Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Xmas investigation help needed

Right over Xmas I will be investigating the faults I have with my 5, I'm going to write a list of tools I have or I'm going to purchase before the break

Vernier gauge
    Torque wrench
    Socket set
    Dti gauge ( gonna buy one off ebay?)
    Mini drill bits

I wrote a thread on here about a month back saying I had a problem with the car feeling low on power so bad that it doesn't even feel turbod, i did a lot of the things people told me to do and I decided to do a compression test but when I took the spark plug out of cylinder 4 it pulled a helicoil out with it so ive now decided I'm going to take the head off to investigate further.

I'm going to start by taking the head off to see what if anything particularly jumps out at me, like split gaskets, cracked liners and any obvious signs of det. I was then going to leave a little bit of oil in each liner to see if the rings are ok, then I need to check the timing and the distribution,( I think I should be able to work this out).

Anything else I should be checking whilst the head is off? I would like to replace the fpr and the fuel filter ( I don't know where this is)

I understand the head needs to be as close to 73.5mm as possible? I'm using the head gasket with the blue rings and some high tensile bolts

I believe all the jets to be standard in the carb but I will also be checking this, while it is off!

Thanks again in advance guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Xmas investigation help needed

Fuel filter is under the car at the back next to the fuel pump. Easy to swap out for a new one.

When putting the head back on, follow the correct blot-tightening order/torque level procedure. I think it's in the Haynes manual if you can't find it on the site.