Post Thanks / Like

What turbo is this?

I bought a complete engine a few months back to use for parts, and got this turbo with it. I had no reason to think it was anything different from a standard T2, so I put it on the shelf. This evening I offered up my standard downpipe and found the exhaust housing is a T25/28 style, so I think my bargain engine has become even more of a bargain than I originally thought. question is can anyone tell me the spec? It's got AR64 on the exhaust housing, a turbo technics tag on it with S116 (I think) and says airsearch on the compressor housing?

Last edited by Matty; 24-01-2015 at 22:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What turbo is this?

The best way to identify is to whip off the Comp Housing and measure the inducer and exducer dimensions. A lot of the names on the casting apply to lots of different size turbos. Airesearch is a Garrett trademark name.

Post Thanks / Like

Look inside the exhaust and compressor housings. Post up any numbers stamped inside.

Looks like a t2. As above the turbine and compressor wheels will need to be measured to see if they are o.e or not.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stage 1 hybrid turbo

T2 60/.47

130-150 BHP

According to the tag details S116

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I've just had a look on the turbo technics site and it says it's only good for 13psi....seems a be conservative?

Is it worth using over a standard T2 or is it going to be a bit laggy on stocks cams, boost etc?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I had the same turbo on my 5 years ago and that was pretty stock and it performed well with minimum lag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Thanks, I've just had a look on the turbo technics site and it says it's only good for 13psi....seems a be conservative?

Is it worth using over a standard T2 or is it going to be a bit laggy on stocks cams, boost etc?
    Like the std T2, the Compressor Map will indicate that anything above 13psi will be outside the efficient range. That's not to say you can't run a little more quite safely. 15psi would be fine I think. Some have run 18 psi, but the turbo will not last long at that level of boost!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think i'll stick it on for now, to trial out my downpipe fitment . Then swap it out later on for the TD04 that im planning on running when i want to run more boost.