Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with b18ft links

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    nope not that back to the drawing board
    Haz/mark anybody iv noticed now re looking at the loom that the grey and red wire from the injector connector ha been joined to a green wire that isn't connected to the car at all now would that be an earth or dose it need power? Only just noticed it but I never had that connected in the first place that grey and red hose to the fuel relay and then to the injectors I think

Post Thanks / Like

nope not that back to the drawing board
    Quit for today iv tapped up every nick in the wires iv retapped all the joins that was in the loom iv checked every connection to all the loom plugs cleaned all sensor prongs and now gave up as it's bloody freezing.. Tomorrow spend an hour or so re wrapping up the loom then putting it all back in.. Tidy it all back up get it back to how it was and try her again.. If it's still the same I can only think of taking the injectors out I don't know what else todo.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you get it sorted soon mate. Be worth it once its done.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

The green wire in the pink connector? Think that's for the Volvo clocks, mpg.
    Will see if I can dig out the list of which pins to test and what the values should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    The green wire in the pink connector? Think that's for the Volvo clocks, mpg.
    Will see if I can dig out the list of which pins to test and what the values should be.
    The grey and red wire is to the old fuel pump rely that you saw in my car bud.. The green wire I spoke of has been solded to the grey wire in the loom but it was behind that hard plastic so I'm thinking it must of been original? I seriously can't visually see anything the matter anywhere. Only things left I can think of is manifold gaskets? But I think mark put new on I know the inlet has new gasget on or injectors..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Hope you get it sorted soon mate. Be worth it once its done.
    Cheers bud

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you take a pic of where you mean on the loom, generally grey/red are live with ign, injectors go to green. It joins under the plastic and heads towards the relays, but not in the pink connector?
    Have you checked the condition of all 4 plugs, if they all look the same then injectors should be ok, but you may have one that's worse.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

While checking the loom did you also peel back the rubber boots on the connectors to check the wires/terminal are good too?

Post Thanks / Like

While checking the loom did you also peel back the rubber boots on the connectors to check the wires/terminal are good too?
    Yep and pushed them all in and did another beep test for continuity and they all read 6? I don't have an orange block it was an already alterd loom haz.. I have the grey n red defiantly going into the car and that grey and red go into the injector plug so I'm guessing your right it's a live for it..

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

K, pretty sure it's the mpg wire then, doesn't need connecting but is live do make sure it's insulated.
    Testing all the sensors has got to be next then, just need to find the details, laptop has been down a few weeks now

Post Thanks / Like

put it all back together and it's still exactly the same.. What's next? Injectors out?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I found a cracked injector could that be the issue? Don't shoot me I'm grabbing at anything here but it's definatley split all across the nib of it.

Also I have some 850 t5 part number 0280150785 injectors I could put on will they be ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Another wasted weekend got abosulutley no we're

So next I can only think the fuel reg could be knackerd?

Any one got a fuel reg?
    Well and truly stumped and bored of it now.. And I'm in bad books from the mrs AGAIN..

Post Thanks / Like

Right then new one.. Don't shoot me as I'm no electrition.. Toward the ecu plug the wires seem really rigid when you try to bend them.. Could this mean they are burnt? Same wire further down feel easy to bend. Perhaps it's nothing it's just a thought because I can't find f£)k all else

Post Thanks / Like

Was it not the injector(s) then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Was it not the injector(s) then
    Nope new plugs and injector still exactly the same iv tested the fuel reg with a car pump and it seems to be holding well and not leaking so I'm also thinking it's not that.. So iv gone back to what haz says and maybe the loom is fuzked just about 12" feels rigid compared to the rest but it's on the ignition side of the loom and idle ecu not the main ecu that fried

Post Thanks / Like

If the wires are very hard them yes it sounds like they are burnt mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    If the wires are very hard them yes it sounds like they are burnt mate
    I wouldn't say very hard but harder.. I have no probs cutting and joining the normal wires but there are three thick black wires but when I took the coating off they seem to have a couple of thin wires within each covered by wire then the black coating are these ok to cut a long as I join them but they won't have any outer wire covering them.. If you get my drift

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried another yet but my temp suddenly went through the roof. Looks like my new thermostat if ****ed don't tell me that could be the cause? I will go bonkers if it is... Tried it in boiling water and it didn't budge.. No way surely not!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope not that either that's it everything's coming off tomorrow sick of pissing about breaking my back having to doit round everything..

How many earths should I have?

Post Thanks / Like

Iv bought an adjustable fuel reg anybody know what psi it should be for the b18 or what it should be with my set up? Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

I had a diffrent one on haz told me to keep to the normal b18ft one as the other aee trouble setting up....ask haz mate.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    I had a diffrent one on haz told me to keep to the normal b18ft one as the other aee trouble setting up....ask haz mate.....
    Iv got it at 45psi at the min and runs well so it can't be far off when I get the car running right in the first place I will have a play with the adjustable..

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Right then new one.. Don't shoot me as I'm no electrition.. Toward the ecu plug the wires seem really rigid when you try to bend them.. Could this mean they are burnt? Same wire further down feel easy to bend. Perhaps it's nothing it's just a thought because I can't find f£)k all else
    If you mean towards the timing ecu, the wires are tighter packed, but i thought you have stripped the entire loom to check for melted wires?? Until you have looked at every inch of the loom you won't know if it's faulty.
    The black thicker wires are screened, like a tv coax. Ideally these don't want to be chopped, but if you want to shorten them do so from an end either ecu or sensor so there are no breaks.
    Not sure how you mean you've test the fuel reg, but it wants an inline gauge between fuel pump to rail, the test was to see if it was sticking making more pressure than std. Std should be 45psi. The regs mojo mentioned are the rising rate ones, can be a pain to setup. Sounds like it's not the reg?
    Is the stat the correct way round. It will open slowly in boiling water, but should open.
    There's 2 earth's in the Volvo loom, by the coil and the injectors.

