Post Thanks / Like

The rheostat main heater control unit and regulates the heater

Can this be changed with out taking the dash out I changed my frank it was rusted badly after pulling it out I noticed the black wire was totaly loose a corowded away from the rheostat so it needs changing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The rheostat main heater control unit and regulates the heater

No...it would be impossible..

but if you can locate the heater wiring from another box and wiring loom from the controls you can bypass the fk awkward set up...

run new wires to the fan by drilling a hole in the air box from the drivers footwell, plug the replacement wiring to the controls and the replacement rheostat, the rheostat to the new wire to the fan and ding dong it'll spin..

i jammed my rheostat behind the clock in the dash inside a piece of boost hose to protect it.. it really needs moving to somewhere that gets airflow, hence it's originally in the air box below the fan, but high in the scuttle should be ok.

There are sealed rheostats with heatsinks available from other vehicles.

This is is a bodge but I had mine sorted in under 30 minutes

if your an oe lover then good luck and have a fun weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlashbangGtt View Post
    No...it would be impossible..

but if you can locate the heater wiring from another box and wiring loom from the controls you can bypass the fk awkward set up...

run new wires to the fan by drilling a hole in the air box from the drivers footwell, plug the replacement wiring to the controls and the replacement rheostat, the rheostat to the new wire to the fan and ding dong it'll spin..

i jammed my rheostat behind the clock in the dash inside a piece of boost hose to protect it.. it really needs moving to somewhere that gets airflow, hence it's originally in the air box below the fan, but high in the scuttle should be ok.

There are sealed rheostats with heatsinks available from other vehicles.

This is is a bodge but I had mine sorted in under 30 minutes

if your an oe lover then good luck and have a fun weekend.
    iv just ordered a new one so I'm going to leave it till next weekend have you ever took the dash out is it a job . My carpets etc are all out already.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had just fitted my dash so wasn't taking it out again... if you aren't caged and the seats come out easy you'll be fine..

its not a fun job, but if your willing to do it then go nuts..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlashbangGtt View Post
    I had just fitted my dash so wasn't taking it out again... if you aren't caged and the seats come out easy you'll be fine..

its not a fun job, but if your willing to do it then go nuts..
    iv got every thing out from the respray . Only front screen in doors on etc . I got away with out taking the dash out from the respray but it's looking like I'm going to have to .

iv red some were the heater is held in by two 10 mm bolts at the top.?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The fascia in held into three clips just under the windscreen. One each side that I unclipped easily enough. But one in the middle that just wouldn't let go. I broke the fascia with the pulling. One way is to get a lever under there and pry it out on the clip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The fascia in held into three clips just under the windscreen. One each side that I unclipped easily enough. But one in the middle that just wouldn't let go. I broke the fascia with the pulling. One way is to get a lever under there and pry it out on the clip.
    I'm going to have a look on Saturday if any one fancy giving me a hand . But No doubt I will jump up one eve after work and just start undoing every thing till I get the bugger out. Cheers for the advice

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was "repaired" years ago by my auto electrician. He cut away a bit of the air box (you can't see this without looking down into it) and re-soldered some wiring. It's still going fin and that was over 10 years ago! Have a look and see if it's possible to do the same with yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Mine was "repaired" years ago by my auto electrician. He cut away a bit of the air box (you can't see this without looking down into it) and re-soldered some wiring. It's still going fin and that was over 10 years ago! Have a look and see if it's possible to do the same with yours?
    Top man my auto Electrican reckons he can do something like that or replace it and recons the dash does not need coming out he's proper old school so knows all the old school cars I will give feed back when he has been.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very much like my auto electrician! It does sounds like a bodge but honestly it's an option worth looking into. Like I said mine has been fine for over a decade now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Sounds very much like my auto electrician! It does sounds like a bodge but honestly it's an option worth looking into. Like I said mine has been fine for over a decade now
    We got it all done he took the dash out and replaced it along with the matrix so all good now just a couple of broke dash clips
    Likes Matt Cole, Trevhib liked this post