Went to a personal trainer tonight to try and get the fitness back up
    I swear my legs are gonna fall off
    Dreading trying to get outta bed in the morning
    Any recovery tips lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jesus i cant walk !!!

Lol.

I'm back at the gym tomorrow from a two week rest!

Pain will be felt.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just signed up today. Been a while since last saw the gym

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a gym?

Post Thanks / Like

I had done 17 lengths of an Olympic sized pool by 730AM this morning.

I was completely dead, I couldn't lift my arms to put my hoodie on, bad times. #shattered

Post Thanks / Like

LOTS of stretching. I also find a relaxing swim helps a lot too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    What's a gym?
    Exactly!

It makes me think of the Simpsons when homer walks pays the gym. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Continuity and flexibility. The two keywords

Post Thanks / Like

Warm downs and stretches help me, plus a nice bath. You will find out it hurts more on the 2nd day though!!!

I used to workout 5 times a week, really heavily, but this is the first year in my life since I was about 15 years old that I have not lifted a weight in 12 months. So so so annoying as working out is the one thing i love, but I just havent had any spare time due to doing all the housework and looking after baby. Ive not even had spare time to get in the garage and work on the 5 since October.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well todays not as bad as i thought it would be . Legs are stiff and left elbow hurts but otherwise not too bad
    Hope your wrong about the 2nd day being worse cos im goin back for more punishment tomorrow night lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wait until tomorrow, if you've done a proper job it'll ache more the next day. Lol

plenty of protein will help with recovery. I've got my first session of the year after a two week break. Always frustrating after time off the gym, and having to drop weights.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in last night after abit of time away from the gym, felt great afterwards thats why we consider going again and getting back into it, no pain no gain lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I took up gym in May last year. Massive difference and I can bench double what I started at in September. In fact, I'm really enjoying bench.
    But on the Sunday before Xmas and on Xmas Eve, we went really early for bench club and the gym was really cold. I stretched and warmed up more than I ever do. However, since then, my shoulder is goosed. So I've laid off anything upper body so as to try and let it recover. Did a leg day for the first time in a while last week and it ached like hell for three days! DOMS!

Can't wait to be recovered now.

Post Thanks / Like

First day there yesterday, hope I can lift pints by weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    I took up gym in May last year. Massive difference and I can bench double what I started at in September. In fact, I'm really enjoying bench.
    But on the Sunday before Xmas and on Xmas Eve, we went really early for bench club and the gym was really cold. I stretched and warmed up more than I ever do. However, since then, my shoulder is goosed. So I've laid off anything upper body so as to try and let it recover. Did a leg day for the first time in a while last week and it ached like hell for three days! DOMS!

Can't wait to be recovered now.
    I never bother stretching at all. If im doing say bench for example, id start off at maybe 30% of max weight, do 12 reps, then increase that to maybe 50% of max for 10/12, then 75% for 10 and thats me all warmed up ready to go into heavy.

Last time I had a lay off the weights for 6 months my bench halved. So im dreading what my bench will be now having not lifted for 12 months.

I have been getting some running in, by getting up at 6am and doing 4 miles before I get ready for work, although when the weather has been -3 and sheet ice everywhere its not been easy.

Post Thanks / Like

The advice on stretching is as Rabbit says. You start by doing whatever the movement is that you intend to go heavy on but with lighter weight and build up.

So no stretching beforehand but stretching afterwards is very beneficial.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats exactly what I usually do guys.

I usually do a couple of sets with just the bar, really deep, holding it in the lowered position. Then up it say to 60Kg for 2 x 10 and then up to 80-100 (insert max weight here). Depending how Im feeling!

This time, I did as above but it was really cold, so I did a load of stretching on the high bars, smith machine (fully up) etc etc in between sets.

Still not right today, two weeks later. Ive been on the paracetamol/Ibuprofen for a few days now so will see how I feel by Monday. WHich reminds me, Im due some pills!

Post Thanks / Like

Aye, sometimes injuries will just happen. Hopefully your shoulder will ease off if you give it enough time

Also, joints, ligaments and tendons take longer to adapt to a new activity/weight than muscle. You have started something that's new to your body and quickly moved it on/up in a few months. You need to be careful to allow enough time for your whole body to make the ongoing adjustment.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cod liver oil to prevent/reduce injuries. It's probably an old wives tale and has no scientific benefit, but I've been lifting weights since 2003 and I've never had an injury. I'll get an injury now, you see.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of weights should I be lifting though. Was bench pressing 50kg with 5 lots of 5 reps, never bench pressed in my life before. Didn't quite finish the last 5 though. Couldn't do squats, arms don't go that far back 50kg deadlift, found that easy enough so will increase that weight. Done a few other exercises as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Weight training is a whole blinkin' science. The regime you choose needs to be individual to you and to your specific needs. Your recovery program is equally important if you want to stay injury free and progress.

