Post Thanks / Like

Three months later

So after three months I finally have the v5 log book for the 5 on the doorstep today. It took that long as DVLA wanted to check with the previous owner since the vehicle had been untaxed and off their records for a number of years and I didn't get a v5. They got a reply and filed it without issuing papers.

But moan over and it is make my mind up time, do I take on restoring the car or not? My intention was to make it a useable classic not necessarily mint but I am now doubting if I will get round to it and disheartened by the rusty floor which I didn't notice when buying it.

To help me decide I will be posting a shopping list of parts and jobs, I would much appreciate help on where to get said parts, what to expect to pay for them and where to do the bodywork.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three months later

If you get a list up people on here will help out with parts and as much advice as is needed. Almost all parts can be sourced from somewhere and some people may even donate bits if your lucky. It may take you longer than expected but would be a worthwhile investment

Post Thanks / Like

Posted my parts list in the wanted section.

I will also require advice on bodywork for under the windscreen, floor, front jacking points and small parts on the sills.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get immediate repsonses to bodywork questions, there are tons of resto threads with great pics that have tackled these specific areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr2haz View Post
    Posted my parts list in the wanted section.

I will also require advice on bodywork for under the windscreen, floor, front jacking points and small parts on the sills.
    Are you handy with a welder or will you be paying someone to do the work. Nearly all 5`s tend to rot/rust in the same areas and so the repairs you mention are very common for people on here to fix.

The front jacking points for example, you can buy for £35 each brand new from Renault. I did one on my car a few months back along with sill repairs. I didnt bother buying a new sill, I just used a sheet of steel to replace the rotten bits I cut out. Mine was badly rotted all around the front jacking point so I had to refabricate the curved part of the sill and make both the inner & outer sill. Once you cut out the old metal and get started with the welder it is pretty easy work. I did the jacking point & sill one Sunday and that was taking my time over it - removing body kit etc first.

The floorpan you can repair in the same way, just cut the rotten bit out and weld in metal sheet.

Under the windscreen, it depends on how bad it is. Mine is bubbling up a bit and I think I will be able to get away with just cutting that bit out & making up a replacement bit out of sheet steel. I have seen some which are beyond repair and so the owner has chopped that whole panel out of a doner car and welded in. If I remember correctly the scuttle panel is only avaliable in LHD now from renault new, so if you need a whole panel then you`ll be buying it 2nd hand.

If you are paying someone then get a few estimates for the work before deciding who to go with. If you are doing it yourself, then sheet metal is pretty cheap & so is welding wire. Fortunately with the GTT the jacking points and side sills etc are all hidden behind the bodykit, so it doesnt matter if your welding isnt 100% as noone will see it. As long as its a decent solid weld then you will be fine, it doesnt have to be pretty!

Finally, dont get too dishearted when you make a start. Its only when you start cutting out the old metal you will realise how bad things are. I assumed id just need a a jacking point on my car, but once I chopped it out I realised half the sill had also rotten away. Same with back bumper mounts etc... you start jabbing away with the screw driver & wire brush and hey presto what you thought was solid metal turns out just to be the mad rubbery sealant Renault slapped all over the car and the metal all rotted out from behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

The list is now up in the wanted section.

Unfortunately I have never welded, don't have the equipment or space to do welding.

I have had the car look at by a few people but would like some more quotes. I have purchased the front jacking point panels.