Post Thanks / Like

Question, any BMW experts here?

Hi all. My Sister company car is now up for grabs & she has bought a brand new BM so doesn't want to buy it. I don't need another car, but I am considering changing the Scooby this year & would maybe like something else to run around in for a while & then sell it on.

Its racked up the miles though, so the question is..... should I steer clear or take a punt.

Brief details.....

2008 E92 320D coupe (twin turbo model)
    150K miles with Full BMW history
    Good all-round condition with only a couple of minor scrapes here & there.
    Tax & MOT till June
    Just had a big service & new tyres
    Mine for £5500.

I know that nobody has a crystal ball & things can, & often do go wrong, but at that mileage are key parts on their last legs with big bills around the corner?

I only do 10-12K tops a year, so what would it be worth a year or two down the road with more miles on. She has had it from new, so I am going to look at the service book details to see what's been done (any repair/warranty work) as she has kept absolutely every scrap of paperwork from day one.

I keep thinking things like DPF, DMF, Fuel pump, Injectors, turbo's...etc..... Plus the usual parts that wear over time

Any thoughts people......too expensive......to risky....?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question, any BMW experts here?

Is there a recent RTOC thread on the swirl flap thing on BMW diesels of this sort of age?? Wortha search Russ, some really good insight on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Trev. I did see those threads

I don't think swirl flaps are as much of an issue with this engine, or so I have read.....It appears the timing chain is though....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The price seems right to me. 2008 coupe is a nice car, i presume its an SE and not an M Sport? if its been serviced well and looked after you could have some cheap motoring ahead. Just bear in mind if something major does fail, it will be expensive.

Exhausts and CAT's would be my concern, but no more than a car a little older with less mileage

You dont need to worry about the swirl flaps on this engine, that was the E46.

Also, i'd check its the twin turbo? as i'm sure the 320d is a single turbo. They did a 123d which uses the more powerful 2.0 twin turbo diesel unit in the 1 series. I also know Alpina put the unit in as one of their 3 series models, but from the factory it will be a single turbo............i may be wrong. check the power, if its 177bhp its the single turbo.

A remap will see 200+ easy though with better MPG.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, your right, its the single turbo model

I had a good look over it & had a drive last night & its very tempting, but to risky for me tbh. I would be better adding the money onto the sale of my Scooby if I want a change really. Or actually getting my 5 legal again..lol.

Thanks for the help though guys