, especially when you add a set of injectors a RR time on the initial setup.

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of the reason's i did this conversion on my mates purple 5, the cost of building a 1.7 turbo on carb was considerably cheaper than efi
    Up to 20psi it was good but after this the carb just physically can't deliver enough fuel for the engine, i tried many different jets sizes and even at 20psi its jetted hugely larger than a 25psi carb on a 1.4
    I got to admit though, for what is basically 2 standard engines bolted together it motors! Really impressed with the torque and ability to spin a T28 up
    I was going carb route too but after seeing it not coping i've gone EFI and my mate will be too if he decides he wants to keep the car now, he's undecided about selling! Lol!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.