Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reno 16v Engines F7 range, conversion info required

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Maybe Scoff can spread some light on whats he done about his Gearbox issues

Gone German!!

Rob, Karen was over today to see the baby, I've given her a list of engines to pass on to Ian, should hopefully hear something today / tomorrow!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Gone German!!
    Remember reading somewhere that he has done that. Gather he has gone for a 5sp box, any troubles with space as its rather close with my 172 box, or has he moved the engine around a bit to fit it all in.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob, Karen was over today to see the baby, I've given her a list of engines to pass on to Ian, should hopefully hear something today / tomorrow! [/quote]

Ya Beauty. Better stick a JC5 on the shopping list. Might even be better snaffling a whole car!

Scott. Would be good if you could dig out some bedtime reading info.....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT K View Post
    First post!

Hello ppl,been quite some time since i was last on here. On the old site both myself and Mart discussed this engine conversion in detail.I will have to find all the info and put up.
    I was tinking about doing this conversion again,and was wondering as the 1.8 volvo engine is a F series engine could you use the crank,conrods,pistons,or even just the pistons. BB's Bluey had 250 bhp at 1 bar i belived,they used the 1.8 bottom end with a 2 litre head bigger valves.
    The volvo engine is an F-block of kinds, volvo tag it up b18ft. the crank is the same, goes right in. rods and pistons are not. rods are shorter and pistons are smaller at 81mm in the volvo.

BB's way is a good route, 250hp at 1 bar is pretty easy too on a good tune.

Post Thanks / Like

how much shorter are the rods?

Post Thanks / Like

bumpo 4 anyone in the know

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I'm sure blocky has done this, 8v 2.0l volvo lump with a 16v clio head. From what I remember it involved welding and machining oil galleries though!
    Aye lad, been there done that one, and ure rite m8 , there was welding of the oil drains and drilling out new ones. i stillhave a converted head lying around if someone wants a do. !! ?? ;-)

Rob, I've currently got a f7p motor running with 8v rsi pistons in. 1mm machined off tops to clear valves, and rebored to suit the bore increase. using 16v rods as they are stronger means there is no way of securing the gudgeon pins into the pistons due to piston differences. we got round it by machinin some teflon buttons up to fit inside the gudgeon pins ;-) If you havin a go at building one, i'll be about if you want any more info.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good one Blocky

Where you not tempted to just lower the compression on the standard 16v pistons i.e. taking some off the tops?
    Why the trouble of the rsi and then taking 1m off? I suppose I'm just looking for the easiset route to do it mate and of course whack a turbo on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by V Man View Post
    Good one Blocky

Where you not tempted to just lower the compression on the standard 16v pistons i.e. taking some off the tops?
    Why the trouble of the rsi and then taking 1m off? I suppose I'm just looking for the easiset route to do it mate and of course whack a turbo on
    I only used rsi pistons because i had a set of new ones floating about !! And i suppose to see if it worked ! It would be much easier as u say, to machine the standard valver pistons.