Post Thanks / Like

New Tax Law, Window Tax Disc's Scrap'd from 1st Oct 2014.

So soon you will no longer be able to sell a used car with tax or buy one with it. Monthly direct debt good idea, make it easier for those who only use their car during the summer months etc, but I'm sure your get done over extra percent for monthly option.

Sounds like another way to make more money to me, as sell your car mid month and lose out half month plus whoever bought your car then will have to tax it mid month, now add that to the 1,000's of cars sold daily, that will add up to a lot of extra cash flow.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I can see this being only a matter of time till they try the same with MOT's.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tax Law, Window Tax Disc's Scrap'd from 1st Oct 2014.

I'm pretty sure at the moment the charge for paying for road tax every six months is an added ten percent. When the new changes come into place, the overall cost of paying tax monthly is only five percent.

You're probably right about ending tax mid month though.

Post Thanks / Like

Tax = rip off of course there gonna be racking it in from this without doubt

Post Thanks / Like

how much is a year's tax for a 5?

Post Thanks / Like

£140

Post Thanks / Like

it's 400 euro here

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell. Over here they are pre-emission tax class so they're not to horrendous

Post Thanks / Like

Theres always a reason they do things and 9 times out of 10 its to make more money out of people.. ****ers! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVLA
    DVLA estimate that the scheme will cost £8 million to set up and will deliver annual net efficiency savings of £2 million by year three.
    They say saving, I think what they really mean is profit.

Quote Originally Posted by DVLA
    A typical Ford Focus driver who currently pays VED bi-annually and continues to do so would be £9 better off over the year in the direct debit scheme.
    Oh, silly me, they done this to save motorist money on car tax but yet fail to mention that unless you wait till the end of the month and sorn the car before putting it up for sale, a typical Ford Focus driver won't save £9.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-excise-dd.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Useful info

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

good idea this my clio 16v is £230 odd a year lol makes it easier for me ..just wish the money actually went on fixing the roads tbh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass J View Post
    good idea this my clio 16v is £230 odd a year lol makes it easier for me ..just wish the money actually went on fixing the roads tbh!
    That's the bit that really gets my goat. If anyone has ever driven through France their roads are amazing. Incredibly smooth. And yet, for whatever reason, in this country they're diabolical.

I don't know the policies on the way the roads are run in our country but I've often wondered whether more competition would keep the costs of repairing down and the quality of the work up. (Please don't take offence anyone that is in the highway maintainance sector, it's just my observation).

Post Thanks / Like

the councils get a set amount from the goverment for all there services and then work out how it is best spent. not easy when you are being told to cut cost and get more out of the cash you do get. you can apply for extra funding and the such but there are hoops to jump through and boxes to tick.
    its a crap situation that the cash gose into a pot and not back on the roads

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely clear windscreen!

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Lovely clear windscreen!

Feels a little naughty not displaying the disc, I renewed the "boost bus" tax yesterday for 12 months and all I have to prove is some crappy paper receipt.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I should remove mine, its out of date now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by royz View Post
    the councils get a set amount from the goverment for all there services and then work out how it is best spent.
    Oh, it's a good bit worse than that! If they don't spend their entire budget, they get it
    cut automatically. We notice this in Suffolk where there are few major roads. The
    number of annoying and futile alterations made to the roads is a joke. At one point on
    the A12 there were no less than 17 signs within a 100 yard stretch. Those, and the
    amount of white paint on the tarmac, meant that you were hard pressed on where to
    look first, and which sign to give priority to.

We've allowed these people to completely subjugate us by stealth. People now seem to
    drive everywhere at 40mph - even in 30 and 20 zones! Most of the time you want to be
    concentrating on what's moving in front of you, not be distracted by all the clutter! As
    for querying my subjugation claim - travelled the A149 in Norfolk last Thursday, different
    speed limit almost every other mile, various types of speed camera, and if that wasn't
    enough, they employ a mobile speed van there too. Then they claim they can't cut costs!

Rant over...

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass J View Post
    I'm still confused about what road tax actually contributes to. Council tax pays to repair roads, signs etc. so it doesn't go there

On the plus side, now when I clean a clients windscreen I don't have to put a tax disc back on or work around the horrible sticky ones

Post Thanks / Like

Clear windscreen would be nice, but not over here in Ireland you have to display tax/ins/mot

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowiepete View Post
    Oh, it's a good bit worse than that! If they don't spend their entire budget, they get it
    cut automatically. We notice this in Suffolk where there are few major roads. The
    number of annoying and futile alterations made to the roads is a joke. At one point on
    the A12 there were no less than 17 signs within a 100 yard stretch. Those, and the
    amount of white paint on the tarmac, meant that you were hard pressed on where to
    look first, and which sign to give priority to.

We've allowed these people to completely subjugate us by stealth. People now seem to
    drive everywhere at 40mph - even in 30 and 20 zones! Most of the time you want to be
    concentrating on what's moving in front of you, not be distracted by all the clutter! As
    for querying my subjugation claim - travelled the A149 in Norfolk last Thursday, different
    speed limit almost every other mile, various types of speed camera, and if that wasn't
    enough, they employ a mobile speed van there too. Then they claim they can't cut costs!

Rant over...

Regards,
    Steve
    Steve,

Thats gotta be bonkers, however am sure its pretty much the same in Norfolk too though! Cant make up their mind what is what lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    I'm still confused about what road tax actually contributes to. Council tax pays to repair roads, signs etc. so it doesn't go there
    Has nothing to do with the roads now I think, it just goes into the governments back pockets.

They assume car owners are rich. We pay tax on our earnings, tax on our savings as we save up to buy a car, then pay tax on the car if we buy a new one, have to pay road tax to use it on the road, then pay insurance tax on the insurance, then pay fuel tax on each litre of fuel we put in. Then on top of that pay council tax to help maintain the roads. We are probably taxed about 10 times just to be able to have a car on the road.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly a taxing situation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It's certainly a taxing situation!
    Somebody HAD to say it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post

On the plus side, now when I clean a clients windscreen I don't have to put a tax disc back on or work around the horrible sticky ones
    It goes towards saving the planet . I guess that's why you pay more the more you polute