Post Thanks / Like

Thoresby sprint in car vid

Very tight sprint through lovely grounds at Thoresby Hall, Notts. Part of the course is defined by oil barrels some of which have tennis balls on them (really!!) with a second penalty for dislodging them.
    On my second timed run on Saturday I broke Tony Hart's record by .35 then found out ( 2 hours later ) that I'd had a penalty. Second practice on Sunday broke the record again only to suffer the same outcome ( penalty ). First timed run Sunday was on record splits up to the last hairpin and overcooked it running straight on. So this is a vid of my second and more conservative run which resulted in the throttle sticking wide open as I went over the line, threw off the alt/water pump belt which then boiled the coolant and at this moment I don't know if I've done the head, turbo or something else. Compression check tomorrow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiFghq54sOg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoresby sprint in car vid

Nice vid Quick thinking turning the engine off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    threw off the alt/water pump belt which then boiled the coolant and at this moment I don't know if I've done the head, turbo or something else. Compression check tomorrow

I snapped the belt going from 5th to 2nd at 90mph, carried on until I saw the water temp guage off the clock and throwing coolant out.
    Everything was ok. Hope your as lucky as I was.

Tough little engines these

Post Thanks / Like

Your car is so quick to accelerate through the gears. Sorry about the issue a rev limiter would have been handy there. Switching off you have to be careful you dont fall foul of the steering lock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Yellow* View Post
    I snapped the belt going from 5th to 2nd at 90mph, carried on until I saw the water temp guage off the clock and throwing coolant out.
    Everything was ok. Hope your as lucky as I was.

Tough little engines these
    I so hope you're right. The day of reckoning has arrived, I'm supposed to be doing final double header at Harewood this weekend as well

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Missing valve springs and worn oil seals, 4 damaged collets and not all missing bits in sump or head so my season ends now and a full rebuild commences. I was due to sell it but clearly the car does not want to go to a new home so I'll now take it to the next level with EFI/ECU and whatever else is needed to make it lighter, stronger, faster.........
    I should be at Harewood Hillclimb this weekend for the season ending double header and I'm leading the bloody chamionship, what a barsteward

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear that Ian, It would have been a truly remarkable performance to win the Harewood Championship in our 1980's shopping trolley. If only Harewood could be hit with a monsoon this WE. Better luck next year. R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    sorry to hear that Ian, It would have been a truly remarkable performance to win the Harewood Championship in our 1980's shopping trolley. If only Harewood could be hit with a monsoon this WE. Better luck next year. R
    Thanks for your comments Russell. I will be doing a rain dance from now to 5pm Sunday but I think it's fair to say my goose is well and truly cooked.
    The positive side of the fallout from Thoresby is that I will now be keeping it ( still hasn't got a name ) as it clearly wasn't enamoured at the prospect of being somebody else's plaything. So a full and more detailed rebuild will be carried out over the winter and I will certainly be going ADT and rev limiter
    Hope you enjoy Angelsey, look forward to locking horns with you again next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this. shame to end your season this way.

Michaels got a manifold for sale, cheer yourself up with some retail therapy.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...700#post383700

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From the video it looks like you switched the engine off really quickly, it's surprising the amount of damage that been done in a second or so.

The car looks really quick. I notice you use 1st gear for the hairpins, if I did that I think I'd get far too much wheelspin but then I guess the LSD helps you out there.

If you're going to be doing a rebuild please take some pictures and keep us updated and definitely invest in a rev limiter - well worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Ricky doing rebuild?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    From the video it looks like you switched the engine off really quickly, it's surprising the amount of damage that been done in a second or so.

The car looks really quick. I notice you use 1st gear for the hairpins, if I did that I think I'd get far too much wheelspin but then I guess the LSD helps you out there.

If you're going to be doing a rebuild please take some pictures and keep us updated and definitely invest in a rev limiter - well worth it!
    I think Sunday was just the straw that broke the camels back, or in this case numerous valve stem seals and collets. The car has done 20 events this season and my mindset is always to win (misguided I know) so it has had some stick. It had a full forged rebuild last winter but with the standard ignition and carb it's clearly been running way beyond it's intended tolerances. It will now be transported into the present day with EFI and ADT management, or whatever Scoff recommends when I visit him in a couple of months.
    When I bought the car a couple of years ago it was mainly because it was cheap but given how well it has performed for me I think I should repay the favour, show some loyalty and indulge it in a costly rebuild. How people can run 205's and the like is beyond me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy5 View Post
    Is Ricky doing rebuild?
    The block will be out tomorrow then we will have a few weeks to gather ourselves before Ricky tells me how much I need to spend.
    Without Ricky's help my season would have ended months ago - he's just brilliant.