Post Thanks / Like

engine rebuild advice

Good evening to you all. So, time to get some advice from you all if you be so kind :-) , now what it is is my engine is now shot. Driving along the road and began to overtake so applied the throttle in 5th as was at cruising speed durring this manouver the car felt flat and heard a slight almost pop noise followed by a missfire and lack of power. I pulled over and checked over engine, looked at oil filler cap which now had a slight head gasket type mayonaise. So assumed it was that. Drove back to location slowly, only 5/6 miles or.so and temp through the roof so stopped and turned off engine. Checked filler cap again and it was pure white/brown. Once cool i started and finished the journey. However this time there was bottom end knock and a metalic "pinking" type noise if u touched the throttle anymore than a slight raise in revs. Stopped and got it towed home as it drank the whole header tank which is now in the sump???
    So, thats the story of the engine failure. Still to take it apart and see what actualy went wrong. Anyone like hazard a guess what may have happend? Engine is standard except for cooling upgrades,

Now. Because of all that happening. Im rebuilding a fresh new lump. Im going efi later on next year. I got all the parts except ecu. As i was hoping to do a before and after graph. However. Plan is to stay with the carb for now untill i do the efi. Right. Now to your advice as to "reliable" power build. I now have a T25 with .49 rear with a cossie T28 billet wheel from bernies blowers. So what else is needed to work with this. Wat jets should i use for carb? Wat boost? Wat cam? Pistons? All the usual questions. I wouldnt want to rebuild the lump for me to have all the wrong choices. All parts are getn replaced. The lot. Any advice people would be great so i can order them up and finaly have reliable quick 5. You all have great specs so by having your ideas will help me make correct 'tried n tested' method. Cheers :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: engine rebuild advice

Quote Originally Posted by wilton_warrior View Post
    Anyone like hazard a guess what may have happend?
    Long pull in 5th gear, carb bowl empty'd, run lead, head gasket if your lucky only let go.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: engine rebuild advice

As above but probably cracked a liner