Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot Start Issue

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi All
    I am a bit of a Noob and just purchased my first R5 last week after looking for a solid car for over a year.
    Loving the car and puts a massive smile on my face whenever I drive it.
    Got resto plans over the winter and will post pics and updates as i go.

Got a slight problem...... Already and not sure if anyone has had the same.

The car starts fine first time on choke from cold, however after a run, if I stop for a while it seems to struggle to start again and takes a while and also has a bit of spluttering extremely low idle (even with foot on accelerator)

My first thoughts were that it is a fuelling issue but after a bit of reading I found that this seems to be a fairly common problem.

If anyone knows how this can be solved or has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot Start Issue

they all suffer from hot start probs, but if the anti perc works then this helps, otherwise throttle to the floor to start when warm

Post Thanks / Like

I would fit the anti perc fan mate. Ignore all the haters and no it all's. The anti perc was fitted for a reason.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!
    It does have the anti perc fan on it.
    Its not the end of the world, just a bit annoying that it takes a while to start and struggles a bit for a few mins once it does.

Post Thanks / Like

does the anti perc work correctly? as matt said they were fitted for a reason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    does the anti perc work correctly? as matt said they were fitted for a reason
    It should have two stage switching. One sensor on the turbo heats shield and one on the manifold. Either / or will trigger the fan. Run on will be 10mins plus dependant on how hot everything is. Flow rate from the fan drops off with age so check the fan function. It's a brushed motor and the rotor commutator segment insulation breaks down.

They were removed mainly due to potential fire risk of the wiring harness due to the motor seizing. Renault recalled all gtts to fit an inline fuse. I think it was 5amp. There may still be some uprated fans kicking about which delivered a greater flow rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Other things to check are carb function, fuel relay function (run on for 5 seconds if engine not started) and fuel pump function. I would replace all due to age including fuel filter. Also consider a carb rebuild if it looks to be due (filthy and weeping fuel)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Other things to check are carb function, fuel relay function (run on for 5 seconds if engine not started) and fuel pump function. I would replace all due to age including fuel filter. Also consider a carb rebuild if it looks to be due (filthy and weeping fuel)
    Thanks Matt, will be having a proper look at the weekend. Appreciate all of the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

No problem matey. You should not accept a starting problem. Imagine how much flack Renault would have got if they were all like that from new?