Everybody is built differently. What you 'should' do/lift is what your body says is ok, and if you want to be stronger (as some just want to be fit or just maintain base strength), then push the envelope gradually, at a rate your body can handle without getting tweaks and niggles. Form is paramount and stretch at the end of as many of your sessions as you can be motivated to do. Have you got anyone around you to show you how to do the exercises properly?

One thing I recommend for any able bodied person is compound and dynamic exercises rather than static lifting. Oh and if you can't get your arms in the right position for squats then get more mobility quick smart in your shoulders/arms as squats are great!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes person who has done training before so he is showing me what to do. What I will try and do is squats but with no weight on the bar to see if can get better mobility like you say as any weight wouldn't be safe as cant hold grip as well due to arms not going back so well

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, you really need to be in the right position for squats. Good idea practising with just the bar, although sometimes a little weight helps with balance believe it or not.

Keep your back straight, stick your arse out and as you squat, the bar needs to stay in line with your ankles.

Post Thanks / Like

I never worry too much about the actual weight, its more the number of sets & reps. It also all depends on what your goals are.

Typically I tend to aim for 6->10 reps and would do about 6 sets. If I can hit 10 reps then I add weight and try to hit 10 next time. If too much weights on the bar and I can only do maybe 2 or 3 then I know ive overloaded it. After a few weeks you will get to know what weights you use for each exercise and as you get stronger you should see that weight which you could only hit 6 reps with, your now hitting 10 reps and so you increase the weight.

I keep a diary with all the exercises/weights in so I can review each week and see my progress.

If your starting off, the temptation for a lot of guys is to jack the weight up quickly and they dont concentrate on getting the correct form. Look at videos online to see what your form should look like on the different exercises.

Squats especially need decent form. I find doing them in just my socks best (rather than wearing trainers I mean, not that im b*llock naked wearing just socks) and I have to really concentrate on my form with them.

Another thing I do is try to do 3 different types of exercise for the same muscle group/s. So for chest id probably do flat bench, inclined bench and dumbbell flys. I might mix it up with some dips or switch from barbell bench to dumbbell bench. All keeps you interested and not bored with things.

Post Thanks / Like

Was trying it on the smith machine so just had to make sure my feet were in right position in first place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Was trying it on the smith machine so just had to make sure my feet were in right position in first place
    Smith Machine is a terrible piece of equipment. Forces you to lift in an unnatural movement. Id go for just using a normal squat rack & barbell. Or, if the place has it, use a power cage like ive got at home. That way, if you squat down and cant get back up, the support bars will take the weight. I use an olympic bar bell at home which is about 44kg alone, but i find when checking my squatting form, I only seem to start squatting correctly once added weight to the bar.

If your arms cant go back far enough to hold the barbell when squatting you can do other forms of squats, like front squats.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked up the front squat, don't think my knees would cope with that I need to build up the strength in those first

Post Thanks / Like

They got something like the power cage in the gym but not looked at it yet

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to say 2nd day was definately in more pain
    But went back to the trainer on the second day and feel real good today
    The first circuit was a struggle but it loosened me up and i was able to do alot more than the first night

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to get to the gym tomorrow. Biceps, triceps at least.
    Bloody shoulder!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigfoot this has loads of tips etc and he even goes through the training with you and has daily videos etc
    Best part is, it's free

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Bigfoot this has loads of tips etc and he even goes through the training with you and has daily videos etc
    Best part is, it's free

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html
    Cheers Dave, will give that a check out today. What don't help was doing Jujitsu last night, arms are now aching even more

Post Thanks / Like

Lol my legs have gone have not done legs for about 8 weeks and on wendsday went all out could just about walk out of the gym, now today I can barley sit down on the toilet when I got up. legs are a killer as we always on them and biceps are another killer for me if I have not been gym for awhile

Post Thanks / Like

I do one leg session a week. Being a codger (38), if I miss a leg session on one week, and then following week get back to it and do a normal session, my legs whinge the next day.

Me and my Mrs are fell runners. So it's legs Weds and a run at the wkend My left knee, that's had two ops, wont allow more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a go at fell running. Not many hills my way just loads of woods and fields.
    I have a off road marathon end of February and a 20 mile obstacle race in may which should be good,so trying to rack up the miles which ain't easy with a young family.