Post Thanks / Like

£300 later still at the same spot. Iv given up now mr smiths coming tomorrow to help as iv exhausted my few talents and I'm just going round in circles..

Post Thanks / Like

I do genuinely feel sorry for you mate. I couldn't work out what was wrong with my afr's either.
    I would have said it was timing but it is difficult to tell. I'll be interested to see what the outcome from mr smiths visit is.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

The loom still needs to be fully checked, it may not be that but until it has been there's nothing else that's changed since before the first outing where it ran ok.
    Ben, how would the timing affect running rich? There's 2 seperate ecu's.

Post Thanks / Like

The loom still needs to be fully checked, it may not be that but until it has been there's nothing else that's changed since before the first outing where it ran ok.
    Haz iv stripped the loom to the best of my ability all covers and old volvo coverings were taken off and visually checked but I'm the first to admit I still don't know what I'm doing and now iv fried my meter.. See what mr smith finds at this point iv had it with it.. I hope it's something simple something failed but as far as every wire is separated all Knicks to wires are tapped up bad bits I think are cut out and re joined..
    My talents and patients have ran out. Good thing is I have spares for the next year now

Post Thanks / Like

If your inlet & exhaust were opening either to early or to late in relation to the spark & the position of the piston on the compression stroke (as if the cam was a tooth out) could this not cause it to run rich?

Im trying to get my head around it, but (and this is a pure stab in the dark) if the spark was to late (i.e. the piston has already begun the power stroke) could this cause the gaseous mixture to not ignite properly resulting in the 02 lambda seeing a rich mixture.

having said all that I could be talking complete rubbish

Post Thanks / Like

So the very nice man mr smith came over to save me and tested everything on the loom and sensors and it all seemed to work out so that just left.. Is one of the injectors staying open? So I swopped a couple around from some spares and tried again and it only fired on three. But atleast for the first time it actually went lean so hopefully if I can get some decent injectors that maybe the fault..

So who's got some good volvo injectors spare?

Post Thanks / Like

It's ok I have some injectors on the way I hope it's them

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent effort to resolve this without having resorting to torching it

Fingers crossed that you've nailed it this time.

Post Thanks / Like

AGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Iv tried everything it's not the injectors

So now timing can someone explain how to...

Post Thanks / Like

How can the timing have changed overnight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    How can the timing have changed overnight?
    God knows iv changed everything bar the loom and haven't checked the timing that's it everything else has been swopped it just constantly runs rich.. Fires up straight away at 14.9 then hits the tens.. Mega pissed off now runs out of mot tomorrow.. I truly am lost and skint because of the dam thing. ****ed off with it would be understatement might just buy that loom off eBay cos iv had it..

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the loom, if everything was running sweet when first installed the the problems stated when the wiring loom was chipped through it could still be damaged in vaious other places when it shorted out

Will search the spare garage for you on weekend, don't get change to go in there during the week

Post Thanks / Like

Guys can I use a volvo 480 starter motor on my 5 box? Cheers I think there cheaper new than for a 5 one..

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the size of your flywheel 215mm and the 5 starter wont work as it uses 10 teeth. If u have the smaller 200mm flywheel then the 5 starter (9 teeth) will work. So count your teeth or know the size of your flywheel. Think thats right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    Depends on the size of your flywheel 215mm and the 5 starter wont work as it uses 10 teeth. If u have the smaller 200mm flywheel then the 5 starter (9 teeth) will work. So count your teeth or know the size of your flywheel. Think thats right
    Cheers iv orders a 5 one now as that's what I had onit it was the solenoid that failed onit x2 in a week they were both old one though... Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Use the Volvo starter, just remember to position the dowel on the outer lug on the gearbox not the inner

I don't think the flywheel diameters change between 200mm and 215mm clutch's, its just the mounting holes for the clutch that differ

Post Thanks / Like

Finally sorted it it seems when we tried the new ecu before finding the cuts in the loom it had fried that too new ecu and everything's ok £300+ mistake and many late nights stripping for nothing bloody cars thanks Gary for the new ecu and thanks for all the advice guys one positive I now know every inch of a b18 literally. Now hopefully it will be a good years boosting

Post Thanks / Like

Finally sorted it it seems when we tried the new ecu before finding the cuts in the loom it had fried that too new ecu and everything's ok £300+ mistake and many late nights stripping for nothing bloody cars thanks Gary for the new ecu and thanks for all the advice guys one positive I now know every inch of a b18 literally. Now hopefully it will be a good years boosting
    Good news mate, glad you got there in the end!

Post Thanks / Like

indeed matey good news so what was it in the end! the wiring or ecu or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    Sounds like it was both in the end, shame the new ecu he fitted before fried straight away with the damaged loom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    The wires had like fused together a total of 5 so that killed my first ecu then we put another ecu on before we saw the wires.. Bit of a pisser really but live and learn it's a new thing for me this efi Larky. Lesson learnt

Post Thanks / Like

Great news you got it sorted. You deserve it with all the effort youve put in.

Post Thanks / Like

The wires had like fused together a total of 5 so that killed my first ecu then we put another ecu on before we saw the wires.. Bit of a pisser really but live and learn it's a new thing for me this efi Larky. Lesson learnt
    im still learning too matey, well least it sorted so it all started with the wires cutting through the alternator belt, best getting boosting now boss pmsl

Post Thanks / Like

great news

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Mot hopefully on Tuesday then I'm going to hammer the little France/Swedish bitch