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, you're going a lot further than me. I can only do the shorter distances due to my knee, so 10k on the road and circa 14k if it's all soft ground.

Fell running has a fantastic social feel about it. Everyone is friendly and encouraging. We go as far north as Whaley Bridge (north of Buxton), and as far south as Cannock. We're in a great place for it.

Looks like you're in Peterborough?? Or Cambridge?? If travelling from PE, I know it's a little way off but look at the Rauceby Ripper nr Sleaford: http://theraucebyripper.webnode.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Rauceby ripper looks a good run.will have to look out for that one next year..

Post Thanks / Like

No chance of you getting to it this yr then? Looks like it's in 3wks. My Mrs won the ladies race last year (she's good but she doesn't win races very often), and they gave her £50 of vouchers to spend at the village gastro pub.

Post Thanks / Like

I started running again last year, was making good progress then on New Years Day I ended up injuring my leg whilst out running at 6am. Could barely walk for a week, and can still feel it now. Suspect i probably tore or strained my calf muscle or something similar as it feels like its around that area. But, as a result ive not been able to run since. Very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Running seems like the most natural and simple thing for a human body to do, until you actually start. And then you discover the minefield of injuries brought about by posture, over-training, or both. It's addictive and very rewarding though!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I have one of those niggly strains on my lower back at the moment whilst I'm out running. I can't work out why it's appeared either. Signs of old age. Only hurts when I'm running, I cycled 18 miles today and I didn't feel it once. Maybe I may have to buy some new running shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

No chance of you getting to it this yr then? Looks like it's in 3wks. My Mrs won the ladies race last year (she's good but she doesn't win races very often), and they gave her £50 of vouchers to spend at the village gastro pub.
    Don't think I will make this year, not ruled it out yet tho. I'm trying to get some long runs in at moment to build myself up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Yep I have one of those niggly strains on my lower back at the moment whilst I'm out running. I can't work out why it's appeared either. Signs of old age. Only hurts when I'm running, I cycled 18 miles today and I didn't feel it once. Maybe I may have to buy some new running shoes.
    Surprising when you trainers have worn out how many niggles you get. It normally affects my knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, trainers need replacing after only a few hundred miles of use. They look ok from the outside but in terms of doing their actual job they tail off very quickly after a certain distance (some are better than others).

Nad, regarding your back. Do you run with your back-side tucked in and relaxed in the shoulders?

Pig, if you're capable of 12miles on the road atm then you'll be more than fine doing 8miles at Rauceby

Post Thanks / Like

This was me a few years back.

I still train but just heavy weights which now hurts more than it used to!

With work and family I cant commit as much as I used to which doesn't do my mood any good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigsnake View Post
    Surprising when you trainers have worn out how many niggles you get. It normally affects my knees.
    Same here. I used to run in an old pair of nike`s then one day injured my left knee. It was only after then I went to a proper running shop where they get you on a treadmill, video your feet as you run, then slow mo it back and analyse your running style. They recommended me some particular running shoes which helped no end.

Now I know what type of shoes I need, I buy them online for half the price the running shop used to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    This was me a few years back.

I still train but just heavy weights which now hurts more than it used to!

With work and family I cant commit as much as I used to which doesn't do my mood any good!
    Looking good Matt. I know what you mean about moods. I find lifting helps destress me loads and its amazing how good you feel after a good workout. Unfortunately ive not lifted a weight since Feb last year. Longest time ive been away from them in my life. You can imagine how my moods are these days, and the wife wonders why I seem unhappy!

Post Thanks / Like

Blinkin' eck Matt! There's a lot of hard work and sacrifice there, top stuff mate. How do you get in the OE GTT seats, lol.

I used to be into weights more when I was younger (although never achieved anything like that, I was more power to weight oriented thanks to lightning metabolism), but now I run and do more body maintenance in the gym, muscle and strength reductions are obvious. You just can't keep it on.

Who are the three black fellas on the stage?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

Nad, regarding your back. Do you run with your back-side tucked in and relaxed in the shoulders?
    err pass normally I try one foot in front of the other I've purchased some new running shoes today, which absorbs alot more than most normal running shoes, so I'm hoping that will cure my back pain.

I was speaking to the sales assistant about how often I should change them and he said one customer comes in every week to buy a new pair

Post Thanks / Like

Probably Paula Radcliffe

Regarding your difficulties, we've come full circle and are back at what I said yday at 12:02 unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like

I ment to say I'm training to keep the miles up high trev. Saturday run at moment is between 15 - 20 miles. I will start tapering off in 3 weeks time.